Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

96 4Runner 4x4 not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 4Runner 4x4 not engaging

Hello folks, Yep, the first day of snow and I find that the 4wd doesn't engage. No clicks. No traction. No light. It's a 96 4Runner with automatic transmission. The tranny was replaced last February with a remanufactured one from Napa and 4wd worked after that. But I haven't tried it for at least four months. Nothing happened today. I checked on the snowy road and slid a bit when normally 4wd wouldn't. Then turning into my driveway is clunky in 4wd but today acted like in 2wd.
Someone suggested warming it up, running it for a while. I can do that since I'm home. It's around freezing temps here today. My mechanic in Santa Fe can't help until Nov 8th so hopefully no more snow for a week!
Any ideas? Thanks, Sam
Old 11-29-2016, 12:32 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

These ADD systems should really be engaged about once a month.

Nothing like waiting till you need it to find out it does not work

No light at all sounds electrical!!

Have you checked the fuses

Do you know what system you have ??The 2/4 select switch or not

Troubleshooting is different for each . If your new to this system it can be confusing
Old 11-29-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for getting back to me. It's new to me but I'm pretty practical so not too intimidated. I'll look for an online manual tomorrow. I couldn't see any loose hoses. Fluids are good. I'll check fuses in the morning. Driving around, reversing, shifting in and out of 4h didn't work, no clunk, no lights...