86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yea!!!! Brakes!!!! pull left or right

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea!!!! Brakes!!!! pull left or right

Well i have been searching for this same problem for some time but have not found anything.
I have a 94 runner 3.slow and the problem is when braking my runner pulls left and right, never just right or left it starts one way and then goes bake and forth. I have to fight to keep the runner on the road and is pretty scary when you need to jam down on the brakes. There is no shimmy or any vibration, they are really smooth, no sticking, and pedal pressure is always good and constant.
It seemed to start right after i did all of the following:
Upfront--I did a 1.5 BJ spacers/ 1" diff drop/ 1"sway bar drop spacers/ new rotors/new Toyota brake pads/ re-packed the wheel bearings/ Idler arm with bronze bushing/ NWOR idler brace/ pro-comp es-9's.
Outback--FJsprings/pro-comp es-9's/ panhard-drop bracket/ stainless extend brake line/ home made LSPV bracket..
I'm rolling on 33x12.5x15 BFG KM1's with a 2.75" offset ENKIE 2-piece rim.
This was all done at the same time. i put the wheels on before the lift/brakes.
I did mess around with moving the LSPV up and down in 1/2" increments but no difference.
I did bleed the brakes right after doing all of this but not since.
I have checked the pads and they are wearing evenly on both sides, rotors are also fine.
I'm leaning twords the Toyota pads, they did not have a center groove like the stock Yoda's i had taken off, even tho i got them from the stealership.
Any input would be helpful and if you have read this far, thanks. seems like i just wrote an essay...
Old 03-27-2011, 11:31 PM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
did you get your allignment done after the lift? I would say its more of worn suspension making itself more visable after the lift.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:42 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Worn suspension parts or even the tires!!

You just changed the whole front end you are going to need to make some adjustments.

Also at what speeds and what kind of roads is this happening on
Old 03-28-2011, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than likely you have some play in the front end. Check your tie rod play, idler arm, balljoint etc.

Tires or brake problem it would more than likely pull a single direction. Play in the front end will wonder.

As for alignment, a rule of thumb caster will center your wheel, toe will track straight, camber doesnt affect drivability in most cases. A good measuring tape driveway check will show if the alignment is far out but not specifically tell you that an alignment is needed.

I have my milk nickle on play in the front end.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 AM

i did have an alligment right after and they said my lower ball joints were a Little loose but not bad. they told me that my alligment could last a week or 6 months due to the lower ball joints getting worse especially with the lift. so I'm thinking you guys are right about the ball joints, I'm going to give them a close inspection today....

Last edited by stb94tsi; 03-28-2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:35 PM

OK i adjusted the rear brakes witch had allot of slack and took about 20 turns, so that helped from nose diving and i also did the upper and lower BJ and the outer tie rods. this all helped but the adjustment of the rear drums made the biggest difference.
so i then took it in for an alignment and they could not get the camber on the driver side back to factory and it's 1.7 out. they said that it was at max adjustment and with it being lifted that they could not do anything more. they did say the front end looked good expect for the right caliper is sticking or it could be my wheel bearing may need repacked so they did not take it for a test drive because of this.
beacuse of the camber my tire is wearing on the inside allot.
so then i took it to an off-road shop to get a second opinion and he checked it out and said that the front end looks solid and wheel bearings are good and brakes are fine no hanging up on the right caliper. then he said the camber is at max adjustment and theres nothing he could do to correct it. he suggested doing a SAS witch i have been planning on doing in the near future. but he drove my runner and said it sways back and forth from the rear but he did not have enough time to look at it.
so for my front I'm thinking of cranking up my torsion bars a little to help the camber. now can i toque just one torsion bar or do i have to do both the same amount of times, and will this help?
as for my rear i have fj80, 4" drop bracket, and pro-comp es9000. my pan hard bar is not completely level and my driver side sits out an inch more then my passanger side. so could this be a cause, should i try to get my pan hard bracket more level? one thing i did not do while installing my drop bracket for the pan hard bar was loosen my trailing arms, could this also be a cause?or could it be the coils?
any ides would help as my runner drives like crap.