Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Windshield install

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 12:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
Windshield install

I have an 87 pickup with a cracked windshield. Anybody replaced a windshield?? What tips and tricks and supplies do i need?? Can I reuse the existing seal or do I need a new one? Can 2 guys do this or do i need more when I install it? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-25-2010, 12:52 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
my suggestion, have a pro do it...we painted 2 rigs this last summer, first one we thought we would take out the windsheild, no big deal right....not so much, if you have the 90* angle razor blade then you can cut throught the sealer on the windsheild and get it out in one piece, if not then your in for a long job, we tired it all, piano string, rope saw lol, just anything we could find since it was an experiment, on the 2nd one, i paid $150 to have some one do it, 20 mins later i had new glass and seal all the way around. To answer all of your questions though, have the right tools, have 2 people and you will need some of the winsheild sealer that comes in a caulking tube type container, if you have the runner black window frame you could re use that or the chrome one, there isn't any other seal that i am familiar with, and you will need a new clip set for the chrome window trip also, good luck
Old 01-28-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do it yourself, after getting the windshield out, make sure any rust is sanded down, primed and painted. Especially where the top of the windshield sits at the pinchweld. Ive changed alot of windshields, but never on any yotas. If your careful, you should be able to reuse the chrome trim pieces. As for the seal, you can purchase the actual molding for that vehicle or probably get a generic one for alot cheaper from a windshield shop. Some windshields install better with the urethane applied to the windshield, others works best to apply to the vehicle, so a bit more research might help. Just make sure everything is clean and dry before you install. A dry fit might be a good idea before the actual install. Like OrRunner said it can be alot of trial and error getting the windshield out if you dont have the right tools. You can purchase olfa knives with an extra long end that will get down between the dash and windshield on the inside. It will cut out alot easier if you keep it sprayed with window cleaner or wd-40 while your cutting. Pro shops have special "cut-out" tools that does make it alot easier to get the old one out.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consider having a pro do it. I've done 3 now and it's no fun. Plus there's some special prep work that needs to be done before you reinstall it.

What you might do is have the pro remove it for you. Then you can inspect and repair any rust hiding under the trim which is very common for these trucks. Once any rust issues are fixed, have the pro come back and do the install. You may need a new set of clips to hold the trim since these will likely get damaged removing the trim and/or fixing any rust issues.
Old 01-28-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 273 Likes on 184 Posts
yep .. insurance is best ..
it's very time consuming if you dont do it all the time and dont know what your doing ..

if you have the time .. I'm sure you dont have the materials to do it right ...clip kit and eurothane are a must ..

Old 01-28-2010, 06:15 PM

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
thanks everybody for the help. i have a windshield from a junkyard that was given to me when i bought the truck. i guess i know why it wasnt installed. thanks again