Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What specific tools to pack for 87 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been using a very simple sleeping platform for the past year and I really like it because it takes up minimal space & holds down gear in case of a rollover. I have a few ideas to improve the design, so I'm going to re-do it.

I have a Hannibal Aluminum Rack that's really nice but I don't like to put weight up there, even when I'm carrying this much crap. Not a fan of it's effect on MPG either. Probably the only gear I'll have up there is tarps, & maybe a surfboard...Actually, I may sell it since it's worth at least $600.

Been curious about storage near the frame rails & other nooks & krannies under the truck. Still have a lot of homework to do there

Last edited by Ruined Adventures; 03-07-2011 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:26 PM

Alright folks, knockin the dust off this thread

We're getting really close to departure date and I will update this thread with current info really soon...

But for now, we are asking for some easy help. We recently entered GoPro's "I Love My GoPro - Contest" and we're asking for some last minute votes for our entry. Last day to vote is tomorrow, November 17th!

The Grand Prize winners will get a $2500 cash sponsorship and one of "Everything We Make" from GoPro. We really want to win because it would pay for roughly 11,000 miles of our PanAm trip! We could also take tons of PanAm footage on the road. Do us a favor and vote for our entry...thanks!

Vote Here
Old 11-17-2011, 05:29 AM

voted!!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:35 AM
JPL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just voted, Awesome thread by the way! Smart thinking on not risking weapons across the border (especially since "Fast and Furious"), I'm a gun nut and would never try crossing the U.S. Mexico border with one. I live in AZ and have been into Mexeco enough to know that it's very likely your vehicle will be searched (either a quick look over or a slight tear down). With all your gear, compartments, and space saving storage I would hope they don't remove all it looking for weapons and drugs. God Speed!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
voted! and i can't believe that after all that nobody has said anything about fuse or wire and electrical connectors incase something weird happens and a wire gets cut or burned u need to replace it and it will prob blow a fuse so make dam sure u have wire connectors(like but connectors and male and female connectors) fuse, wire and deff multi miter
Old 11-17-2011, 12:22 PM

thanks for the votes and additional tips! I have a few of every crimp connector we could need, along with several spare fuses and a multimeter. I've even got a mini-solder and shrink wrap with a mini-torch. I'm not great with electrical stuff, but that should keep it covered.

The rear storage is setup so that you can quickly inspect everything in that situation. Nothing to hide here!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'll add extra tire valves and 1 gallon zip lock bags. Saw some where else that if you have to get
Old 11-17-2011, 05:05 PM

Cool

Voted.
Good luck.
I can't remember where the thread is but I seen this dude on here cut a hole in the floor between the frame rails above his spare and made a utility box in that space to store tools and other emergency goodies. He used the peace he cut out as a lid for it with hinges and a lock.

It would be a good idea to have a backpack that is only used for emergencies if for some reason you get separted form your truck or it gets confiscated.

I some day plan to take a similar trip. Maybe after next fire season. I would love it if you would start a thread on the preprations and specifics on the trip you are taking.

Thanks
Old 12-26-2011, 08:46 AM

Thanks to everyone who voted for us in that little contest! Unfortunately we didn't win, but no biggie! We have a camera and we're still doing this trip so it's of no consequence.

I updated our build thread on Expedition Portal, you can read about all the work we've been doing lately. We added a full Old Man Emu suspension, new tires, and we have most of our storage figured out. Still much more to come! We don't leave until January 29th and we'll be going straight to Southern California, then heading south thru Baja...can't wait!

Pretty soon we'll be loading up the 4runner with all of the tools and our other gear. After we decide what fits and what doesn't, I'll post an updated list here on this thread and show everyone how we managed to fit everything while still making the 4runner livable inside.

Here's a little teaser of how "The Border Runner" is set up so far:

Last edited by Ruined Adventures; 12-26-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:20 PM

I got a little carried away today in the shop. Something's brewing...

The Hannibal Roof Rack I've been trying to sell for months? Apparently nobody was interested in an awesome roof rack discounted by over 60%...so I said to hell with it. I'll just hack that up too.

Now before anybody freaks out because I "ruined" a $1500 roof rack, let it be known that I found this rack on craigslist for next to nothing. It was already hacked up and the original mounting brackets were gone...besides, I do what I want!

Now that you all think I've completely lost it, here's the whole reason that I went wild on my roof...

It's called a Fantastic Vent and it has a 12v reversible fan...those hot and stuffy nights in the back of the 4runner will hopefully be a little more comfortable.

Ahhhh, just pop the top open...

With the 4runner sitting as high as it is, you don't really notice the little dome-lens up there while it's closed...unless you're Andre the Giant (may he rest in peace) or you're looking down on it (shame on you), it just looks like another mall-cruiser.

Still have some trim work to do on the interior, but you get the idea. The fan has 3 speeds and it blows in/out. We could cook inside if we wanted to and it would work like an exhaust or we could blow cold air in thru the side windows and ventilate the stuffy air from the roof.

We also got a nice little 12v portable fan that perfectly hangs on the rain gutter of the rear slider window. We now have an intake and an exhaust fan to get the air moving a little. Maybe I should have cut a hole for a stovepipe chimney while I was at it, that would be nice for those chilly nights in the Andes mountains.

For those of you who like to carry gear on the roof of your 1st Gen 4runner, here's what it's all bolted to:

I found it 1/8" thin most the way around, then it thickens up to a whopping 3/8" thick in the fatter section. It seems that the thicker sections run from one side of the roof to the other, but I have no clue if there's a consistency to it or if I managed to cut thru the only thick section...let's hope this roof doesn't crumble in on me. I don't plan on using the rack to carry anything but a surfboard, but it's nice to have it just in case. I wanted to get rid of it, but nobody wanted to buy it so I figure what the hell...it may come in handy in the next 30,000 miles. Since I've mounted the rack thru several points, I feel like I've reinforced the roof a little. Skewed logic, but these removable tops aren't exactly designed by NASA engineers anyway...here's to you, 1987.
Old 01-23-2012, 12:07 PM

This is some good reading from a guy who traveled around the world in a 1996 Toyota Land Cruiser.
http://transworldexpedition.com/