Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

5vz-fe into mk3 supra

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5vz-fe into mk3 supra

So I'm not exactly sure if this is where I should be posting this. If I'm posting in the wrong place for this sorry.
My names spencer. I have an 89 supra that I'm interested in putting a 5vz into. My 7mgte is kinda gone and id like to give this a shot. A friend of mine recently put a 3vz into his mr2 and I have another friend with a 5v in his. My problem is they're na and I plan to use the audi bi turbo setup I pulled from and audi quatro s4, so I'm looking into megasquirt. I have a friend that's had experience tuning with it, but it was a miata and the previous owner had switched everything over to gm sensors and such. So I guess my questions are…
Should I go with ms2 or the pnp system that runs microsquirt?
If I go with the ms2 should I modify my existing harness to work with the oem sensors or would it be best to replace the oem sensors with the gm stuff?
For a turbo application should I run 6 coil packs or stick with the stock 3+plugs?
Sorry if any of this sounds stupid I'm just tryin to figure out what I've been told is bs and what is real. Thanks for your time
Pg
Old 07-08-2012, 12:17 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

First of all welcome

I think you might be better off looking in at CelicaSupra.com

I am curious just how your going to fabricate the exhaust manifold /manifolds

You also might run into a compression problem meaning this is going to get real expensive real quick.

It would be so much cheaper to just rebuild the 7MGTE.

Be nice to know where you are??
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 AM

I'm in athens alabama a few miles west of huntsville. As far as the exhaust manifolds my roommmates family has everything needed to fab them up minus flanges. If your meanin turbo placement I'm not 100% sure but I doubt it'll be top mount. We've thrown ideas around about it, but I really don't forsee much of an issue. As far as the intake mani is concerned if I can't make the stock one work then I guess well get to fabbing up a plenum. This is my main stress relief from my job as a tech at a hospital so there are no time constraints. What compression issues do you feel I might run into? I really feel, as do a few members of supramania, that the v6 could give the car a bit better handling and as this 5v was free worst case I wasted my time since ms2 could be used on the 7m rebuilt. And I came her for questions cause I've been told over and over that this is the forum to go to for reliable info on toyota v6s. Thanks for your time I appreciate any input
Old 07-08-2012, 01:10 AM

From what I hear, the GM sensors are easy to work with if you go Megasquirt or something similar. I don't foresee that much being an issue.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:20 AM

Well as of now this swap isnt lookin to pretty. I made the mistake of relying on people with supposed knowledge of these motors and all their information was false. so before I let this motor just sit and rot im considering selling it and just rebuilding my 7m. How much do these motors usually sell for? I have no experience with 5vz's but the motor is in decent shape and would be a perfect swap canindate for someone not looking to put it in a supra.