Total Chaos +2 MID-Travel KIT - 4th Gen 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Total Chaos +2 MID-Travel KIT - 4th Gen 4Runner

Name:  IMG_8117.jpg
Views: 11632
Size:  83.4 KB

FOR THOSE THAT HAVE SEEN THIS POSTING INFO ON ANOTHER FORUM, MY APOLOGIES FOR DUPLICATION. I WANTED TO SHARE THIS NEW KIT WITH AS MANY AS POSSIBLE.

Well the team at Total Chaos Fabrication http://www.chaosfab.com/ has done it again. The new IFS +2" Long Travel suspension Kit, as well as a new rear kit for the 4th Gen 4Runner is available, and I've been running it now for a few weeks. I want to thank Nicole, Kurt, Jeremy and the rest of the Total Chaos team. A friend recommended I talk to them about the build on my 06 Sport V8 4x4. I wanted something more then just UCA's and coilover, but I didn't want to go with the full long travel kit with my 4x4. I wanted articulation, more travel, strength and quality. The front travel is now at approximately 12" and we added almost 2" of travel in the back.

My project concept is to build an expedition 4Runner capable of handling pretty much anything a trail might throw at me. When I talked with TC, I learned of their development of this new front suspension kit and the new rear links were too good to pass up as well. The full package is impressive. To take full advantage of the TC kit, I worked with TC and the good folks at King Shock Technology http://www.kingshocks.com to spec and build the complete suspension system I wanted, and believe me they didn't disappoint. Needless to stay, I owe my friend a little extra gift in his stocking for the introduction, Total Chaos and King have a very happy customer, I can't stop grinning from ear to ear, and the 4Runner community has another "serious" quality option for suspension.

If you haven't had the opportunity to check out any of the TC products in person, do it. The overall quality is amazing and the welds are mechanical art! The TC team is a group of some of the most passionate and honest people I've worked with on this project. Brian at King is another Ace, and he deserves credit as well. I’m happy to answer any questions I can, but be sure to go direct to the source as well, these people love to talk Toyota.

I hoped to be able to get more of the project build done before posting pictures, but I'll post more information on the other components involved in my project in other threads, or maybe I'll start a project thread. Some of the other modifications include, Shrockworks front bumper and sliders, PIAA lights, Warn winch, Budbuilt "Stainless Steel" skids...yes they are custom and yes they are Stainless Steel (more on that later) National Luna Dual Battery kit, Oil Filter relocation kit, Eezi-Awn Series 3 Roof Tent, Roof Rack, and more... don't want to pimp everything here.

The pictures here are with my BFG A/T 265/70-17. This week, I am mounting Goodyear MTR's 275/70-17. I will then make the final step to MTR 285/70-17 in January/February when we are able to settle necessary trim or fender modifications to get the clearance needed to run 285's without having to limit up-travel.

Tire test:
- 265/70-17 BFG A/T - fits no problem

- 275/70-17 Goodyear MTR - Ideal tire size if stock fenders are retained “minor fender trimming required”

- 285/70-17 Goodyear MTR - would have to limit up travel with stock fenders - Fiberglass recommended

Name:  IMG_8115.jpg
Views: 7317
Size:  63.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8116.jpg
Views: 3577
Size:  72.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8128.jpg
Views: 2686
Size:  87.3 KB

Here are some of the specs…

Front Install:
- TCS#86002 Total Chaos 2” wider long travel kit
- TC Weld On Spindle Gussets
- 4340 extended 4wd axles
- King Coil Over: 8” x 2.5” W/Res., 18”x 700lb coil spring

Name:  86002_kit-1.jpg
Views: 2518
Size:  55.2 KB
The Total Chaos 2” wider long travel kit

Name:  FJ_Front_Coil.jpg
Views: 2534
Size:  18.9 KB

Name:  DSC01006-1.jpg
Views: 4679
Size:  63.5 KB

Name:  IMG_8103-1.jpg
Views: 3594
Size:  64.3 KB

Name:  IMG_8105.jpg
Views: 2711
Size:  59.6 KB

I also added the weld on spindle gussets. Check these out, and then crawl under and look at your spindles without gussets… run, don’t walk to TC and get these.

Name:  59698-s.jpg
Views: 2461
Size:  4.9 KB

Name:  DSC00993-1.jpg
Views: 2777
Size:  20.9 KB

Rear Install:
- TCS#86400 Total Chaos adjustable rear links:
-Upper links
-Lower links
-Panhard bar

- ICON Vehicle Dynamics rear coils
- King 2.5” smooth body W/Res., res. mounts included

Name:  IMG_7944-1.jpg
Views: 3345
Size:  34.8 KB

Name:  86400.jpg
Views: 2521
Size:  27.2 KB

Name:  2inchprerunnoncoilL-1.jpg
Views: 2549
Size:  21.9 KB
Old 01-13-2009, 11:40 PM

Total Chaos has the 4Runner kit posted on their site now for those that are interested, check it out. http://www.chaosfab.com/what.html You'll find it in the "what's new" section and also of course in the suspension for the 4th Gen 4Runner.

I've had a few chances now to run this on the trail and I am blown away. The ride is amazing and it takes big hits without any complaint and remains well under control. The combination of the Total Chaos kit and the King shocks is worth the investment.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow that is awesome.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:10 AM

Drool! Did that kit provide any suspension lift? Also, the angle on the cv joints looks quite extreme! What was done to increase the reliability of the cv's if any? I've always wondered what the maximum allowable angle is on the cv joints.

What does the rear link kit do? Would a 4runner that is already lifted with LC coils benefit?
Old 01-14-2009, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Conatus
Drool! Did that kit provide any suspension lift? Also, the angle on the cv joints looks quite extreme! What was done to increase the reliability of the cv's if any? I've always wondered what the maximum allowable angle is on the cv joints.

What does the rear link kit do? Would a 4runner that is already lifted with LC coils benefit?
The angle on the CV joints there is with the suspension completely unloaded, most of the time the angle won't be that extreme.

That setup is REALLY shiny....damn. I wish I had enough money for a TC kit.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:30 PM

The build gave about 3" in the front and about 2.5" in the rear. Of course the front has some adjustment in the coilover. For me, aside from the lift, (this is all I wanted to add in height aside from the additional clearance offered by larger tires) the most critical thing was the additional travel and the overall quality and strength of the TC kit and King shocks. The articulation is pretty impressive for IFS and the suspension feels good for both hard hits at speed and slow crawling. Believe me, no buyers remorse once you get this on the trail. The street manners are still there, even considering both front and rear sway bars were removed so as to not restrict the articulation off road.

As posted above, the CV's are no problem and no need to do anything other than normal maintenance and inspection as you would for anything from stock to mild.

To answer this...from the experts...

From TC website...
Factory Toyota rear rubber bushings bind when your suspension cycles and can limit wheel travel and articualtion. TC upper, lower and pan hard bar links are built using 1 ¼” x .375 chromoly tubing. Designed to be trail adjustable, these links are tapped on one end and utilize a 7/8” heim for maximum articulation and tune ability. TC supplies all necessary hardware and hi- misalignment spacers required to install this bolt on conversion. The opposite ends of the upper and lower links include gusseted pivots that feature zerk fittings and use replaceable urethane bushings and an inner sleeve that eliminate any pivot resistance. TC allows you to lubricate these urethane pivots through factory access holes on the chassis for convenient maintenance. Lower links incorporate emergency brake line tabs needed to reinstall the factory lines. The TOTAL CHAOS pan hard bar is tapped on both ends and is fully adjustable utilizing ¾” heims to offer maximum adjustability and strength.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by NicCantDecide
That setup is REALLY shiny....damn. I wish I had enough money for a TC kit.
Not so shiny anymore, but I'll admit I can't help myself from pulling the truck into the garage and crawling underneath to clean everything when I wash the truck after trail runs. I have always been this annal about post trail cleaning and inspection. It comes from years of racing motorcycles. Much easier on bikes then 4Runners, but just as satisfying when it's done. I'll say it's to clean and give you the opportunity to inspect everything, torque as needed and hit those zerks with some grease, but it's also because I like looking at this set-up every time I walk outside...
Old 02-03-2009, 08:10 PM

where are the pics with the new tires?
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 PM

never mind I found the answer to my question

Last edited by strykersd; 02-03-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
If its in the thread already my bad, But did/do you have XREAS ??
Old 02-04-2009, 12:22 AM

Badass, for sure!
Old 02-04-2009, 02:24 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
Balla, fa sho!
Fixed it for ya bud
Old 02-04-2009, 02:59 AM

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm. I want. . . .
Old 02-04-2009, 07:45 AM

Total Chaos really makes an excellent product. Runner looks awesome.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by scuba
If its in the thread already my bad, But did/do you have XREAS ??
The truck did have the XREAS suspension package. It's gone now.

I was a bit concerned at first how it would perform on the street, being it is my DD. Not only did we eliminate the XREAS, but we also removed both front and rear sway bars. I can definitely feel the difference, but I can accept the handling (it's really not bad) on the street for the performance off road, and boy is it nice on the trail.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:38 PM

Bad Ass.....Balla.....Mmmmmmmmmmmm.... All good by me. Thanks for the compliments.

BTW - the new tires are on...winch on...new lights on...drawer system on order...National Luna 50L fridge arrives tomorrow...Eezi-Awn Series 3 Roof Tent is in the garage waiting for roof rack...roof rack is in development....BudBuilt skids still waiting for install after suspension is completed...and more to come...and no, my wife has not divorced me yet...
Old 03-31-2009, 08:40 PM

how much did this all cost you for the mid travel kit?
looks awesommme!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:44 PM

How long did it take to get that shockworks bumper?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by imryannn
how much did this all cost you for the mid travel kit?
looks awesommme!
Thanks for the compliment on the truck. I see you are in San Jose, so some day we might get a chance to meet on the trail. The prices below may have changed recently, but this is what I have. Also, of course this is assuming you are doing your own installation.

* Retail cost on the Total Chaos Front IFS Mid-Travel kit itself is (TCF# 86002) = $2750.00.
* Extended Axles = $575.00 (set)
* The Total Chaos rear kit 5 pieces uppers, Lowers and the pan (TCF# 86400) = $1289.00
* Icon Dynamics Rear Coils (4Rnr/FJC Coils - Icon #5-2700) = $250 (set)
* King Coilover 2.5" x 8" with 16"x700lb coil = $1350 (set)
* King Rear Remote Reservoir Smooth Body Shocks (FJC & 4Runner) = $750 (set)

Last edited by T4Rfun; 04-01-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Fo_SheeZy
How long did it take to get that shockworks bumper?
I got mine prior to the storms, move, etc. that set Shrockworks back in production. I think I waited about 60 days.

Quick Reply: Total Chaos +2 MID-Travel KIT - 4th Gen 4Runner