03+ 4Runner/GX470, & 05+ Tacomas 4th gen 4Runners & 5th gen trucks

4Runner V6 vs V8

Old 10-14-2012, 06:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am surprised a 3k lb boat gave you that much of an issue with a 3rd gen, but the 4th gen is a lot more rig.
The hills are pretty steep. A few years back I was towing my sons supra in on a car dolly with about 1" of snow on the ground and did not make it up the first hill. The truck started sliding backwards even in 4wd and I almost lost truck, trailer and car over the edge of the embankment. At the last minute, I just hit the gas hard and the tires dugg down and stopped it all. Trailer and car were hanging over the edge by this time. We ran into the bush, grabbed logs and blocked the wheels.No tow truck would come there to help as they could not get around us to get higher and winch us out. I hiked into the cottage and 9" of snow fell that night. The next day, a friendly local business man I knew, drove his bull dowxer 5 miles through the bush and pulled us out. Apparently it is not good for the tracks to drive that far. I gave him $250 for his troubles. He pulled us to the top of the hill and we pushed the car off the dolly and into the bush where it sat until spring. Unlatched the trailer, turned the truck around, hooked up the trailer and drove out. What a weekend! I learned my lesson. no towing there during snow season.

Wouldnt have matter what truck or motor it was in that situation.

And this is directed at the whole thread:
Having a v8 is only a difference in power, not handling or braking or traction or anything else for that matter, just power.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Wouldnt have matter what truck or motor it was in that situation.

And this is directed at the whole thread:
Having a v8 is only a difference in power, not handling or braking or traction or anything else for that matter, just power.
On your first point you're probably right. On your second point, stayistically speaking you're also pretty accurate with what I believe to be one (and most significant) omission. That is the towing capacity. Power aside, the V8 is set up to tow better from the factory including hitch, trailer brake plug and factory pigtail, not to mention that extra gear in the early models. IMO that's the single biggest reason to go for a V8 above the 6. Otherwise, departed continues until the end of time with no real loser.

Word of caution- on some EARLY EARLY V8 models I have seen them saddled with the wimpier hitch, although they did still have the plug for a big trailer out back and the pig tail harness for controller up front.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:14 PM

Power aside, the V8 is set up to tow better from the factory including hitch, trailer brake plug and factory pigtail, not to mention that extra gear in the early models. IMO that's the single biggest reason to go for a V8 above the 6. Otherwise, departed continues until the end of time with no real loser.
What extra gear? And the V6 loses to the V8 for towing every time. All im saying is theres no difference between v6 and v8 equipped models that would help with pulling a 3000lbs trailer up an icy road.

Word of caution- on some EARLY EARLY V8 models I have seen them saddled with the wimpier hitch, although they did still have the plug for a big trailer out back and the pig tail harness for controller up front.
all factory hitch receivers are OVERKILL to meet saftey standards. If its a factory tow package its fine for 7 times more then these motors can pull, V6, V8, twin turbo charged v8 with nitrous boosters, its still fine. engine power has never killed a tow hitch, its always weight, brakes, recks, or stupidity that killed a tow package.

BTW brakes can generate way more torque then any engine.

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 10-16-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My v6 pulled my 3500 lbs pontoon boat fine. That was just a few times a year along with launching my sail boats. So, if the towing is infrequent, the weight range talked about should be ok with either. But, if I were going to take longer trips and do it frequently, there is no doubt that the v8 would be preferable. But, the v8 is standard awd, all the time. The sr5 v6 can run in 2wd. That may or may not be a factor too. Personally, I like being able to lock out the front wheels when not needed.

Last edited by Dagosa; 10-16-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
What extra gear? And the V6 loses to the V8 for towing every time. All im saying is theres no difference between v6 and v8 equipped models that would help with pulling a 3000lbs trailer up an icy road.

all factory hitch receivers are OVERKILL to meet saftey standards. If its a factory tow package its fine for 7 times more then these motors can pull, V6, V8, twin turbo charged v8 with nitrous boosters, its still fine. engine power has never killed a tow hitch, its always weight, brakes, recks, or stupidity that killed a tow package.

BTW brakes can generate way more torque then any engine.
Early v6 models had a 4 speed, V8 a 5. Nobody is speaking about what sort of engine you need in a 4runner to haul a car up an icy slope. Its been established that a bulldozer or like track vehicle is the answer there.

Your nonsensical take on hitches doesn't help anything. I'll simply state that there is a difference in the hitches between the v6 and v8 and having more of your load distributed more forward, because of the better hitch design, makes for a more safe and stable ride if you have a heavy load behind you.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:26 AM

Early v6 models had a 4 speed, V8 a 5. Nobody is speaking about what sort of engine you need in a 4runner to haul a car up an icy slope. Its been established that a bulldozer or like track vehicle is the answer there.

Your nonsensical take on hitches doesn't help anything. I'll simply state that there is a difference in the hitches between the v6 and v8 and having more of your load distributed more forward, because of the better hitch design, makes for a more safe and stable ride if you have a heavy load behind you.
theres no difference in ride stability, or weight distribution between the 2 hitches. For that to happen, there would have to be some differences besides how strong it looks.

You calling this guy a nobody?

The hills are pretty steep. A few years back I was towing my sons supra in on a car dolly with about 1" of snow on the ground and did not make it up the first hill. The truck started sliding backwards even in 4wd and I almost lost truck, trailer and car over the edge of the embankment. At the last minute, I just hit the gas hard and the tires dugg down and stopped it all. Trailer and car were hanging over the edge by this time. We ran into the bush, grabbed logs and blocked the wheels.No tow truck would come there to help as they could not get around us to get higher and winch us out. I hiked into the cottage and 9" of snow fell that night. The next day, a friendly local business man I knew, drove his bull dowxer 5 miles through the bush and pulled us out. Apparently it is not good for the tracks to drive that far. I gave him $250 for his troubles. He pulled us to the top of the hill and we pushed the car off the dolly and into the bush where it sat until spring. Unlatched the trailer, turned the truck around, hooked up the trailer and drove out. What a weekend! I learned my lesson. no towing there during snow season.
Thats not very nice.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:41 AM

Your ignorance would be better kept to yourself rather than broadcast to the masses. There is a difference in their design and attachment. I only know because I have been under both, side by side and visually verified it. Why must you pour out garbage into public domain? Is this some sort of pissing contest you're in by yourself? Consider yourself the winner (and loser) if so.

Your othe comment... I just don't understand.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:16 PM

Your ignorance would be better kept to yourself rather than broadcast to the masses. There is a difference in their design and attachment. I only know because I have been under both, side by side and visually verified it. Why must you pour out garbage into public domain? Is this some sort of pissing contest you're in by yourself? Consider yourself the winner (and loser) if so.
I like you friend, your funny.

Better question: anyone ever broke or bent a tow package on a v6 truck without actually wrecking the vehicle while towing?

On a more personal note to you my99, try not to get so bent out of shape over nothing. You sound like girl on her period.

Last edited by ThatGuy1295; 10-21-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:11 AM

Well, I have found a low mileage 2006 V8 limited and plan to pick it up this Friday. Unfortunately, I had to book a flight to the palce where it is and it will be about a 12 hour drive home. So this prompts a travelling question:

Does the JBL radio have an auxilary input for my IPOD? Or is the CD player capable of reading MP3 encoded discs?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Ask the owner to be sure, but there should be a aux input in the center consol. CD player should be able to read MP3 discs. Have the owner take a pic of the stereo. That should reveal it

Btw later model year V6 has 5 gears, and the 4WD system allows part-time, AWD or fully locked center differential.

Last edited by Roadtripr; 11-01-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Roadtripr
Ask the owner to be sure, but there should be a aux input in the center consol. CD player should be able to read MP3 discs. Have the owner take a pic of the stereo. That should reveal it

Btw later model year V6 has 5 gears, and the 4WD system allows part-time, AWD or fully locked center differential.
I wanted 2005 plus for VVTi and 5 speed auto. What a great truck this is. SO much more refined than my 3rd gen. A more car like ride, smoother engine, and so much more power. A differnt feel to the accelerator pedal though.

It took me 14 hours to drive home with it on Friday night. I had only one MP3 disc ready and the IPOD which I used my FM adapter. I couldnt find the input at the time, but know where it is now.

I am going to keep my 3rd gen around for the winter. I decided to store the Ford Ranger for the winter (2WD) and let my daughter drive the 3 gen.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Angstrom
I wanted 2005 plus for VVTi and 5 speed auto. What a great truck this is. SO much more refined than my 3rd gen. A more car like ride, smoother engine, and so much more power. A differnt feel to the accelerator pedal though.

It took me 14 hours to drive home with it on Friday night. I had only one MP3 disc ready and the IPOD which I used my FM adapter. I couldnt find the input at the time, but know where it is now.

I am going to keep my 3rd gen around for the winter. I decided to store the Ford Ranger for the winter (2WD) and let my daughter drive the 3 gen.
You are completely right. A much more powerful and refined truck.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:39 PM

I wonder what the 5th gen is like. I am going to have to get one of those next!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:06 PM

It felt a lot bigger, quite soft, but less car like handling. I would have waited and perhaps gotten one if my old 99 didn't blow the headers.