Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

WHY IS THE 3vze so bad to some

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jesses4runner
I read the ECT Mod and it's not the same but a similar concept tricks the engine to run leaner witch is what the IAT sensor MOD does but with the air temp instead of the coolant temperature. It makes me want to try this ECT Mod out on mine but it already runs so lean is there a point were running it really really lean will hurt something???
Dude...that is the ECT sensor! You did do the ECT mod!

Check where the ECT sensor is in FSM here. http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...98engineco.pdf

The IAT sensor is located in the AFM. You'd have to splice into the line for it somewhere(THA). Then connect your little gizmo there.
http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...92volumeai.pdf

Both circuits can be modified to adjust the fuel injection program. But the ECT(THW) signal is used by the ECU for more than just that.

Read this, pages 16-19.

BTW, where'd you get this thing?

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-26-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, Cool I get it Thanks for the Info and system diagrams helped me clear things up Probably were I got mixed up and why I cant find the IAT sensor in my manual I've been looking in the wrong spots Thanks. I knew there was a reason I needed to join this forum.

So In your opinion do you think I could attach One of these to the volume air flow meter AFM to do a similar thing with the temp tricking to the air temp like with the coolant ECT temp, or should I just look into AFM adjustment?

BTW MudHippy
I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!
Me and my fiancé thought this was GREAT
Old 09-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Here's what my setup look's like just for giggles Thanks
Old 09-26-2010, 06:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i've got a bone stock (other then some homemade body armor that weighs it down) 5 speed extended cab with the 3vze with 239,000 on it and heard bad things from all of the 22re and 22r owners about it who have previously owned 3vze's to the point where im about to do a 22re swap. it does lack power in H4, for example i went wheeling this weekend went through some mud and punched it and it just lagged and the RPM's slowly went up. its torquey in L4. in 2wd its pretty spunky too if you can shift fast enough to keep the RPM's up haha

Last edited by dropzone; 09-26-2010 at 06:13 PM. Reason: bypassing the censor
Old 09-26-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jesses4runner
So In your opinion do you think I could attach One of these to the volume air flow meter AFM to do a similar thing with the temp tricking to the air temp like with the coolant ECT temp, or should I just look into AFM adjustment?

BTW MudHippy
I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!

I'll keep my guns, freedom, and money.
You can keep the "change"!

Me and my fiancé thought this was GREAT
Thanks! The first one is a MudHippy original(I'm Cuckoo For YOTA Trucks!) The second is from a bumper sticker I seen a few months back.

You could do all three, or any combination thereof. The ECT and IAT mods will both effect the fuel management/trim. The ECT signal is also used by the ECU to effect other things like the ESA(electronic spark advance) and the ISC(idle speed control) programs too though. The AFM mod is just another way to recalibrate fuel management system, and it effects the air/fuel ratio over the entire rpm band. Which is effectively very much akin to splicing in a similar type device to the Vs circuit/wire from the AFM to the ECU. I'd imagine...

Last edited by MudHippy; 09-27-2010 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:25 PM

i have been passed down a 1989 Toyota Pickup with a 3VZE and a 5Speed, and i have no complaints. it has plenty of power after 400k, and it has never needed any head gaskets. the only thing we have replaced is a new timing chain, and the body panels. it also is on the factory clutch, and is in need of a new one. i consistently get 26+ MPG all day long, no matter how hard i drive it.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Toy ext p/u vs. Toy runner

I'm fairly new to this forum and to fixing trucks, I've done a little. Bought 92 toy p/u ex cab, stock, 5spd, blown HG, full engine rebuild 2 yrs before I bought it. Replaced HG, did a little maintenance here and there. It's got 270,000 mile right now.
I don't hate my 3vze. But I'm puzzled by the fact that when I accelerate, it feels like the truck wants to go a lot faster than it actually does. Feels like something is holding it by the tail. Is that what you guys are talking about the engine being under powered?
My brother has a 95 runner 5spd, and it drives better, accelerates faster and shifts smoother. Same engine same tranny.
The engine feels and sounds like it's got more power than it's actually puts to the ground. And I'm not complaining too much, I can easily go above hwy speed at no problem. But why such a big difference between p/u and runner? Any info will be helpful.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by my_toy
I'm fairly new to this forum and to fixing trucks, I've done a little. Bought 92 toy p/u ex cab, stock, 5spd, blown HG, full engine rebuild 2 yrs before I bought it. Replaced HG, did a little maintenance here and there. It's got 270,000 mile right now.
I don't hate my 3vze. But I'm puzzled by the fact that when I accelerate, it feels like the truck wants to go a lot faster than it actually does. Feels like something is holding it by the tail. Is that what you guys are talking about the engine being under powered?
My brother has a 95 runner 5spd, and it drives better, accelerates faster and shifts smoother. Same engine same tranny.
The engine feels and sounds like it's got more power than it's actually puts to the ground. And I'm not complaining too much, I can easily go above hwy speed at no problem. But why such a big difference between p/u and runner? Any info will be helpful.
No difference between the runner and p/u. when mine was lagging and sounding like it had more power than the wheels were putting to the ground i thought i had piston slap and major loss of compression somehow. i got sick of it and just decided to check the plugs and all of them were good except one. completely wet and i noticed the plug wire pulled off really easily, too easily so i trimmed the rubber boot down and pushed it on there till i heard it click and since then its ran awesome. ran even better after i did the head gaskets. also, my O2 sensor was bad so that didnt help either. truck runs like a champ now
Old 10-16-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Honestly, i really liked my 3.0. ZERO problems with it, gas mileage around the same as my 22re 4runner (3.0 was in a 4x4 truck) and the 3vze could actually break 65! I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.
The following users liked this post:
drpete82 (10-08-2022)
Old 10-18-2011, 12:09 AM

My 91 4runner has 297,000 miles on it, I was hoping to make it to the 300,000 mile club however I screwed up. The 3.0 I had was getting kinda weak but overall ran good, the small leak in the radiator did her in though. Not driving it for a few weeks I didnt realize the radiator was dry, the battery was dead so I jumped it off and decided to let it run for a while to charge up. I went inside started watching football and forgot about her. *sigh* When I realized it was still running I went outside to find her on her last limb, I could hear steam coming from the heads. Anyway what I am trying to say is, almost 300,000 miles and it was still running. It may not have a lot of power and may be slow but they still can last just as long as any other toyota motor with the right maitenance and not being stupid.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:02 AM

I'll take the opportunity to join in on some 3.0 b**ching...

My 92 3.0/auto 4runner was dependable. Only had a problem with a water pump locking up and the master cylinder going out (caused a wreck) the whole time i owned it. I drove it for about 60k miles and the whole time it felt like i was pulling a small mobile home behind me. When i did actually pull a uhaul trailer, it really didnt feel much different until i went up a hill. I thought i was going to have to pull to the emergency lane and put it in 4-Lo to get up the hill. Like someone else stated... Economy of a V8, Power of a 4 Cylinder.

In the end i still loved that truck and hated selling it.
Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 PM

my 5spd 3.0 is still doing pretty good @ 260k but the motor was rebuilt 30k ago by last owner.. gotta get a new clutch though :/
Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel like if you were to look at the 3.0 just on it's own merits it would be considered "okay".

It's when you look at it side by side with the other motors is when it gets a crappier rep.
Old 12-18-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by MaukNastyy88
my 5spd 3.0 is still doing pretty good @ 260k but the motor was rebuilt 30k ago by last owner.
I don't understand. If it was rebuilt 30,000mi ago, then it doesn't have 260,000 on it. If it was rebuilt before you bought it, then you don't know how trouble-free it had been.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:48 PM

im looking into a 98 TRD 4x4 with the auto trans that has the 3rz. how problematic are the superchargers with the 3rz?? thinking may just go with the 94 4x4 so i can get that workhorse 22re motor which i have previous experience with.
Old 01-11-2012, 06:01 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Ok it might not be faster than a 22re but it doesn't have to be a 3,000rpms to do a donut.
You can drive through trails at 1000rpms over obstacles and not stall. Noticeably more response and torque. I think thats all they were going for. Theres an increase in general drivability when the engine doesn't have to be shifted by an expert to get up a hill. Which one would your wife rather drive? Its virtually the same engine just a difference in rpms. And just a little more pep, (if running properly.)
Old 01-11-2012, 06:03 PM

And the biggest perk: their not popular. Means you can get them from a junk yard or anywhere for not much$$.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThatGuy1295
Ok it might not be faster than a 22re but it doesn't have to be a 3,000rpms to do a donut.
You can drive through trails at 1000rpms over obstacles and not stall. Noticeably more response and torque. I think thats all they were going for. Theres an increase in general drivability when the engine doesn't have to be shifted by an expert to get up a hill. Which one would your wife rather drive? Its virtually the same engine just a difference in rpms. And just a little more pep, (if running properly.)
You say that like 3000 rpms is a bad thing....
Old 01-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Not at all. I run my 3.4 in my taco at 3K in 4th towing my camping trailer. Just nice havin a little more low end. Its without a doubt a more expensive motor to maintain. And its a little more work to take care of, But definatly not a bad motor.
Got to pull all the spark plugs and turn it over every time it tips over unlike most of you 22re guys. Been running my 3.0 for years. Lots of wheeling/good maintenance no complaints. Been through lots of trials that are notoriously difficult.

22re is a tough one to compare to anything. Its hands down the most well rounded engine ever built. But the same people built the 3vz, could have done without that pesky head gasket flaw, but theres plenty of fixes for that these days.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:24 PM

i just did a full top-end rebuild on mine. has about 12000k now. runs super smooth. gonna do a snorkel intake and full performance exhaust soon, might open up a bit more power. gas mileage isnt that bad, it IS an SUV afterall.

Quick Reply: WHY IS THE 3vze so bad to some