03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Clunk in rear when coming to a stop!

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Clunk in rear when coming to a stop!

Have a 2006 4Runner SR5 with a V8, 155,000 miles, and am hearing a clunking noise in the rear, think it is on the driver's side, when I am almost to a dead stop at a stop light. I am braking normally, NOT hard, and sometimes, not always, hear this clunk, once, right before I am completely stopped. I don't hear anything when I start up and drive and it is shifting just fine...(automatic transmission). Does anyone know what this is being caused by. I sure hope my transmission isn't going to go out. Thanks!
Old 10-05-2018, 09:43 AM

Grease your driveshaft.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by knightsfire
Have a 2006 4Runner SR5 with a V8, 155,000 miles, and am hearing a clunking noise in the rear, think it is on the driver's side, when I am almost to a dead stop at a stop light. I am braking normally, NOT hard, and sometimes, not always, hear this clunk, once, right before I am completely stopped. I don't hear anything when I start up and drive and it is shifting just fine...(automatic transmission). Does anyone know what this is being caused by. I sure hope my transmission isn't going to go out. Thanks!
Should not be your tranny. I am a new GX470 owner and experienced this on the test drive. It worried the wife, but I had read about it in the forms, so I was not worried. Search for "lexus clunk" for more info than you will ever want to know.

Apparently this happens due to the grease on the slip yoke not properly distributing the length of the shaft. A design flaw but not destructive based on the forum scuttlebutt. You can replace the shaft or just grease it up on a regular basis. Many do it with their oil change.

All that said, I'm not a professional mechanic and if you have concerns about your safety, please confirm with a mechanic!

Some 4Runner guys have this issue to, here is how they deal with it. Timmy is the best!