03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4th Gen 4Runner X-Reas lift options/roundup

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Rocky, I emailed Gary and Jason asking for a price.

Any ideas for dealer alternatives to figuring out what is going on with rear shocks and the harsh ride?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Seahawk1
One other thing, since I removed the NE shock relocator, I have noticed that the back rides much harder (less absorption of shock). I guess this tells me that the concept of the relocator was right but maybe the execution was flawed. Anyone else experience this?
Yes, I have definitely noticed this too.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:15 PM

If you can, try to take the rear shock off, and check if they are straight. If you lost fluid, the shock can not work properly and it should be real soft because it can not dampen properly. But if it is bent, then it will bind causing your ride to be harsh. I can't believe NE won't take any responsibility for all these messed up shocks. I hope I'm wrong, and everything works out for you guys.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:23 PM

When I removed the relocs, the rear shocks extended fully, and I had to muscle 'em back onto the original mount. I had to use all my strength to compress 'em to the mount point, but they both moved smoothly. I bet I wouldn't have been able to do this job (at least by myself) if they were bent and/or binding--my two cents.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:38 PM

spblat: my experiences exactly regarding getting the shocks back into place. They fully extended and then I actually used a bottle jack to raise it near the level of the pin
Old 03-08-2005, 05:52 PM

But compressing a shock at a slow rate, and fast rate is also different. I'm not saying its for sure that the shock shaft is bent. It could be that the piston is damaged, or the tubing damaged. I haven't taken apart my suspension yet, but on my other car, and my friends pathfinder I never had to "muscle" the shocks to get them to compress and I'm a pretty weak guy . But I'm just guestimating from what the symptoms are. Hopefully I get to find out first hand how hard it is to compress the shocks as my daystar kit should be here by thursday. Anyways, I hope everything works out for you guys.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So a person can leave it all in tact and install a Daystar spacer without confusing things?

There is no on board computer that runs this, right? Only mechanical feedback?

Thanks Lance and others.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:10 PM
Banned

In every lift install I've done, the shocks have behaved that same way. I don't think it points to any damage, but it is definitely a good idea to check for any fluid. And no, NE isn't taking responsibility for ANY of the XREAS failings or shock damages they've caused.

Big surprise.

4runningguy - I only asked who you were because I hadn't seen you around before and if you have read the NE thread, then you will understand why I am a bit paranoid when people show up out of the blue and seem to express some knowledge of NE parts!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:12 PM
Banned

Flygtenstein -- Yep, you'd be just fine adding a spacer or even a coil in the rear (or front) without having any issues with XREAS. It's just that the front shocks have to remain attached to the lines while you work on things and compress the coil which is a little bit of a challenge but many of us have managed it.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by r0cky
4runningguy - I only asked who you were because I hadn't seen you around before and if you have read the NE thread, then you will understand why I am a bit paranoid when people show up out of the blue and seem to express some knowledge of NE parts!
I understand. I'm 4runningguy on T4R.org too. You answered a few questions for me. I don't know too much about 4runner lifts, but I've worked on alot of cars, and currently building a race car with my friend, so I have some knowledge of cars and their componets. So I was just trying to be helpful. But like I said I completely understand the paranoia behind this whole NE deal.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:04 PM

Cheese, the fasinating system is the Lexus GX KDSS system. It is an interesting setup that doesnt rely on the shocks- of course it is even more elaborate than XREAS- but is a neat system.
Looking at the amount of tubing and components on the frame rails, it makes xreas-compatible sliders look like a walk in the park.

Others, sounds like a decent hypothesis: even tho relocs are removed, the shocks may be damaged. The improper angle of the relocs (among other problems) would cause a pretty severe angle on compression. The rubber mounting grommet can only distort so much before the internal seals or shaft give up from the bending.
And this is happening every second your truck is moving-- not full compression of course, but cycling a shock to bend cant be good for it.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:07 PM
Banned

4runningguy, i'm glad you found your way over here.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they are cross linked, won't killing two fronts or two rears really louse up the system?

If it is all just hydraulic line feedback, as it appears to me, then I would consider yanking it all together.

Sounds like the Daystar kit alone though is the most cost effective lift without breaking the bank.

Thanks for the help. I am a real newb on this. All I know is Lance did not have this when we all got together in Moab. Most everything else is a mystery.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Banned

yeah, that's the reason we're having problems - if one shock gets messed up, it is a far-reaching problem.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:40 PM

Yes, the Daystar spacers seem to be the most cost effective way to lift. FirstToy has the Daystar 2.5" spacers and 265/70/17's. I'm completely stock. When I measured out skids he had a whopping 4" of clearance over me (8" - 12"). I'm never been big on any kind of spacer, but to gain some much needed ground clearance which the 4th gens need I've seen the light. FirstToy summed it up very well when he said its more of a mental hurdle than anything else to disco the XREAS and move to traditional lifts like the new coilovers coming out. For on-road performance, the XREAS provides for extremely flat cornering and tight handling. I don't hot rod, but it is nice having BMW-like handling when on road here in the jungles of Los Angeles, which for me is about 99.5% of the time.

Originally Posted by Flygtenstein
If they are cross linked, won't killing two fronts or two rears really louse up the system?

If it is all just hydraulic line feedback, as it appears to me, then I would consider yanking it all together.

Sounds like the Daystar kit alone though is the most cost effective lift without breaking the bank.

Thanks for the help. I am a real newb on this. All I know is Lance did not have this when we all got together in Moab. Most everything else is a mystery.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Contributing Member

Any spacer lift 'works' with X-REAS.

But continuously operating a shock 2" outside it's intended design can't be good. I don't think spacers provided a reliable lift in the long run, your shocks will wear out sooner.

A longer, X-REAS compatible rear shock is needed.

or

A quality rear shock relocation is needed, with taller bump stops.

Last edited by Bluto; 03-10-2005 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:02 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bluto

or

Don't forget the fronts too!
Old 03-10-2005, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Bluto
Any spacer lift 'works' with X-REAS.

But continuously operating a shock 2" outside it's intended design can't be good. I don't think spacers provided a reliable lift in the long run, your shocks will wear out sooner.

or

Yeah, I kinda have to agree with that. Makes me wonder if I should just return my spacers instead of installing and go with SAW/Downey/Donahoe. Seems better to bite the bullet now instead of dumping $250 worth of spacers in a year or two.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

the catch is guys:

spacer are good for the application of giving you lift. a lot of people run this with no ill effects to their vehicles. the wearing of the shocks is no different than one w/o the spacers themselves.

you guys have to realize that wear and tear on any component is normal and if you do any offroading, it will wear and tear much faster. It's just physics...

basically comes down to this: budget. if ya got the funds for the bling then by all means get the bling. if you don't then get whatever you can afford at the time. there is no wrong way of doing this as over time even the bling will wear out and you'll have to replace again w/ more bling

but for all of you xreas owners, the system itself is limiting of what you can do to lift your 4runner so getting spacers is the best of both worlds. you get to keep the xreas and lift it. nothing wrong w/ this.

If you plan to do some serious offroading then I'd say it's best to get a better lift setup than just a simple spacer stuff. but that's just me of course that means if you have xreas that's just removing an awesome technology so....
Old 03-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Well put Lance. Depending on what you want a spacer lift can be a good solution for you.

Another way of looking at XREAS is this. It cost $400 or so more when you bought the 4R. I have had it for almost 2.5 years now. So it works out at $13 a month extra if I remove it right now. Money well spend if you ask me. Maybe that will help with the psychological barrier of removing them You already got your monies worth out of it.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen 4Runner X-Reas lift options/roundup