Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

22r possible blown HG?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
22r possible blown HG?

having some problems with my truck, its an 86 22r 4x4 5speed etc

Recently (as its been getting colder, starting to stay below freezing), I've been burning what looks like white smoke mixed with a hint of blue for about 30 seconds or so, then it'd go away. I've been running hot, and noticed my coolant was low, so I topped it off and its running cool again. Checked the coolant on startup after I topped it off and its bubbling, but I'm not sure if that's just the air escaping from the system. The truck also has a funny misfire when first started which it never had before.

After it gets running its okay, no smoke or anything and no loss of power. Oil seems to be oil, and not milky or mixed with water/coolant from what I can see, and there's no residue on the oil cap.

Haven't done a compression test but everything seems the same. Tonight it started running like It was way rich, so I messed with the setting and it sounds way rich al the time, either that or its choking itself out. Noticed tonight my AAP which is both capped on the vacuum hose fitting AND on the vacuum hose was puking fuel, which it never has done before. Now the misfire is very noticeable and its hard to start SOMETIMES.

I drove it around for awhile today and other then sounding like it was way rich and popping and sorta backfiring it was fine and still powerful and had no smoke.

Went out and started it after it cooled down and it was just puking thick oily bluish white smoke at idle for better then a minute before I got aggravated and just shut it off and went inside

I guess I should check compression?

so what does It sound like? Headgasket AND valve seals?

Piston rings?

On a side note, my new plugs that are only a month or two old seem to be in pretty rough shape considering my Distributor vacuum advance is blown and timing is way off at high revs (freeway speeds).

My exhaust is pretty short and comes out right infront of the wheel well, just a CAT and no muffler, I think its about 2" wire conduit I used for the exhaust. Could this be a warped valve?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:21 PM

another side note, only 128k
Old 01-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Also, pulled the plugs out today and they looked okay besides looking a little too hot/rich/bad timing.

None were cleaner then others, which I understand is from the coolant burning. They all seem to be just right
Old 01-17-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like you are on the right track to figuring it out. my only thought is smell the exhaust next time you see the smoke. its obvious if its coolant or oil......you can also check the radiator to see if there is oil floating in it.

if you are consistently losing coolant, ya i'd suspect a blown head gasket. and with 128k, i'd suspect valve seals before piston rings
Old 01-18-2013, 01:22 PM

I am constantly losing coolant, so far no milkshake in the oil and plugs are dry/not clean. It had a nasty misfire today from idle to about 15-2000rpms. Came home and adjusted the timing all the way...down. That seemed to solve the problem but I know its not right.

So far no exhaust smell in the heat when its turned on.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:57 PM

should I drain some coolant into a cup and look for oil?
Old 01-18-2013, 02:45 PM

you can try that. did you smell the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe?

does it smell sweet?

ya and that timing thing, something is up.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM

pulled my plugs out again today, #1 was soaked.

how I can tell wether its the HG or timing cover?
Old 01-18-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by maachine
sounds like you are on the right track to figuring it out. my only thought is smell the exhaust next time you see the smoke. its obvious if its coolant or oil......you can also check the radiator to see if there is oil floating in it.

if you are consistently losing coolant, ya i'd suspect a blown head gasket. and with 128k, i'd suspect valve seals before piston rings
id have to agree.....get on it before its catostropic!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 04:41 PM

timing cover?

does coolant flow through the timing cover?

i'm pretty sure you have a blown head gasket. do a compression test, or a leak down test. if you're not sure what that is......google it. all kinds of information on how to determine where a leak is coming from.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:07 PM

if its the timing chain eating through the cover,it will cause your antifreeze to leak into your oil.
Old 02-05-2013, 01:07 PM

So how would I come about diagnosing a blown headgasket vs. a timing chain cover. I have coolant in my oil, and it looks like my coolant is mixing with something (i'm assuming oil). Spark plug #1 seemed to be wet.

Could it be the timing cover?
Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Take off the valve cover and look at the sides of the timing cover where it's near the timing chain....if the guides are gone, and there are chain-width grooves along the inside of the cover, it's likely that's what's causing the coolant to leak/mix.

But it could be both that and your HG.

I would think a compression test would help identify if you had a leaking HG?
Old 02-05-2013, 03:28 PM

the plugs could still get wet even if its the t-chain cover?
Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM

yes, a compression test would help to figure out a head gasket leak. if the plugs are wet i would suspect a head gasket leak. everything you've mentioned so far shows the symptoms of a head gasket leak. at this point....just tear the thing apart and get after it. as long as you can do the work yourself.......it shouldnt be expensive. even if it isnt a head gasket leak, by this point........just tearing the thing apart will show what the issue is.

Last edited by maachine; 02-05-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm with Maachine....if you're handy, you can do this. I probably will have to soon as I have a trickle leak on the ouside of my head/block mating surface. I've done a timing chain replacement, and the HG isn't much more on top of that project I've heard. If I can do it....

The parts for HG are only about $100 if nothing else needs replaced - this is for gasket and new head studs (you'll want to get new ones since the old ones could be in danger of snapping).

Check out toyotapartszone.com for the HG - I would go OEM. Head bolts you can get from ENGNBLDR.com.

DIY guides are all over if you search - 92 TOY has a great one here- check it out - lots of photos and he was a total noob when he started.

good luck!