Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What is this part on the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is this part on the intake?

What is this this part? I was working on the truck today and found this part has a hole in it. I did some searching but I can not figure out what the heck this is!

PS this is not my picture.. but it should illustrate what I need

Name:  22reengieshotarrow.jpg
Views: 2844
Size:  105.4 KB
Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's the air injection resonator.
Old 04-26-2009, 07:35 PM

What does it do? Do I need it? Thanks for the quick answer, just trying to find more information about it now.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:42 PM

Its just the sound resonator for the PAIR/Air Injection system. Im not sure if it will effect the outcome of emission testing (if you have it in your area)
Old 04-26-2009, 09:15 PM

pretty sure it dumps air into the exhaust to do...something.

google or wiki it. Im pretty sure the only thing it affects is emissions testing
Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 AM

The PAIR (or also known as the Air Injection ) uses the venturi effect of the exhaust gases to pull clean air into the exhaust, via those hoses connected to that resonator and through the PAIR valve, to aid the catalytic converter in oxidation while warming up.

to my first post, I meant I dont know if removing the resonator will affect the emission readings. I know if you dont have the PAIR system in, it will affect it.

Last edited by toyota4x4907; 04-27-2009 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 AM

Thanks guys, I did a little more research and found some people were putting small cone filters on the hose that goes down in to the engine bay, and removing the hose that goes to the air box. I wasn't able to find a clear picture on this, if any one has one or can confirm that would be great. Thanks again all
Old 04-27-2009, 05:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cchant
Thanks guys, I did a little more research and found some people were putting small cone filters on the hose that goes down in to the engine bay, and removing the hose that goes to the air box. I wasn't able to find a clear picture on this, if any one has one or can confirm that would be great. Thanks again all
Although I don't have a picture of it I did indeed put a small cone filter on the top of the resonator. When I did the intake mods I didn't have an easy way to re-run the original hose. I used a little Spectre filter from Napa, cut a piece of hose off of the original airbox that the filter would slip into and then slipped that little assembly onto the nipple on the resonator. A couple of hose clamps (again off of the original aribox) to hold it all together and away I went.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Although I don't have a picture of it I did indeed put a small cone filter on the top of the resonator. When I did the intake mods I didn't have an easy way to re-run the original hose. I used a little Spectre filter from Napa, cut a piece of hose off of the original airbox that the filter would slip into and then slipped that little assembly onto the nipple on the resonator. A couple of hose clamps (again off of the original aribox) to hold it all together and away I went.

Did you remove the resonator or just add a filter on top of it? Reason I ask, mine has dent in it, so air is able to go in and out through that hole and I am thinking about removing the globe resonator altogether.

I live in Arkansas and we do not have emissions testing so no worries there.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:23 AM

Did you remove the resonator or just add a filter on top of it? Reason I ask, mine has dent in it, so air is able to go in and out through that hole and I am thinking about removing the globe resonator altogether.

I live in Arkansas and we do not have emissions testing so no worries there.
I just put the filter on top. I didn't see a reason to remove the resonator and we have crazy emissions here.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
I just put the filter on top. I didn't see a reason to remove the resonator and we have crazy emissions here.
Okay. Another question for you, the hose that runs from the resonator to the airbox, what did you do with it? Remove it completely?
Thanks!
Old 04-27-2009, 06:54 AM

Okay. Another question for you, the hose that runs from the resonator to the airbox, what did you do with it? Remove it completely?
Thanks!
What I did is a little odd. I actually removed the airbox, swapped the battery into the stock airbox location and then modded a Supra MAF and "custom" intake into the stock battery location.

I would think that you'd need to remove that factory tube and block it off but I don't have a factory intake handy to look at.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:00 AM

Cool thanks for the info. I think what I will do is pull the resonator globe out and put a small cone filter in it's place, then remove the hose that goes from the resonator to the air box.

Any suggestions on how to block off the hose going in to the air box?
Old 04-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Location: Cincinnati, Ohio - Amelia is the exact place. There is no one else on this site from where I am. Seems like everyone is from Cali or Washington. I guess I need to move.
What is this this part? I was working on the truck today and found this part has a hole in it. I did some searching but I can not figure out what the heck this is!

PS this is not my picture.. but it should illustrate what I need

HAHAHAHAHA, that was my motor I rebuilt!!!!! NICE!
Old 04-27-2009, 02:10 PM

Take all the tubing out from the airbox to the resonator and block the opening on the airbox off with some duct tape

It should be fine to take the resonator off. Its just like a muffler for the air injection system
Old 04-27-2009, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by 89whitetoyota
HAHAHAHAHA, that was my motor I rebuilt!!!!! NICE!
lol it was the only picture on Google images I could find that showed what I was looking for.

Since the rain stopped, I went outside and looked at it. From the looks of it I will be able to remove the resonator globe thing and attach one of those cone filters to the hose that attached to the bottom of it.

As far as the air box goes, I have plenty of duct tape, but I didn't know if I should use some kind of cap or what haha. Looks like another little project to get done
Old 04-27-2009, 03:39 PM

Abecedarian wants to know why you want to bypass it. He said it takes air after the air filter in the housing and doesn't take any horsepower away from the engine. And if you remove the resonator it will make a lot of noise. And you can get rubber caps from the auto parts store that should cover the fitting on the air filter housing.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sin91
Abecedarian wants to know why you want to bypass it. He said it takes air after the air filter in the housing and doesn't take any horsepower away from the engine. And if you remove the resonator it will make a lot of noise. And you can get rubber caps from the auto parts store that should cover the fitting on the air filter housing.
It's not that I particularly care to bypass resonator, it's the fact that it has a hole in it, and already makes all kinds of racket lol. I figured I might as well clear some space in the engine bay and at least put some kind of filter on the hose since there is a gaping hole in the resonator.

Any reason I shouldn't do it? I did some quick searching but couldn't find a price on that particular part to replace it. I know those little cone filters can be had for about ten bucks.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:49 PM

i removed the whole system. no emissions here. i capped off the air injection pipe on the manifold and capped the hole in the airbox with a little plastic cap i got from napa. with all that crap gone it makes the fuel filter easy to change. and its nice to clear some clutter form the engine bay
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 PM

wait... got just what you need:
Name:  pair.jpg
Views: 1832
Size:  121.3 KB

Quick Reply: What is this part on the intake?