Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Why NOT to procrastinate...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Why NOT to procrastinate...

Hey guys,

Just had a quick story for everyone on why you should fix things as soon as possible. So my buddy and I put in a new CV axle on the driver's side and put in new wheel bearings cause the old ones got hotter than hell. We also put in new pads. I am spoiled and got to use the shop he works at with awesome air, professional tools...and a lift Well afterwards there was a bit of a rattle when I drove that went away when I touched the brakes. My buddy had made the decision to throw away the anti-squeal shims for me so I assumed that's what it was and I drove around for about a week meaning to get around to picking a new set up from the dealer.

Here's where the putting off starts to SUCK OUT LOUD! I decided to do a little wheeling and took my kids with me. To get there you go down a couple miles of dirt road that's very occasionally maintained and pretty bumpy. All of a sudden my front driver's wheel LOCKS UP! Luckily we're doing maybe 25 on an empty dirt road and no one was hurt. After trying to get in motion again it becomes clear something is very wrong. But no anti-lock warning light, no brake fluid anywhere, the master cylinder is full. What the hell? I call my stepdad who has a car trailer and he shows up. Upon closer examination we discover the bolts for the caliper are GONE!I am very lucky I didn't lose those at 75 mph on the freeway. Soooooooo, if something rattles FIND OUT WHAT AND FIX IT!
Old 10-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like those bolts were not torqued properly.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:33 PM

I had that happen with a lower ball joint on my old honda. I changed the shocks front and rear and not long after it started squeaking whenever I turned the steering wheel. I figured it was just the new shocks wearing in. Imagine my surprise when the lower ball joint sheared off 75 miles from home. Thank goodness I was only going 35 mph at the time, or I would have been in the same boat as you at 75 mph. I did not relish paying that tow bill though. Not to mention the new CV axle.
Old 10-13-2013, 09:41 PM

Man alive I am glad no one was hurt! Back in the day I had a Camaro that I did the rear brakes on in the driveway. My brother asked to borrow it and I failed to tighten one of the wheels when I got it on the ground. Back tire spun off going down the highway. Everyone was fine but the tire did some damage to a motel. So yeah, I'll see you on the not procrastinating and raise you a double check your work.
Old 10-14-2013, 02:13 PM

Glad no one was hurt! chalk it up to a lesson learned
Old 10-14-2013, 02:37 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
....and add LockTite to your toolbox!!!