Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

air ride suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air ride suspension?

So I have a 1992 22re pickup 4wd 5 speed manual tranny. I want to be able to tow a lightish trailer but also have a viable 4x4 for the back roads up here in British Columbia. So I know my rear suspension could use some tlc and I've had some people swear by air bags for the comfort and control while the truck is under load. However, searching these forums as I have I haven't seen anyone really post much about them. So my question stands: is it worth it to install air bags? or should I just replace my current leaf springs, as they are relatively flat and tired. Other ideas are welcome aswell I appreciate all input and opinions.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:10 AM

Received 631 Likes on 461 Posts
Some people like em, some don't.

Advantage is their adjustable load carying ability over just getting taller/stiffer springs.

I'd say to buy the highest quality ones you can find, that have a warrantee that you might actually have a chance that they will make good on when they give up the ghost.

My luck, the bags would fail the first time I really need them.

If it were me, I'd buy the springs instead, and live with the stiffer unloaded ride.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

For what it is worth I love my Super Springs but they need to be installed with good leaf springs not worn out ones .

It might be good to know just what a lightish trailer weighs it could mean something else to you .

Lightish could mean as long as the receiver is not on the ground when hooked to the truck.

Air bags do you plan to install a compressor in the truck ?? Nothing more fun then really needing them and no air around. There is a major difference between Air Bags and Air Ride Suspension

Last edited by wyoming9; 04-27-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 02:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
I think a lot of the reason you don't see much use of airbags on forums like these are because many here are striving for offroad capability - this means the airbags will be limiting rear flex or getting torn in typical installation.

I like airbags, my dad always had them on every truck he bought because he always used his trucks for hauling or towing a load. They are a cheap option vs new leaf springs, fairly easy to install. Another option is air shocks, which kinda do the same thing - not sure if they make them big enough for 4wd, but I know for sure you can get them on a 2wd Toyota pickup.

Airbags are nice because you can choose to air them up or leave them deflated if you like. You can install an air compressor or simply use the free air compressor at 95% of gas stations. Technically you could also do it by hand with a pump, since they don't take that much volume.
Old 04-27-2016, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy cow stepped out for a few lots of input thanks everyone a lightish trailer is under 3500lbs loaded as that's all this truck is rated for but by no means do I wanna run the crap out of it trying to haul that uphill and wherever right so as light as I can find with a bathroom for the wife really. As far as a compressor I do have a small 12v I use to add air to my tires whenever they're low I think that'd be fine. Ideally I'd get one put in with a reserve tank for some air horns (a bit off topic and a dream at this time). I don't know much about the difference between air ride and just bags I'm assuming it'd be doing the front aswell unless they're totally different guess I should do some more homework on the subject. I looked around a few different places for bags online mostly anywhere from 225 to 350 USD I'm assuming. Lordco here wanted 900 retail for the kit. So most likely will get some from Firestone online as its a decent brand name and hopefully more reliable as for my springs I should probably replace them anyways I'll post some pictures to give you guys an idea of what I got to work with
Old 04-27-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts
Just the rear. Putting any type of bag in the front will be lots of fab work and require new control arms and probably the loss of the front drive axles to make enough room.