Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Window slipping off of manual regulator

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window slipping off of manual regulator

My Xtracab has been sitting for a few years before I bought it. So of course the windows were a bit tight going up and down. The passenger side became a bigger issue. The window itself slipped off the track. I pulled the panel expecting to find something broken but everything was intact. However the channel on the regulator itself that the glass sits in was seperatinf from the glass when I'm going down. There's a piece of rubber strip that sits in there and it's dry rotted. I took the channel itself out and tried to bend it a little tighter and greased the side window rails to see if it helps. But the glass still seperates from the regulator. I ran the issue by my dad and he suggested cleaning it up really well and laying down some windshield adhesive and let it set for a few days.

However, I would like to know if that would be an actual fix or will I have this issue again? Do I just replace the regulator? I tried to search this issue but mostly just found threads that just led to greasing the side rails.

thanks!
Old 03-02-2016, 02:32 AM

Received 346 Likes on 215 Posts
Could go to the junkyard and grab a window out of another truck. Used glass from the You-Pull-It is probably about the same price as a new tube of windshield adhesive.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have dealt with the glass jumping out of the rubber seal. Still have not gotten it completely figured out. At the bottom of the metal track that holds rubber track sometimes jumps out. I have tried gluing it down to help keep the rubber like it should be.

Another thing that is a big problem with the rubber is that it dries and causes friction on the glass and is hard to roll up or down. I have seen window cranks strip out due to this. Literally taking both hands to operate the crank.

Apply silicone to the rubber and work the window several times to get it penetrated into the rubber. I have seen it go from both hands to operate to just my thumb and pointer finger to operate. That does help to keep the window in the track.

Here is what I use on the rubber track. I am sure there are other brands that will work.
Name:  SiliconeSpray.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  34.7 KB
Old 03-02-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tips guys. I guess I'll try gluing the window to the lower channel. I have the windshield adhesive from work so it'll cost me nothing other than time. Everything from the regulator looked fine so I didn't wanna replace it if I didn't have to. My driver side is tight but it's manageable with a helping hand on the glass. When I pull the panel on that side again I'll grease it all up.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Go to the junkyard and get a glass and regulator. I use WD-40 Spray Lubricant in my window tracks of all my vehicles.