03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

Anyone Notice this w/ ATRAC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone Notice this w/ ATRAC?

Hello,

I've got a question, probably related to ATRAC (tried a search on it but didn't address this exact issue). On a recent trip to Gold Mountain (Big Bear, CA), our friend's 07 4Runner (Limited, V8) has exhibited some unusual behavior, and we're wondering if anyone has noticed this too. This is especially applicable if you have off-roaded with a 3rd Gen w/ a Locking Rear Diff.

Basically, while taking the same line over an obstacle (say, 10" tall rocks, against one front and one rear wheel... usually diagonally from each other, going uphill) the 98 4Runner Rear locker w/ the same tires as the 07 (AT KOs), same PSI, and completely stock seems to pull right over that series of obstacles, in a relatively straight line, with some tire slipping, etc, but it generally pulls straight forward, no drama. But the 07, taking that same line, basically the same speed, seemed to more often than not slip entirely to the right or left (depending on the angle that truck is in, it could be inches or over a foot) and of course ATRAC is activating right before the sideway slipping occurs... both trucks in 4Lo/Lo.

We can't seem to make heads or tails on why this is happening. What's throwing us off then, is that spotting the truck the same way that we'd spot any other truck, the 07 ended up slipping off what it's trying to climb and subsequently hitting something in the undercarriage. I'm at a loss to why this happening and I've been spotting for 15 years... so I'm wondering if we need to do something differently for an ATRAC enabled truck.

I will say that this trail and specifically the obstacles when this sideways slipping happens, tends to be "slippery" either with powdery dirt, or slickrock type rocks, but it's not wet or icy, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this happening? On this particular trail, he probably slipped sideways on 2-3 different obstacles using the same line that my buddy's 98 took and never slipped on. I also have a 98 w/ a locking rear, but since it's not stock, I'm not including it in this comparison (that said, I did not slip sideways either).