03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Code po441 and barely running after fill up

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Code po441 and barely running after fill up

1st off I have never had any issues with my 2003 4runner Sport. It has the 6 cylinder engine. So I apoligize for my first post asking questions. I have had this vehicle since new. Never has had any issues
other than brakes, shocks, and normal maintenance items.
So I am getting a Code po441 evap system incorrect purge flow. I got the code once after filling up with gas and let the pump click off. I got the code immediately and the 4runner barely started and would not run unless I kept gas pressed to the floor. This lasted about 2-3 minutes and then went back to normal run.
After reading about this code I checked the vaccum lines around the engine and removed the vacum switching valve that was at the rear of the air filter. I put 12 volts on it and the solenoid switched on and off
with the voltage. So I put it back on.
I went ahead and bought and installed a toyota gas cap. Next fill up it did it again. Lasted 2-3 minutes and then will run normal.
I tested the theory that it was because the gas cap was off and not related to filling up. Removed gas cap, waited about 5-10 minutes. Reinstalled gas cap. Car started and ran normal.
To test if it because of just adding some gas, I started with a 1/4 tank, put 5 gal in and car started and ran normal.
Put 5 more gal in and car started and ran normal.
Filled to within 2 gal of full, car started and ran normal.
Filled all the way and let the pump click off. Had a very small stumble for 3-5 seconds and then ran normal.
I hope you guys can give me some direction.
I appreciate any help you guys can give me.