Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

91 Hilux Surf Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
91 Hilux Surf Questions

Hey Everyone!

Long time lurker so thanks for all the great advice over the years! I have owned two second-gen 4 runners and recently left my 95 in Mexico for next year. I bought a 91 Hilux Surf with 130000km so I am pretty stoked! Apart from an engine swap, I have done almost everything on the second gens, but the diesel is a new beast for me.
After my initial research, I have a few questions. I have googled and searched the forums so sorry if it is already out there.
  1. Looking for parts seems to be tough. I am in Canada and most parts are UK or Aus. I have the 2LTE, I know it is the electronic version of the 2LT and can find lots of parts for 2LT but not many for 2LTE. Are they interchangeable? all or just some?
  2. The Prado and the Land Cruiser both used the 2LTE. Can I use those same parts or would it be different for some reason?
  3. I am reading a lot about the heads cracking on the 2LTE. I drive mine about 10000km a year. I tow a small Seadoo trailer(about 1000lb) over a small 1156' but steep mountain 8 times a year. Otherwise, I am doing about 60-90km in air temps between 20-30C. I am in no rush when towing and generally pretty nice to the engine. A bit of 4X4 but mostly moving boats in and out of a gravel beach and up a small hill so no heavy duty or extended use. Should I be ok or am asking for trouble?
  4. Overheating seems to be the main cause of the cracked heads. I am installing a new water temp gauge and probe, boost gauge, EGT gauge, removing EGR valve and keeping a tight eye on everything. Other options I am looking at in the future are a snorkel, an intercooler and bigger exhaust. What other options do I have? Am I going overboard? Not far enough?
  5. Where is the best place for temp and EGT probe? Before turbo on the manifold for EGT, I have seen in the past. Temp probe beside thermostat or in outlet hose?
  6. It has auto locks which are great, but whenever I close the driver or passenger door, they unlock and I have to manually lock them with the key. Anybody ever dealt with this?
  7. Finally, I have heard of people using toilet paper rolls for fuel/oil filters after mods. Searched a bit but couldn't find anything good. Has anybody done this?
I appreciate any help or advice and thanks in advance!