86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

White Smoke when going around corners

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Smoke when going around corners

So I recently took apart my timing chain cover on my '91 22re pickup because it was leaking like crazy. I finally got it all back together and was driving, and I down shifted into second and went around a corner and as I accelerated out of the corner my truck threw a massive cloud of white smoke out the exhaust pipe. It cleared after probably 200-300 feet but occasionally does it going around a corner. Any ideas what would cause this?
Old 04-08-2013, 04:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Does it only do on corners or you just only notice it when turning?

How does the truck run otherwise? Did it start right after the timing chain job or a while after? Are you losing coolant and having to refill often? Did you do anything else to the truck while doing the timing chain? Sure this wasn't happening before the timing chain job?

More information will help someone help you faster.

White smoke is often sign of a blown head gasket (coolant mixing with oil)...
Old 04-08-2013, 04:12 PM

Does it only do on corners or you just only notice it when turning?

How does the truck run otherwise? Did it start right after the timing chain job or a while after? Are you losing coolant and having to refill often? Did you do anything else to the truck while doing the timing chain? Sure this wasn't happening before the timing chain job?

More information will help someone help you faster.

White smoke is often sign of a blown head gasket (coolant mixing with oil)...
Old 04-08-2013, 07:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
OR, it could be a hole worn thru the timing chain cover.....
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 PM

Sorry, I was at work when I did my first post. Here are some more details.

Aproximately 2 years/2,000 miles ago I blew my engine and put in a rebuilt one. I wish I would have researched the company I bought it from BEFORE I bought it because they totally ripped me off but thats too late now. The truck sat for 6 months after that, and then was driven once or twice a month. When I put the new engine in, I had the timing chain off a tooth. About a year ago I fixed it, and since then had major leaks in my timing chain cover. I also put a cold air intake on and switched the battery and intake so it doesn't have to go across the radiator.

I ended up buying another timing chain cover online and took that off as well as my oil pan to fix some leaks. After I put it back together, that's when I first noticed the smoke. Since then I took the timing chain cover off once more and put a new oil pump and water pump on, and this time I think I finally got it together with no leaks. However, driving it yesterday and today I've noticed occasional white smoke out of the exhaust pipe. It seems to happen most when I downshift and then accelerate through a corner.

Before I left work today I checked my radiator and noticed that it was not full of fluid, so I thought crap, must be the head gasket, but I topped it off, probably a pint of coolant, and then noticed that there was coolent in the overflow. I drove home from work (about 40 miles) and it only blew smoke once about 2 minutes after I left and it lasted for probably 500 feet. The rest of the drive though, no smoke. Got home and found that it was leaking tons of oil from the back of the valve cover. I put 2 QUARTS of oil in it (it was full yesterday) and I took the valve cover off and made sure the gasket was on right. It had slid some so there was oil all over the firewall and tranny/driveline. I put it back together and drove 5 minutes and got back home with no more leaking.

Is it possible that the smoke was from the oil leak? I thought that oil burned dark. The smoke did not smell sweet like antifreeze but rather like burned oil, but I was almost sure it was coming from the exhaust pipe. I guess I'll drive it more tomorrow and see what happens.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM

Sounds like the oil would slosh out around corners and its just leaking out of the back and onto the exhaust. Specially if you lost 2 quarts.

Had a camaro that ripped the cheap cork vc gasket and it did this everytime I accelerated at all..

Only time will tell and make sure to watch it. And yeah oil on the exhaust lasts a little while, that's why it would take 200-500 feet to disappear
Old 04-09-2013, 09:02 AM

So another thing I forgot to mention last night, when I got home from work yesterday, I checked the radiator again and it was full. I didn't lose any coolant on the 40 mile drive home.

I drove it to work this morning and did not notice any smoke. It idles pretty good and has decent power. My 22re pushed my 31x10.50's 90 mph which is as good as it has ever done. It seemed to have a little more power after I fixed the valve cover gasket. I have had difficulty with that gasket several times. It wants to move around every time I put the valve cover on.

So, maybe I was worried for now reason. I really hated the idea of changing the head gasket. I'll drive it for a while and watch it closely. I feel like I've done nothing but work on this truck ever since I put that rebuilt engine in.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
whats it smell like? oil smoke and coolant smoke both have unique smells
Old 04-09-2013, 10:16 AM

As I mentioned in my second post, the smoke smelled like burnt oil more than antifreeze. I don't know exactly what burnt coolant smells like but it was not a sweet smell. I just thought that burnt oil made a black or blue smoke instead of white smoke.
Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM

A tip, when doin your vc gasket seal, if you dab a little rtv on it, black or red, and then push it into the vc slot, it'll stay put a little better. And just a few dabs on the corners should do. And I've noticed oil that is burned through the engine, is gray/bluish, and oil burned of the header or exhaust is more white/gray. Hope it's all better!
Old 04-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Thanks guys. It's been running great since. Leaking a drop or two but that's less than I've ever leaked. Haven't had anymore smoke either PTL it wasn't my head gasket.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Did you change anything to make it run great since? Sounds like it just went away on its own?

Or did you just replace the valve cover gasket?
Old 04-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The smoke isn't coming from the exhaust pipe. You're squealing the tires around the corner. The massive power produced by these engines can get out of hand QUICK!!! Nascar actually banned these engines when they first came out because it was determined they were too dangerous for the drivers. You have to be careful or you'll go thru a set of tires every couple of months. Try idling around the corners and see if that helps any.