Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Any members near Marietta, Oh?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 12:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Any members near Marietta, Oh?

I'm probably going to be rebuilding the 22re in my 85 4runner this summer, if the block still has enough metal to machine (rebuilt 15 years ago). I've been getting more familiar with this engine over the past year, but I don't have a puller or stand and have zero experience engine building. Got the fsm, a good set of sockets and wrenches, but if anyone can give a newbie some build guidance that would be awesome.
Old 06-16-2016, 02:16 PM

This is the runner you'd be helping out. It's at 238,500mi, has developed what might be rod knock, and compression is 152,155,143 and 132 at cyl 4. 4 was at 105psi, but that engine restore junk raised it. May have killed bearings, though!

Camping in wv on it's last trip until it's rebuilt
Old 06-19-2016, 01:44 PM

Btw, just in case someone saw this and though I was asking for free help, it would be a paying job. As long as you don't need as much as the cost to rent a cherry picker and engine stand all's good.

The tps went bad so a new one's on its way. I'll calibrate it, check timing and valves if needed, put compression test results up and post a short video of the running engine to see if anyone here might have some advice. Thanks in advance.
Old 06-29-2016, 01:09 PM

I began tearing it down because it sounded horrible when I fired it up with new tps and guess what? No driver's side timing guide! Doh!

With the help of the fsm and knowledge that if I don't do this no one will, I'll be pulling the fuel rail, head, oil pan and timing cover tomorrow.

The exhaust was a mess, manifold's getting replaced. The shop that put it on years ago welded the air injection ports shut, put what they said were 2 helicoils in but actually just 2 larger studs, and 4 of them were loose including the bigger ones.

My plan is to use osk timing kit with new cover, check bearings/rings, use another oem head casting with new studs, reuse my rocker and cam if they look good, new exhaust manifold, get block plates for PAIR ports and try to get my IACV working (never had fast idle).

This thing is really stock and I don't mind keeping it that way. Only exceptions are no air injection and I deleted the egr that was capped off when I got it.

Does this plan sound ok? Any tips or things to look out for would be great, but this thread hasn't been popular, so I'll just stick to my fsm and search through build threads already on here.

You can see a piece of guide down there and some light gouging.

Here's where I got to so far. Removing more than I need to so it's easier to clean everything. I really want to remove the ugly black spray paint some moron put in there when it got stolen.

Cheap exhaust gaskets don't hold up well
Old 07-13-2016, 08:39 AM

For anyone who read this thread, if you're in the same boat as me and need to rebuild, I will suggest doing it yourself! It's real time-consuming, but not that hard and can be done the right way (machine shop and all new parts) for a lot less than buying a reman and having someone else bolt it in. Here's the link to my build page:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...thread-295743/
Old 07-20-2016, 02:53 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Would have definitely been willing to help a couple years ago when I lived in West Virginia. Sorry you didn't get any replies here to help you out. Just looked at your rebuild thread and it sure looks like you had your work cut out. Looks like the last person to rebuild it cut a bunch of corners and used the cheapest components. Looks like a really nice 4Runner, hope you got it working right.