Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

4runner body on standard cab frame :P

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 12:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4runner body on standard cab frame :P

So yeah here's the dealeeooo thought i would post this thread in noob section just because i know this has been covered kinda before, i know its possible, this is more of a opinion thread and advice thing lol. if i do go through with such a swap, then this thread will be a "how to" with pic's and all but first lets talk about it

Alright, my buddy has a 91 2door v6 4runner, it has a bad 3vze, the thing is going to need some suspension work but the body and interior is clean. Now i have a 91 standard cab 22re, tons of work done, and its basicaly good for another 400k km's. So i was talking with a couple friends and we started shooting this idea around. frames are the same ( besides mounts "no biggie") my drive trains and suspension is perfect, and i really want a 4runner... So i figure, buy it from him, put the 4runner body on my frame and have a 22re 5spd, 2 door 4runner that is ready to go. then part the standard cab body and old 4runner frame off, or make a 3vze pickup? So im really down to do this but i need some more advice on it. i will end up SASing the thing and it will be a beast. or i could rebuild the whole 4runner like i did with my truck and sas my perfect truck?

So let me know what you think

oyah and dont say ( why not just sas and drive your truck and froget the 4runner) no lol i have wanted a black 2nd gen 4runner since i first saw one and its time, i want the room and i just plain love 4runners
Old 08-11-2010, 03:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're willing to put the time, money and effort into it then why not? But personally it seems like more trouble then its worth. Oh and I have to correct you, FIRST GEN 4RUNNERS ARE THE BEST!
Old 08-11-2010, 06:28 PM

haha 1st gens are dope but i love the lines of a 2nd gen and i love how they are set up overall. The whole interior is more roomy feeling and the grill of a 90 to 91 4runner is my favorite of any other toyota and the rear tire carrier looks awesome too, not too mention a black 90 to 91 4runner haha. but i will have a 1st gen at some point lol.

So nobody else cares to give any input?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:21 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
lol, I think half way through you'll be kicking yourself wondering "now why didn't I buy some ball joints and repair that V6?"

Right off the bat you're gonna need LOTS of room. B/c where you gonna put one, while you're working on one? And vise versa?
Old 08-11-2010, 09:32 PM

yea..it's not hard to do though if you have about 10 guys lmao..it's all about goin slow and getting all the mounts just right

you COULD find a 84-85 pickup or 4runner (standard cab shortbed pickup) and then just put the 2nd gen runner body onto the old 1st gen frame!!!!

solid front axle AND a 2nd gen 4runner

i'm seeing lots of 1st gen frames around...bad bodies..blown motors..blown tranny.

i do NOT have the room for such a swap..but if i did..i know where a 85 standard cab shortbed pickup frame is WITH a 97 3.4 is with a blown R150 tranny..motor runs flawlessly..guy doesn't wanna fix it up because the body is THRASHED..has a 4in MC lift, and some 36" IROKS that need to be replaced. open diffs though.

he wants $2000 for it..which i think is definitely reasonable lol..
Old 08-12-2010, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
lol, I think half way through you'll be kicking yourself wondering "now why didn't I buy some ball joints and repair that V6?"

Right off the bat you're gonna need LOTS of room. B/c where you gonna put one, while you're working on one? And vise versa?
yeah thats my other plan kinda... i dont have too much room, im actually trying to see if i can make room for the runner lol. i want it so bad and im tired of how small the standard cab is. but... on the other side my little yota is like a part of me so i dont want to sell it really lol.

what i would really like is my standard cab become the sas'd trail machine and use the 4runner as my DD running some 33"s and clean. So i could throw my good front end from my std cab when i sas and use it on the runner and maybe find a 3.4 or a cheap decent 3vze?
Old 08-12-2010, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by camo31"10.50"
yea..it's not hard to do though if you have about 10 guys lmao..it's all about goin slow and getting all the mounts just right

you COULD find a 84-85 pickup or 4runner (standard cab shortbed pickup) and then just put the 2nd gen runner body onto the old 1st gen frame!!!!

solid front axle AND a 2nd gen 4runner

i'm seeing lots of 1st gen frames around...bad bodies..blown motors..blown tranny.

i do NOT have the room for such a swap..but if i did..i know where a 85 standard cab shortbed pickup frame is WITH a 97 3.4 is with a blown R150 tranny..motor runs flawlessly..guy doesn't wanna fix it up because the body is THRASHED..has a 4in MC lift, and some 36" IROKS that need to be replaced. open diffs though.

he wants $2000 for it..which i think is definitely reasonable lol..
yeah decent idea but the i would have 3 trucks lmao i barley have room for one maybe two trucks. if i had the room than i would be all over buying that truck and doing that lol.

oyah and say i run the 4runner body on my std cab frame, i would insure it under the 4runner right?

thanks for the replies
Old 08-12-2010, 01:18 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
repair the suspension and 3.4 swap the runner.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 AM

yeah? i mean i don't have much money at the moment so it will be sitting for a while. now if somebody gives me the right money for my truck than i would just sas the runner and 3.4 in a heart beat lol. hmmm
Old 08-12-2010, 02:03 AM

maybe i will get some pics of the runner for you guys tomorrow
Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 AM

i turned my old 88 pickup into a 4runner 84 in high school. it took three days and is relativly easy. all of the cab mounts for the truck should line up with the 4runners. i had a 3in. body lift that i kept. removed two pucks where the bed mopunts were and they were the right height to bolt under the body, if it doesnt make sense i can elaborate, i only had to cut off two mounts to make it work. make sure you take the gas tank too as the fillers are slightly different. go for it, find a 22re turbo bellhousing and use you v6 transmission and chain t case from pickup. that would make a killer setup. i say do it
Old 08-12-2010, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some times I think, and nothing Happens.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iselloil
Some times I think, and nothing Happens.
I gave up thinking a long time ago. All it did was get me into trouble.
Old 08-12-2010, 06:40 AM

Sounds like more work than its worth.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:39 AM

its not alot of work, i did it when i was 18 with a buddy in three days, now if i had to do it again i could probably do it in 24 hours, not to mention the pride factor after accomplishing a big task
Old 08-12-2010, 09:03 AM

Definitely sounds like a lot of work, but then so does a "SAS"... do what makes you feel good and enjoy it when you're done... That's what works for me...
Old 08-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by blake.nemitz
i turned my old 88 pickup into a 4runner 84 in high school. it took three days and is relativly easy. all of the cab mounts for the truck should line up with the 4runners. i had a 3in. body lift that i kept. removed two pucks where the bed mopunts were and they were the right height to bolt under the body, if it doesnt make sense i can elaborate, i only had to cut off two mounts to make it work. make sure you take the gas tank too as the fillers are slightly different. go for it, find a 22re turbo bellhousing and use you v6 transmission and chain t case from pickup. that would make a killer setup. i say do it
wow 3 days thats nuts lol i would just use the whole drive line from the pickup too. both have chain t cases anyways lol. the biggest problem i have is room and i think it would suck to swap the body on my truck and not put the truck body on the 4runner frame... thing is, i could just swap both bodys to the different frames but i wouldnt be able to sell the other truck? so those are my thoughts so far haha

oyah im always thinking of things i wanna do, and like so many other people, the only thing holding me back is money lol this swap will be cheap and i will have a 4runner wouldnt a bnlack 2ng gen 2door 22re 5spd 4runner be sick lol
Old 08-12-2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by jammer1313
Definitely sounds like a lot of work, but then so does a "SAS"... do what makes you feel good and enjoy it when you're done... That's what works for me...
SAS isnt that hard. people like to assume its tuff because there is welding and cutting going on lol. when i sas im going to get my friends dad who is a heavy duty mechanic weld everything, other than that its all learning the trick of the trade thanks to yotatech im sure i can do SAS without too man problems
Old 08-23-2010, 01:30 AM

So hey triple post yeeee

anyways so im getting my buddies 4runner in my shop some time this week, will get some pics and what not. im leaning towards the body swap a little more now. ive almost given up on selling my truck lol. its just not worth it for me to sell it but im tired of the thing. So look my trucks floor is rusted a bit, box is beaten up decently, has a billion tree scrapes along the whole body. so really the trucks body is crap.

So if i body swap i can have no rust floor 4runner, no dents or scratches (yet), and i can use the pickup doors for half doors. i can also use the good fenders from the truck and i will have a spare hood too .

oyah and i can use the 4runners v6 thirds, which i am certain are 4.56's too . my rear third is screwed anyways lol.

so yeah please reply with your thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 08:37 AM

i know im late on this but ive done the frame swap except i did a extra cab frame cut it in half and put the 4runner back half on it to make a 2wd 4runner when i was into custoizing mini trucks. now i have a 1990 3.4 swap 4runner. ill be more than happy to sell it.haha.

Quick Reply: 4runner body on standard cab frame :P