03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

another 4th gen. lift in progress soon

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, the impact wrench was for the spring compressor ... i will probably just do the air ratchet like you suggest. some people have done it without air tools at all, so, even a "wimpy" 3/8" air ratchet should be fine i'd think.

i suppose i'll just have to wait until i start ... then i'll know better what tools i'm lacking. i just ordered the craftsman 1/2" torque wrench that keisur recommended above, but as for the air tool ... i think i will wait and just try to find something less expensive than the impact wrench.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:22 PM
Contributing Member

Well, if you think about what I said for a minute, you'll realize I was saying, more than you need now, but good for the future if you plan on doing other stuff later for the 1/2" stuff. If you are on a budget which I wasn't really thinking you were seeing all you done up to now to a new 4Runner being in school, then I would just try and get by with the ratchets, better yet go to Harbor and get a cheap set of 1/2" gear. When I was in school I used the spring compressors with 1/2" manual ratchets and to guys simultaneuosly cranking, it can be done but is a pain. 3/8" is "wimpy" when you start working on drive shafts, diffs, etc. where you need a longer ratchet handle to put the torque on something to break it loose, expecially if your air wrench isn't handy.

another thing, an impact wrench for the spring compressor? that to me is a little dangerous since the impact wrench will spin up real fast. an air ratchet is slower and more easily controlled so as to not compress one side too fast and end up either tweaking the spring or worse. I would suggest starting slow with a hand ratchet to get the feel and if you feel comfortable move to the air ratchet. that isn't somehting you want to just jump on and start tightening down on with air tools without ever having gotten a feel for it. remember, you are loading a spring.

Do you even have a compressor to run the air tools?

I've never had a problem using my 1/2" torque wrench for the sparkplugs either moss.

moss is right though, this thread is getting long, just do it already, once you get your lift that is. I believe everything has been covered over the multiple threads going on right now about this lift.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4route
I worry that it will be useless in small spaces (vertically, I mean)..
never had that problem because they have this really neat thing inside them that clicks, or "ratchets" if you will.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:40 PM
Banned

I might be a girl and I might not know everything there is to know about trucks and tools, but I'm making an effort to learn here, and obviously with the work I have done on my 4runner thus far, I know what a ratchet is. Thanks for the condescension though!
Old 03-20-2004, 11:05 PM
Contributing Member

mossback -- problem with buying more tools right now is that i don't have that much money to throw around because i go to school and also saved up for the lift kit -- not intending to pay a bunch extra for tools. i was hoping to use the 3/8 for this lift project until i could afford 1/2" ... do you think i need 1/2" for the lift installation? if so, i guess i'll get them, i just had been hoping not to.
I hear you, tools to do the lift has cost me more than the lift kits so far. Hopefully I'm done with tool shopping. The good thing is that now I at least have the tools.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:09 PM
Banned

i hope this thread helped you some. helped me a lot. but now i've been put in time-out i think. good luck with your lift,
Old 03-20-2004, 11:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by keisur
moss is right though, this thread is getting long, just do it already, once you get your lift that is. I believe everything has been covered over the multiple threads going on right now about this lift.
Hi guys, the thread is turning into a good story, you dont have to read it unless you want to It will be very valueable for somebody in the future who wants to do it and is not familiar with all the tools required and suspensions, like myself. I am setting up to do it as well and everybodies assistance here will probably save me some real head aches later.

ANyhow getting late, need beer more beer beer.......
Old 03-20-2004, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

4route,

man, talk about flying off the handle...

anyway, I'm not annoyed, it's just like you said above, "get started and figure out what tools you need if you find you need something you don't already have (paraphrased of course)."

No matter what job you do on your car there's always going to be a snag here and there. It doesn't matter how prepped you are for the job. I can't count the number of times I thought, "oh, piece of cake." well, three day later I finally get everything back together when it should have only been a 2 hour job.

What I was trying to say, and I guess I worded it all wrong, was that you seem to have a good grasp on the issues and tools you need for the job and now you should just wait for the parts and start attacking the 4runner. And yes, I did say above "just do it already, once you get your lift that is."

sorry to offend and your questions aren't stupid. I just think you should wait for your parts, jump on it and start working and if you hit a snag then jump on the computer and hit us up for help. it never takes us long to respond right?

Come on, relax with me, breath in, breath out, breath in, breath out. ok now stretch your neck out and up as far as possible, now relax your neck. ok, now we're relaxed and feeling better right?

ps, sarcasm doesn't come through on chats without real facial expressions so some things get taken wrong, by us all. it's ok though.

Last edited by keisur; 03-20-2004 at 11:29 PM.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

ps, sarcasm doesn't come through on chats without real facial expressions so some things get taken wrong, by us all. it's ok though.
You are right message boards just doesn't work without facial expressions

Have a good night. And I think most of us are very relaxed, anyway I am
Old 03-20-2004, 11:25 PM
Contributing Member

I've never had a problem using my 1/2" torque wrench for the sparkplugs either moss.
my issue is my socket is 3/8" and my tourque wrench is 1/2", I cant find my adapter, Its also a bit long. Anyway, like Starsky says "Do it... Do it". I want to see this lift.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mossback74
my issue is my socket is 3/8" and my tourque wrench is 1/2", I cant find my adapter, Its also a bit long. Anyway, like Starsky says "Do it... Do it". I want to see this lift.
you got a harbor freight close by? $3.99 for the complete set. if not, I'll send you mine free and I'll go buy myself a new set. let me know.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by bulldog-yota
Have a good night. And I think most of us are very relaxed,
sorry, that post was to 4route.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:29 PM
Banned

I understand, Keisur. The tool thing was just something I had been struggling with for a long time, and kept getting conflicting answers. I brought it up again in hopes of finding some answers that made more sense, and I'm glad that I did because you were able to help me understand what I would need. I don't mean to "fly off the handle" but I was offended by the implication of your ratchet comment, and by the fact that you seemed annoyed with the thread. I thought it would be a nice way to have a lot of info put together from a bunch of us - and a good place for us to discuss questions we had in approaching this - as well as a nice thread for people who might be attempting a similar thing in the future.

I understand and agree that no matter how prepared you think you are, you are bound to hit a snag or two along the way -- but it's still better to be as prepared as possible, so you have less of a fall when you do trip up, or less snags in the process. A bunch of us are about to do this, and I figured too much info is better than not enough.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:36 PM
Contributing Member

I was offended by the implication of your ratchet comment
I can explain this, it wasn't a "comment" at all, haha.

what I was getting at was that the torque wrenches we've been discussing are the "clicker" type as opposed to the type that just bends over and a needles estimates the torque so the clicker types are easier to use in tight spots, ie. the horizontal bolts like the drive shaft or axle nuts on the rear flange. those stupid bending types are hard to use because in tight spots you have to position the socket just right so the arm sticks out where you have room. you get the idea I know. I wasn't trying to make fun of you, just a smart reply trying to be funny, hence the sarcasm thing O talked about.

PS, you try my dr. phil relaxation exercise above? works huh?
Old 03-20-2004, 11:38 PM
Contributing Member

Hey if we keep this up we might beat the longest thread on the board

See
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f168/im-just-girl-10741/
which made no sense in the end

Or maybe the more useful ones
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/new-performance-mod-part-5130/

Anyway I hope we are done before it reaches a 1000 posts or 10000/30000 views

EDIT: I need to go to bed.

Last edited by bulldog-yota; 03-20-2004 at 11:40 PM.
Old 03-21-2004, 01:21 AM
Contributing Member

you got a harbor freight close by? $3.99 for the complete set. if not, I'll send you mine free and I'll go buy myself a new set. let me know.
Actually I have a 3/8 tourqe wrench floating around too, I found the empty box but no wrench. I'd really like to find that, its a nice "clicker style". Thanks for the offer though.
Old 03-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Contributing Member

Your A Girl

I might be a girl and I might not know everything there is to know about trucks and tools,

Hold everything, you mean we've been chatting about lifts with a girl Insert 'SARCASAM" here. 4route we still want to see your lift so keep on posting. You'll never know how much you have helped out by doing this thread until you've finished it. Ignore the sarcasam and just keep on posting

Last edited by Biff; 03-21-2004 at 05:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Biff
Insert 'SARCASAM" here. 4route we still want to see your lift so keep on posting. You'll never know how much you have helped out by doing this thread until you've finished it. Ignore the sarcasam and just keep on posting
she understands my sarcasm now.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:18 AM
Contributing Member

4Route: If you're not done with your lift and other members still have questions then I say keep on posting on this thread. This has probably been the most informative thread we've had regarding XREAS spacer lifts. I'm sure it'll be helpful to many who have never done a lift before.

Just summarize it near the end when you've finished is my only recommendation.

The "Panamanian wanna-be" has a weird sense of humor as I'm sure you've found out. Ya now I'm just ˟˟˟˟˟˟ with you, you know that............right Keisur?

Seriously, Keisur has changed his 3rd Gen from a run-of-the-mill 4Runner into one serious machine. From what I remember he has pretty much done it on his own with the advice of many people on this board and a bunch of curiosity and patience.

Just keep asking away, as you know theres a million differing ideas on tools and techniques. Its up to you to sort them out and see what works best for you.

I want to see one of these three XREAS trucks lifted soon. Maybe that'll inspire the other two to get it done.

Victor, Bulldog and 4Route: Who's going to be the first is what I'd like to know!!

I'll bet K will talk his "esposa" into lifting hers by June just for the challenge of it.

Cheers,

Doug M.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 02Runner
The "Panamanian wanna-be" has a weird sense of humor as I'm sure you've found out. Ya now I'm just ˟˟˟˟˟˟ with you, you know that............right Keisur? I'll bet K will talk his "esposa" into lifting hers by June just for the challenge of it.

Cheers,

Doug M.
uh, to set that record straight, I am a Panamian, funny how marriage laws work. hehe.

Seriously, Keisur has changed his 3rd Gen from a run-of-the-mill 4Runner into one serious machine. From what I remember he has pretty much done it on his own with the advice of many people on this board and a bunch of curiosity and patience.
"pretty much?" Remember I told you along time ago, nobody touches my 4runner, hehe, I've learnt that but luckily while it was still under warranty. best to do the stuff yourself. the peeps on this board have been hefful on some things.

yea, I know your messing with me. We're going to Panama for 2 weeks this year I think, you game?

Originally Posted by 02Runner
I'll bet K will talk his "esposa" into lifting hers by June just for the challenge of it.

Doug M.
Doug, well, I tried just before christmas, nope! I think once the warranty is up she may let me do something, but remember it's only a 2wheeler, so she'll just be a poser if she lifts it. unless I convert it to 4wd. shut up J. shut up!!!!

Last edited by keisur; 03-21-2004 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: another 4th gen. lift in progress soon