86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wierd Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wierd Steering Problem

About a year ago I was doing 70 down the interstate and I started getting this pulse in the steering wheel. It wasn't that bad but I'd notice it pulsing to the left every once and a while. I stopped and check for anything loose and found nothing. Continued down the road and it stopped pulsing. About six months ago, same thing, very intermediate, pulsing for about 50 miles then stopped. 3 months ago, same thing. Now it's getting pretty bad and I can't seem to locate the problem. It doesn't do it all the time so it's hard to diagnois. Sometimes it will pulse only once and then normal and other times it'll pulse 2 or 3 times and almost pull me into oncoming traffic before it gets back to normal. I was hoping some of you might have some ideas as to what to look for.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Bruce
Old 07-31-2007, 02:17 PM

well mine didnt stop for awhhile like your but when my cousin gave me a 82 p/u he said it would shimmy at 55 then my dad drove it it would do it at 50 then when i go to drive it it did it at 45 it ended up being a bad tire and the belt broke
Old 07-31-2007, 02:23 PM

Assuming your steering linkage and suspension are in good shape, the only things I can think of that could generate a force to steer your truck are:
1. power steering failing - perahps you could try disconnecting PS belt and running w/o PS to see if the problem goes away?
2. asymmetric brake application... are your front disc pads wearing normally or rubbing?
3. failing wheel bearing on one side. Any high pitch squealing? Are both your wheels the same temperature after a long drive?

"Almost pull me into oncoming traffic" sounds extremely bad. I hope you can get this fixed before having to take any more risks.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:37 PM

i'd start simple with a tire balance/rotation and do a thorough brake/hub/bearing inspection.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 AM

The tires has been changed within the last year and the problem persists. Everything is tight up front, but I don't know how stiff the stabalizer should be(stock part) and I found a cv boot broken and the knuckle dry and sloppy. Could this be binding causing the pulse??? Also I found a little play in the wheel bearing...maybe 1/4 inch of play from side to side and up and down. Is this normal???

95 4runner 4x4 sr5

Thanks for the input
Bruce
Old 08-01-2007, 08:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
should be NO play in WB.... if it "click" when ya pull on it - its too loose.

Also CV would cause problems if you have ADD..

Possible internal brass bushing failure if the circlip on the stub axle is not inserted correctly...
Old 08-01-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by freeflyer
The tires has been changed within the last year and the problem persists. Everything is tight up front, but I don't know how stiff the stabalizer should be(stock part) and I found a cv boot broken and the knuckle dry and sloppy. Could this be binding causing the pulse??? Also I found a little play in the wheel bearing...maybe 1/4 inch of play from side to side and up and down. Is this normal???

95 4runner 4x4 sr5

Thanks for the input
Bruce
That play is not normal and you need a new cv joint. See if correct torquenig of the spindle nut will fix the play you describe in the bearing. If not, you need a new bearing as well.