Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

ABS/Brake fluid loss

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS/Brake fluid loss

I have a 2002 4runner sr5 V6. 133K. Took it to the local garage for an annual state safety inspection. While there brake fluid leaked from around the reservoir and brake parts systems area. Any thoughts on the culprit? Possible pressure "burp" maybe? Nothing like this has ever happened before, I have put 10K in the year that I have owned it, with no problems at all.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Without seeing this in person hard to tell. As your Disc brake pads wear the piston expands and draws more fluid from the reservoir.

While there it leaked sounds a little fishy to me!! Had you been under the vehicle prior to inspection and had not seen any alleged leaking brake fluid??

It could mean you have rubber brake hoses starting to breakdown and leak.

Since the description of the problem is vague you could be taken advantage of by the garage which seems to happen all to often

Did your 4Runner pass or was it failed from the brake fluid loss. Sometimes they will tell you about a problem that will need attention but just not right away.

As I have 4 vehicles that go through this every year in Pa I seem from time to time to have the new employee at the inspection garage inventing defects during inspections. Only to have the owner take them aside and set him or her straight.

Good luck
Old 06-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Reply to wyoming9

Fishy is a good word for the "leak". I don't distrust the garage, but I don't trust them completely. My past experience with them has been fair. I have been using them for about 10 years for inspections only, I do my own work.
I wasn't under the vehicle recently, but there is not a spot or puddle to be found in the driveway or the place where I park at work. The reservoir is still showing full.
In the two days since I picked up the 4runner, the area where the fluid ran along the frame has dried. The mechanic told me that I should clean the area, and wait to see what happens. If nothing else shows up, he will put a sticker on it.
I put the thread out to see if this might be a more common problem than I thought. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:47 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

I was thinking about this driving up I 83 from York this Morning .

Did they perhaps remove the cover and slop the warm Brake Fluid over the outside and then cry leak.

Good luck but something to at least keep an eye on for awhile.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:56 PM

Funny, I can see the York Split at Harrisburg from my house.

Cover removal crossed my mind. I am watching the area.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Any kind of malfunction at the master cylinder would show up as steady loss of fluid. Slow perhaps but steady. It sounds like it got overfilled and splashed over. As you are doing just keep an eye on the level and no it does not sound like anything to be too paranoid about.

You do not mention any softness in the feel of the brake pedal so no reason to suspect air bubbles in the lines, but if you wanted something to do -a bleed and fluid replacement would not be the worst thing to do.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM

Funny thing about the fluid loss, there hasn't been any but at the garage. Obviously, they know more than theyare saying.
I cleaned the area, dry as a bone since. I was inquiring to see if there was a problem that I didn't know about.