Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Zuk mod on my 1987 4Runner using TJ springs

Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zuk mod on my 1987 4Runner using TJ springs

I found a generous local Jeep guy who let me have his old TJ springs for free. I used the rears because they are shorter to start with, and (I assumed) a softer spring rate since the front of a TJ is much heavier than the back. I did not want them overly tall or firm because I am hoping to get a soft top in the Spring and that will reduce the weight of my rear end a good bit. The two springs were roughly the same height, but I did not measure them. I started by cutting about this much off each spring to get them to fit over the top (metal) bump stop.

Then I supported the truck by the frame, removed the tires and let the suspension sag (one side at the time, if it matters). I have spring compressors ($10 pair from HF), and so it was a very simple matter of compressing them and putting them in place. I got about two inches of lift out of this mod.
Before:

After:
Old 01-03-2013, 02:48 PM

Gotta love the no-cut ZUK mod. I used TJ front springs cut to 12". Might be a little stiff but i'd prefer it to be stiff when empty and not sagging when I'm loaded up. Nice job
Old 01-04-2013, 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by derockus
Gotta love the no-cut ZUK mod. I used TJ front springs cut to 12". Might be a little stiff but i'd prefer it to be stiff when empty and not sagging when I'm loaded up. Nice job
Good point, the front springs are not progressive and I am sure they provide a greater weight capacity. I am about to lose the hard top and lighten my load so the softer progressive spring was the one for me. I cannot even tell a difference in the ride.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Rickstwowheels
Good point, the front springs are not progressive and I am sure they provide a greater weight capacity. I am about to lose the hard top and lighten my load so the softer progressive spring was the one for me. I cannot even tell a difference in the ride.
And if you change your mind they're easy to swap out!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rickstwowheels
I found a generous local Jeep guy who let me have his old TJ springs for free. I used the rears because they are shorter to start with, and (I assumed) a softer spring rate since the front of a TJ is much heavier than the back. I did not want them overly tall or firm because I am hoping to get a soft top in the Spring and that will reduce the weight of my rear end a good bit. The two springs were roughly the same height, but I did not measure them. I started by cutting about this much off each spring to get them to fit over the top (metal) bump stop.

Then I supported the truck by the frame, removed the tires and let the suspension sag (one side at the time, if it matters). I have spring compressors ($10 pair from HF), and so it was a very simple matter of compressing them and putting them in place. I got about two inches of lift out of this mod.
Before:

After:
Are those 33 x 10.5 BFGs?