Newbie Tech Section Often asked technical questions can be asked here

1997 Tacoma Diesel ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No what I'm saying is that Bio d, while its been around for a while has not taken off to the point that average Joe considers it. To have your own filter system so you can run used cooking oil takes cash to set up etc etc. I think Bio d is very American and awesome. I just don't have a diesel to take advantage of it.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:15 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by survivorman97

Side note to tried4x2signN, what do you mean when you say bio diesel is a federal offense? Is this the same thing as having waste vegetable oil setup on your truck? why is this breaking the law?

Are you serious?

For the same reasons they dye On-Road and Off-Road Diesel different colors, and if you get stopped and have the wrong dye, you get a ticket...

ROAD TAXES. Off-Road Diesel has NOT had Road Taxes paid on it and as a result costs lower...

And YOU WILL get a ticket, IF you're stopped and checked for the dye...

Where do you guys think you live? Every Merican MUST do his part and pay their fair share of taxes.

Failure to do so will be the responsibility of the user.

Originally Posted by KryptoRoxx
I think Bio d is very American and awesome.
lol, that's NOT how politics works...

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 01-22-2011 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 07:58 PM

I know but I can still dream right. There are other techs out there like the hydro setup that turns water into hydrogen. I've thought about making that crossover with the 22r.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Okay Mister Tried4x2signN....i KNOW i'm right this time, because we used to run our Diesels on Bio-Diesel and even have a Bio-Diesel Processor in our Garage.

Bio-Diesel is 100% LEGAL to run in ANY diesel truck that has EVER been made.......you my good sir do NOT know what you're talking about (for once..lmao)

Off-Road diesel is illegal to run in a truck used on the road...Bio-Diesel however is NOT.

you can even sell Bio-Diesel out of your garage, but you can't sell more than a certain amount of gallons per month.

you can produce and use as much you want though, ours comes out to be about $.57/gallon

also in your last post, you show no evidence that Bio-Diesel is illegal to run, you only show evidence that it's illegal to run Off-Road diesel in a truck that's on a county/state/interstate highway.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by tried4x2signN
You do know running B-Diesel is a federal offence, right?
Federal offense?

I believe around here, you pay a lot less for your vehicle's registration if you run on Bio, LP, electric, or any other type of alternative/hybrid fuel system (stock or aftermarket). There is an entire section for that stuff at the DMV.

When bio-mass first started getting public, all the local news stations had reports of individuals running veggie oil in VWs. Some mentioned of not only saving money on fuel itself but other expenses associated with owning a car. I even know of a few state legislators who ran bio diesel in their personal vehicles until the electric hybrids were publicly released. The city and state college buses also run on bio diesel...
Old 01-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Also we can run off-road diesel on-road in registered farm equipment
Old 01-25-2011, 12:21 PM

Doesn't that chicken tax only apply to vehicles imported from overseas? Last I checked, all Tacomas and Tundras sold in North America were manufactured in the USA, therefore exempt from such tax. Wouldn't a diesel truck manufactured in the same plant also be exempt?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:41 PM

Location: Nashville TN. I can help you if you're close BUT NOBODY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FILL YOUR LOCATION IN!
Originally Posted by annoyingrob
Doesn't that chicken tax only apply to vehicles imported from overseas? Last I checked, all Tacomas and Tundras sold in North America were manufactured in the USA, therefore exempt from such tax. Wouldn't a diesel truck manufactured in the same plant also be exempt?

Good q, but I'm sure there is a law or two preventing stuff like that we don't know about.

Trust me, there is so much retarded stuff on the books, we as a people will NEVER see all of them.

And as "Made in Merica" as it sounds, I'm not sure the engines are. I'm almost certain most Toyota engines are still made in Japan... And I only use logic to assume it (the engine) will still have to pay a tariff.

So yes, part tariff (of your what-if), but still mostly competition. It's so tight and so close one thing can put one person in the poor house. (Toyota stock is publicly traded. A poor earing stock will mean no one will buy it and Toyota will loose even more, even faster)

So the cost will still be high, and ppl will still only see what else you can get for the same $$$. Because we don't buy stuff to keep it anyway...

Vehicles are investments

Here's a 2003 Toyota... Only $47,500 (Aus)

http://digiads.com.au/carsales/used-...DE-SA-5082.htm

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 01-25-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by kevtek
Federal offense?
Not sure... Depends on the, "technically" and I didn't say what the infraction resulted in

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 01-25-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ this is so sweet. This guys makes me want a diesel so bad. And as far as taxing is concerned how would this be any different than someone using their own solar panels to charge the batteries in an electric vehicle? How would they go about taxing that? The GOVT needs to just but out...
Old 01-25-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by survivorman97
The GOVT needs to just but out...

word...

Taxes, bonds, licenses, Insurance, fees, Bureau's of Criminal Investigations...

"It's like everyone with a hand stuck it in my pocket... And now i don't have a pot to piss in..." Douglas Coughlin.

Last edited by tried4x2signN; 01-25-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that's freakin funny

Last edited by survivorman97; 01-25-2011 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well OKLAHOMA didn't have anything to say to this, my dad checked around just to be safe.

we only produced like 35 gallons a week, but were capable of doing atleast 55 gallons a week.

the processor is also up for sale as both of our diesel are sold, it's in the classifieds
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Dear Toyota NORTH AMERICA... Let me start off by saying, YOU SUCK!

http://panama.es.craigslist.org/cto/2151030391.html

Then let me finish off by going and crying into my pillow.

It should be MSRP then add another 25% to it...

Whatever the MSRP was...
Old 02-02-2011, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Not to keep the pot boiling but I was told by Toyota Can. when I asked a few years ago that the reason they did not offer their diesels in NA anymore was a combination of low sales when they did have one (up to 85 model yr.) and the fact that their engine could not meet the federal emissions standards in US [let alone Cali. standards] ... this emissions thing is also why you can't get a diesel Smart car anymore and VW stopped selling diesels for many yrs.
You can bring in older diesel trucks from foreign markets under rules governing specialty/enthusiast/"hot rod" classifications but it is a gray area and the rules are always changing and may even vary state to state.
As a general rule {at least in Can.} you are required to pay import duty/sales taxes on the declared value {ie. amt. you paid converted to can$} or the value of a similar vehicle already in Can., or the (customs dept.) appraised value whichever is greater.

Also I've been told said vehicle must meet all safety equipment standards applicable to vehicles of that model yr. in the country of original sale.
ie if it had airbags originally it still has to have them.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:41 AM

Diesel conversions around dallas

Has anyone around Dallas done a conversion on a Tacoma? Does anyone know of a shop that does conversions? I can't afford the $17,500 that Diesel Toyz quoted me. I have a 1998 Tacoma reg can 4x4 2.7.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 PM

I would look into other than toyota diesels if I were you....those engines are hard to find and harder to find for sale....especially in the specs that you would like. My buddy says that a Cummins 4bt would probably fit in the hood of a taco.....it would require running a different tranny probably but the engine would be more available and so would parts for the vehicle. Good luck and search around. There seems to be plenty of info out there....but you have to do a lot of digging.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Contributing Member

The 4bt can be a bit underpowered based on specs imo... check out the OME617 conversion thread here... uses a mercedes diesel so parts are very easy to get and it is very driveable