03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

when to lock the center differential?

Old 02-08-2013, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have researched alot for the 4runner limited and the trail, but still cant decide which one to buy. I didnt find a solid info comparing the offroading of both trims. I love the comfort and the interior of limited but im kinda worried about the center diff, some say its not as capable as the rear lock diff in trail edition. Can some one help me or if any one has a limited how good in it in offroad? Thanks alot you guys.
Old 02-08-2013, 09:30 AM

Center diff lock just locks the front and rear axles together, the rear locker in the jeep lock both rear tires together, giving it more traction.

You could buy an aftermarket locker and put it in the back axle of the 4runner if thats all thats keeping you from getting one.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 AM

Will there be any complication if I add the rear air locker to my 2013 4runner limited edition with center diff lock and full time 4wd system?
Old 03-15-2013, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Aria Bozorgi
Will there be any complication if I add the rear air locker to my 2013 4runner limited edition with center diff lock and full time 4wd system?
Caveat my response with the fact that I own an '08 V6 and not a 2013 4Runner...

You should not have any problems. The center diff' lock (CDL) just locks the front and rear axles together as previously described. The "full-time" 4WD is really an all-wheel drive (AWD) system, just like the 4th Gen V8 4Runners. The AWD system has power going to all-wheels, almost all the time, but the on-board computer (vehicle stability control or VSC) changes the amount of power going to each wheel according to driving conditions (this is oversimplified but you get the idea). When you hit the CDL button, you are now in 4WD with the front and rear axles trying to drive the vehicle forward with "equal" amounts of power. Of course, that power tries to take the path of least resistance, which could be a spinning or lifted wheel, which may then leave you stuck.

Adding the rear air locker would lock the rear wheels together (after you've engaged your CDL, although you could lock the rear without being in 4WD if you want to drag race your 4Runner I suppose), forcing them to receive "equal" amounts of power regardless of traction (or lack thereof). You will then have your rear wheels turning at the same rate no matter the surface you're on.

Make sense?

P.S. - I say you get the Trail Edition 4Runner. I owned a Jeep Wrangler in the past and the build quality is inferior to every 4Runner I've owned over the years; 1st Gen (rusty hunting and fishing rig); 2nd Gen (3.slow) and 4th Gen (V6 SR5).
Old 03-21-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aria Bozorgi
does this 4runner have A-trac ?

if so, you really don't need a rear locker to do 99% offroad wheeling

a locker is nice to have, but 'A-trac on' can do a ˟˟˟˟-ton at getting you moving