Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

Adding automatic transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding automatic transmission fluid

Just pulled a bonafide dumb ass move. Changing oil and drained the transmission instead of the oil. How do I put transmission fluid back in?
Old 07-23-2017, 09:55 AM

Received 570 Likes on 449 Posts
As long as you did not run the engine without oil, you did no harm. We have all been there one time or another!

What vehicle are you working on?

The automatic transmissions in "older" cars I have seen (including my own) the dipstick tube is also the "fill" port. You will probably need a long funnel to pour the transmission fluid into the dipstick tube.

It can be difficult to read the dipstick right after you fill up the transmission because the fluid likes to stick to the sides of the dipstick tube. After you pour in the transmission fluid, let it sit for a few minutes before checking the level. Also, be sure your vehicle is level when checking the fluid so you don't overfill or underfill.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:32 PM

Don't worry I did this but I went so far as to then add motor oil and drive the thing with twice the oil and no tranny fluid.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. I found a procedure on You Tube and was able to get the correct amount of fluid in. It was actually quite easy, once I found a suitable pump. The gearhead across the street had one.