Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

99 runner died but started right back up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 runner died but started right back up

So my 4runner shut off on me while driving to work no indications either. At first I thought a belt broke cause my power steering went out but when I pushed the gas to accelerate I noticed the car had shut off everything stayed on like it was in accessory mode. Put it in neutral while rolling turned the key and it started right up. Made it to work popped the hood checked my terminal connections they were good checked the alternator connections they were good wiggled wires to see if I had a shirt or loose connection somewhere and nothing all fluid legislation are good and tested battery and alternator and they checked out holding strong at 14.26 with ac on high. Drove it home after work roughly 16 miles and no issue. I'm thinking maybe fuel filter or I had a bunch of stuff on key ring so maybe the weight messed with the switch or my knee hit it. (On the ride home all I had on the key ring was the Toyota key and fob). I have googled and read the articles that popped up but everyone's issue was similar except they had to wait a bit before the vehicle would start up again or it would not start up again.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:16 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Did the MIL come on and stay on??

Did you read any of the codes ??

Just how did you check your connections ?? Look and call them good ??
Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only engine codes are for a o2 sensors. As far as how I checked the connections I left it running and wiggled the wires and harnesses to see if it would shut off