Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Best way to find out vehicle history?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Best way to get vehicle history?

Just wondering what you guys use to check your vehicle history over the years? I know there is CarFax but it’s a little pricey and would at least want to make sure it could pull info for the last 30 years.

I’ve got an 88 Runner and supposedly the engine was replaced a few years ago. I wasn’t able to get the paperwork on it so I am hoping some kind of vehicle history report will tell me.

thanks for any suggestions you can offer

Last edited by gilesitis; 11-27-2018 at 05:48 PM. Reason: More info
Old 11-27-2018, 08:21 PM

Received 216 Likes on 158 Posts
I highly doubt a carfax or any other report will show you much, unless it was done at the dealer and they reported it. Most reports are entered by dealerships and insurance and change of ownerships and on an 88.....I bet the only thing you will find is the owner history. You can try but I feel you will be wasting your money.

Last edited by Discombobulated; 11-27-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:17 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Most dealerships have a subscription service to CarFax so it doesn't cost them anything (more) to get you a CarFax report. If you have a friend that works at a dealership ask if they can print you one. That's where I got mine for free.

CarFax doesn't show everything, it only shows everything that was reported. So everything at the DMV, insurance claims, inspections if your state has them, most dealership stuff, and sometimes work from small shops. Also, I've been told certain places have the ability to change or delete records so keep that in mind if you're using it to shop for a car. What it shows might be helpful but having a "clean" record is not totally meaningful. It is kind of cool to see all the places your truck has been. I bought mine from Pennsylvania but it was impressively rust free at the time. Turns out it was in California until 1999, then it was totaled and ended up in New Jersey. It was totaled again and then made its way to Pennsylvania for a few years before I bought it.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks everyone looks like CarFax is the way to go