Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

86 Transfer Case Gear Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
86 Transfer Case Gear Oil Leak

I have an 86 4x4 22re that just this morning started "pouring" dripping a lot or gear oil from transfer case area. It almost appears to be coming out of output shaft for front drive, however it is hard to tell. The cross support member right below that output shaft is where i see the most oil coming from. But it also looks like it has run down from the top where the shifters are, is that possbile? I have looked through the threads and found some clues such as breathers may be plugged, and going to start with cleaning and installing new output seals on both shafts to see if that's the problem. Any other pointers would be much appreciated and any other problems that it may be and should be looked while its clean. Luckily i pulled the tranny/case just about a year ago, so if its got to be pulled again it shouldn't be stuck.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:52 PM

I got it home, and got to get under it in day time..what is see is oil is coming from top of tranny. I pulled boots out of inside and plate to get to top and the tranny shifter boot on the shift retainer is torn. and there is oil all on top of case. So my concern now is finding that boot and to see if i should be looking for another issue or would that boot being torn be all the issue? attached i think is image of the concern. the transfer case shifter appears fine(no oil) and i have yet to find any breathers to check. Any input would be helpful and so far i haven't been able to find the boot.
Attached Thumbnails 86 Transfer Case Gear Oil Leak-img_1079-1-.jpg  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:59 PM

You can get that boot from Marlin Crawler or a toyota dealer might have it. I'd replace the shifter seat also.
That boot doesn't keep the gear oil inside, there is a oil slinger plate under the shifter housing
Old 01-07-2014, 02:36 PM

Thanks JasonYota! so quick question on that. I found it on marlin crawler: boot, slinger, seat all...But question is would that slinger or seat just wear out? And that is for the 5 speed not the transfer case? Just making sure (haven't dealt with tranny much other than clutch replace) but was concerned that the boot wasnt the only issue.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check the levels in both the transmission and t-case. The seal between the two can go bad and cause overfilling/starvation by transferring oil from one to the other.

So check the levels, if one is near empty, and if the other is over full, chances are the seal needs replacement. Otherwise, the shifter parts from Marlin will seal the top. Give Marlin a call or send an email. They're not super fast about replying, but the website may be able to get you what you need.

Last edited by rokblok; 01-07-2014 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by no_3of4
Thanks JasonYota! so quick question on that. I found it on marlin crawler: boot, slinger, seat all...But question is would that slinger or seat just wear out? And that is for the 5 speed not the transfer case? Just making sure (haven't dealt with tranny much other than clutch replace) but was concerned that the boot wasnt the only issue.
I believe the shifter seats for the t-case are blue, on marlins website. There are oil slingers under both transfer case and transmission shifter housings.
As said above check the levels in both. The seal around the shifter housing could have went out also.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:41 AM

Thanks for all the advice. So I have spent this morning hard at work (searching this forum) reading all i can find on the w56 tranny. What i have seen is usually that if the seal between the transfer case and tranny fails, the oil goes into the transfer case. Is that true or just some times? The issue i am having is the gear oil is coming out of the transmission not the transfer case. I am still going to get it in the shop and check the levels, and order the new upper end parts.