Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

3.0 engine driving me insane

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 engine driving me insane

Good evening ladies and gentlemen. I have a 1994 Toyota 4Runner V6 automatic 4x4 that is evil. I bought it from a guy a few months ago knowing the head gasket was bad. Drove it till it exploded and tore the engine apart to discover it was ˟˟˟˟ed. So I bought a rebuilt engine and installed it. I also installed a new maf, radiator,power steering pump. Fired it up and emediatley had vacuum problems....it has very poor power at low speed and it feels like it’s shifting really late. My rpms will redline before second or third. It can’t climb hill and has no torque. So I went through the vacuum diagram and made sure they were all good. Still ˟˟˟˟. It drinks gas and smell like it’s running super rich. So I decided to take the intake off again and make sure it was really sealed. Also pulled all the plugs and they were carbon fowled...the egr that I had cleaned was super dirty...did a compression check and was low in all cylinders 125 across the board...literally not more than a pound difference between any cylinders. I’m at a loss....I’ve been ˟˟˟˟ing with this thing for 3 months and I’ve spent so much I can’t just sell it off. Please share some wisdom thanks
Old 01-28-2018, 08:30 PM

I had just typed out a huge response. But this webaite doeant have an airspace. I'm not typing it again.
motor is pribably clapped out, but chexk things again like vacuum to fuel pressure reg.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Exercise your warranty on the rebuild.

Pretty sure that compression ratio is below spec, exercise your warranty with the builder.

That won't help your shift problems, these use an ECT (electronic controlled transmission) and its wither FUBAR, not getting the correct signals, or something else semi-catastrophic.

PS, you likely already know but it's known as the 3.slow for a reason, its not a rocket and over size or heavy tires only make it worse.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM

Pps

Elaborate on vacuum problems.

Be aware that the shift pattern relies on the throttle position, its going to shift later if the pedal is to the floor ect.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Pretty sure that compression ratio is below spec, exercise your warranty with the builder.

That won't help your shift problems, these use an ECT (electronic controlled transmission) and its wither FUBAR, not getting the correct signals, or something else semi-catastrophic.

PS, you likely already know but it's known as the 3.slow for a reason, its not a rocket and over size or heavy tires only make it worse.
Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Elaborate on vacuum problems.

Be aware that the shift pattern relies on the throttle position, its going to shift later if the pedal is to the floor ect.
There is a vacuum gauge that is plugged into one of the vacuum ports in the throttle body that shows if it’s in the green or red and it’s always shown that vacuum pressure is low. So your saying that the shifts could be off if the idle is set wrong?
Old 01-28-2018, 10:39 PM

You need an actual number to go along with that vacuum reading, its not the same on all engines.

I am saying the shift point is partially based on the throttle position. Not the idle (idl) contacts, but the signal level that tells it percentage of throttle opening.

22re a340 shift schedule, from 1988 fsm.

Notice it doesn't shift from first to second untill 2250ish. And again second to third is delayed until ~3750. When the throttle is 100% open.

For example at wide-open it will shift from second to third at a max of 79 mph with the throttle open fully (reference the chart). IE throttle dependant...

You need to find this similar page in the FSM that corresponds to you model year and engine.