What's up with Engnbldr.com? - Page 2 - YotaTech Forums

Go Back  YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 86-95 Trucks & 4Runners
Reload this Page >

What's up with Engnbldr.com?

Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What's up with Engnbldr.com?

Old 04-11-2018, 03:56 PM

I'm glad to hear that you came to the same conclusion that I did after some research. I'm saddened to see that Engnbldr is moving out of Oregon though. I never needed their services, but was happy to know they were close to me.

I would first look at rebuilding your existing head unless it is trashed like millball suggested.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:04 PM

Yeah my head is cracked it's a small crack though so it may be able to be welded and ground down it may not. Either way I've decided against aftermarket if I can avoid it. A pick n pull head is cheap though I'd just have to find one that's in factory spec and not been decked. The junkyard Price list has the head at about 85$ with a cam and core charge.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:49 AM

I'd also check your local craigslist as well as Facebook classfieds, I've found a lot of good deals on FB, and there are a few specifically for Buy/Sell/Trade of Toyota parts.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by jakey poo View Post
I'd also check your local craigslist as well as Facebook classfieds, I've found a lot of good deals on FB, and there are a few specifically for Buy/Sell/Trade of Toyota parts.
Thanks for the tips ... I didn't know about Facebook but I do scan craiglsit ... actually there is a parts 4runner listed on CL in my area for 800$ ... I would totally do that but unfortunately I don't have a staging area to part out a second truck my HOA already gave me ˟˟˟˟ for working on my truck in the car port so now I'm restricted to evenings and weekends when the maintenance team is off work until I get the engine back in and can move it. it's stupid but apparently I can work on a car 24/7 on the street but can't use my car port? Definitely stupid rules. Although I might be able to pull off a part out on the street because "they" do dump and strip stolen cars in my hood periodically so it might just blend right in if I did it lol!

Last edited by outdoorjunky; 04-12-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:18 AM

That's the exact reason I bought a house outside of a HOA area. I've had my '83 cab sitting in my driveway for a couple months now, I'm sure an HOA would just love that
Old 04-13-2018, 06:38 PM

Hi, Troops. Just some updates, lots asking and I try to answer when possible. Life threw us some curves it seems. My son has run our operation for the last several years, and mostly by himself as it was just easier to control the quality. His Mom has suffered a stroke, quite serious and she must have 24/7 care. Medicare of course ran out and no way did he want to put her into the Medicaid system so he and his wife moved there to assist her themselves. Medical was getting to be.. well.. enormous. Family of course comes first, a dozen years ago I would have just headed back to the shop and taken over, but.. I am 74 now and frankly, physically it just isn't in me.
Tod is in Arizona, and doing what he must. The plan is to start over again there, add some models and lines and get back to work. I sold the Portland properties and business operation, lock stock and barrel since no way could I move close to a half million in large machinery down there with no place yet to put it, time was pressing. I really was hoping someone would step up to serve. No such luck, it is going to be a.. pie shop. Honest!! (Portland Oregon really IS weird.) Sort of out of my control there.. Still supplying odds and ends from here, time permitting but just on ebay, as soon as we get things sorted we will begin producing cams again, then adding some lines back in.
From there, who knows what Tod will come up with down there, it's a long ways from here so I leave that to his best judgement.
I do want to say thank you, a special one, to all of you good folks that allowed us to serve as best we could. I always enjoyed advising those that had questions. I wish I could give more info, but at the moment, none of us know for sure what tomorrow will bring.
I am still available online, and will always be happy to answer any questions I might have the ability to. I concede I really do enjoy that part.
Thanks again for what has been a wonderful two plus decades,
*EB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to engnbldr For This Useful Post:
Budman1 (10-20-2018), DemonRunner (09-25-2018)
Old 04-13-2018, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by engnbldr View Post
Hi, Troops. Just some updates, lots asking and I try to answer when possible. Life threw us some curves it seems. My son has run our operation for the last several years, and mostly by himself as it was just easier to control the quality. His Mom has suffered a stroke, quite serious and she must have 24/7 care. Medicare of course ran out and no way did he want to put her into the Medicaid system so he and his wife moved there to assist her themselves. Medical was getting to be.. well.. enormous. Family of course comes first, a dozen years ago I would have just headed back to the shop and taken over, but.. I am 74 now and frankly, physically it just isn't in me.
Tod is in Arizona, and doing what he must. The plan is to start over again there, add some models and lines and get back to work. I sold the Portland properties and business operation, lock stock and barrel since no way could I move close to a half million in large machinery down there with no place yet to put it, time was pressing. I really was hoping someone would step up to serve. No such luck, it is going to be a.. pie shop. Honest!! (Portland Oregon really IS weird.) Sort of out of my control there.. Still supplying odds and ends from here, time permitting but just on ebay, as soon as we get things sorted we will begin producing cams again, then adding some lines back in.
From there, who knows what Tod will come up with down there, it's a long ways from here so I leave that to his best judgement.
I do want to say thank you, a special one, to all of you good folks that allowed us to serve as best we could. I always enjoyed advising those that had questions. I wish I could give more info, but at the moment, none of us know for sure what tomorrow will bring.
I am still available online, and will always be happy to answer any questions I might have the ability to. I concede I really do enjoy that part.
*EB
Thanks for giving us an official update. I am sorry for what has happened. Engnbldr has helped countless members here.

Maybe the pie shop might have a 22R theme? LOL

Old 04-16-2018, 05:33 PM

YOTA1 should be added to the list of reputable companies. They are toyota fanatics and the customer service in my experiences surpass LC and Daves. They CNC their own heads and only use OEM parts. Check em out.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by engnbldr View Post
*EB
Thanks for the update, my heart goes out to your family and I hope them all the best!
Old 05-22-2018, 02:20 AM

And it looks like EB is slowly getting operations underway. Their site now lists them as selling cams again with talk of more services coming in the future. Just thought I'd follow up and mention that.

Cheers
Old 08-11-2018, 02:08 PM

What is a fair price for an engine head rebuild?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by shisha1999 View Post
What is a fair price for an engine head rebuild?
a million doll hairs..

Seriously, start your own thread it's right up there at the top of the screen...

Then you can give details. Such as where you are located, what it is you want done ect.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU View Post
a million doll hairs..

Seriously, start your own thread it's right up there at the top of the screen...

Then you can give details. Such as where you are located, what it is you want done ect.
haha!

Alright I think you could have searched as well but Iíll throw you a bone. I ended up getting my OEM head rebuilt for $295 that included adjusting the valve travel to match the decking of my block etc.. plus magnaflux and cleaned new valves all around and every bolt hole tapped and all studs replaced. It would have been cheaper but there wasnít much to work with on my original valves so they couldnít just be lapped. Original quote was 275

on another note @ Co_94_PU I just finally got the engine back together today, I literally just walked in from the shop where I was bolting on the fly wheel and clutch and saw the email notification for this thread. Now Iím gonna take a much needed break and then go replace the clutch master and slave cylinders and drop the engine in hopefully tomorrow morning. I am so glad I pulled the ECU and the wiring harness and then wired up the engine on the stand itís gonna save me so much of my sanity come tomorrow dude itís was a long road getting here... I would have been done months ago but all these bad things kept happening ... jerkoff turned left in front of my wife and I and totaled our daily driver and on top of that I made an error when using the ring compressor while installing the pistons to my block and it slipped and cut through a pair of leather gloves and right through my thumb and through my digital nerve. I ended up with an 1800$ surgery bill to restore feeling to my thumb which also set me back 6 weeks... most expensive 22re rebuild ever!

in the end the entire motor was shot ... Block was badly warped, intake was also extremely warped, cylinder walls were out of round, the knocking was because the big ends of my rods were over 3 thousands out of round. So your advice was right and then some.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Some bittersweet news: Update

It appears that ENGNBLDR is retiring, at the age of 75. All of the product links have been removed from their website and a message from EB is in their place: http://www.engnbldr.com/

You can still get their cams through Redline Cam & Crank in Oregon.

I wish ENGNBLDR well in retirement!

Old 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM

I can see an upside to this!

While it's sad we're loosing a great supplier, designer. With out all that shop time keeping up with orders maybe Ted and Todd will have more forum time to share with us.

Good luck guys best wishes from all your fans.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:56 PM

Best wishes in retirement and congrats on making it there.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:35 PM

Well, guess setting up shop in Arizona didnít pan out but it was a good run I suppose ... never had the pleasure of doing business with them but I definitely learned a lot from Tedís insight on the forum circuit hopefully he can go wheeling now
Old 09-21-2018, 06:43 PM

farewell ted and todd!! you were always very generous with your time and knowledge, and i've learned a lot from you two about my toyotas. i'm always pleased to tell people i've your parts in the motors
Old 09-24-2018, 03:10 PM

Good guys. Sad to see them go. I bought my head from them years back and they were extremely helpful with any questions I had.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 PM

Yup EngBuilder retiring.

He has put in his time. But the good news is you can get the cams directly from Bill Gentle. He is the guy who makes them. And heís not stopping there, heís is going to take over many of the services too. Including the same heads with the bigger valves intake and exhaust. Wondering if he is as good? He makes high quality cams and crankshafts and builds race cars. How many people do you know can make all 3 Cís. He actually has a few higher end cams for the 22R and 22RE. Tell him your engine modifications or what your build plans are he will custom make your cam to peak all your mods to the fullest.. EngBuilders web site is still up with the links to Bills phone number and email. Very fast response, really nice guy to talk with, very knowledgeable. Hope I didnít break any rules being new here, just wanted to let you all know. Because I am glad to know I donít have search for replacement. If your watching in. Hope you have a wonderful retirement EngBuilder!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's up with Engnbldr.com?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: