86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Yay - New Key!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yay - New Key!

Sadly, I misplaced my OEM Key was on a ring that also had the little metal "key tag" on it with they key code

But the key code was written on the Owners Manual so I didn't loose the code

I needed a spare key to be able to drop they truck off at the shop (for inspections etc) and to be able to retrieve the truck at night (the shop will lock the key inside the truck)

So I went to the dealer and had them cut a new key for me.

I saw the Teq key rings and while theirs were $10, and I see em on the web for $8 or so, this way I didnt have to pay shipping...

New Fresh cut Key from the Key Code!
Old 07-12-2017, 03:17 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
You'll probably find the key you lost when you need to cut the grass. You'll go into the garage and find it sitting on top of your lawn mower like mine was... It was my only key at the time and I had no code. I had to pull the passenger door lock cylinder to get the code off of it and the local dealer (Russell Toyota) refused to believe that was the key code. The parts manager kept trying to look it up off my VIN and said the vehicle was too old to generate the code. I had to go to the next nearest dealer (R&H Toyota) who had no trouble cutting a new key from the code on the lock cylinder I gave them.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:10 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
id test it to make sure it works ok first. both my previous toyota trucks ive gotten new keys cut and they are too sharp for the worn out cylinders to recognize. i needed to take it to a concrete parking block and "smooth out the edges" for it to work. lol.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm the original owner of the truck - I'm far to well aware of the truck's history...

The ignition cylinder was "re keyed" as the switch wore out...
Many people don't bother to get a new ignition lock re keyed to the old key - they just wait for the pins to wear enough so that it "works" with the old worn key...

The rest of the locks are original

I checked the new key - works fine!!!

I really DO want to find my missing key - as it has the little metal tag with the key code on it.

The dealer, seemed happy enough to charge me $$$ for a "blank" key (they didn't charge me for the cut - so I guess its a wash)
Old 07-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I always get extra keys made and the last time I did, the locksmith gave me the key code which he looked up from the VIN. i.e., Don't worry about the metal tag because your VIN will help you out. For a cost...
Old 07-25-2017, 07:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The cost would be paying the locksmith