Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

what to paint the frame/undercarriage with?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post what to paint the frame/undercarriage with?

I was wondering what people have used/ what works the best to paint the undercarriage of my truck with?? I was thinking just some semi-gloss black rustoleum but maybe there is something more heavy duty that would last longer??
Old 02-08-2006, 02:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
POR-15 with a rustolium topcoat would be best but would be a serious DIY project.

Look up "rustproofing" in the yellow pages. There are places that will steam clean the frame, remove any surface rust then spray it with an thick oil-like covering that will protect from rust for years and years.

Lamm
Old 02-08-2006, 02:44 PM

yes! i just did this to my yota and you'll be amazed how much a clean black frame will do for yours. it's called, mar-hyde undercoat, it's available at wal-mart, it's a rubberized undercoating. like $2.73 a can. the can is red. (for fenderwells, not for frame) but for the frame, any quality paint, but in my opinoin, buy the high performance, it's a little pricier but the other paint (the cheap stuff) will look like sh#t after a few months. p.s you got a sandblaster? better do it right!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
line-x
Old 02-08-2006, 03:12 PM

Here is a wild idea. Maybe it isnt safe near the exhaust area, but you could coat areas with a type of petroleum based wax used in metal casting. Its called microcrystaline wax and if its hot (liquid state) you could brush it on and it will not come off. It will soak into the metal pores, and it is very sticky stuff. Completely water and salt proof. I have thought of using myself, but I havent figured out if the flamabilty of it would be an issue. I am thinkning in rust prone areas that the tires throw salt on. and between metal plates like between the bed and the frame.
Hence my name
Old 02-08-2006, 03:39 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

PWDR PG,
do ya wheel it ?? if so, use the cheapest spray paint you can find, wheeling it, you will scratch the frame, skids, etc.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by trythis
Here is a wild idea. Maybe it isnt safe near the exhaust area, but you could coat areas with a type of petroleum based wax used in metal casting. Its called microcrystaline wax and if its hot (liquid state) you could brush it on and it will not come off. It will soak into the metal pores, and it is very sticky stuff. Completely water and salt proof. I have thought of using myself, but I havent figured out if the flamabilty of it would be an issue. I am thinkning in rust prone areas that the tires throw salt on. and between metal plates like between the bed and the frame.
Hence my name
a microcrystaline (casting) wax will flash around 400 degrees, give or take depending on the wax. i wouldn't suggest using it around the exhaust, and trust me, when it smokes it stinks to high heaven.
your suggestion of a "hot wax" application is common on finished metal castings, it is placed over the patina (chemically oxidized color) to perserve the color. but in this case, it's best to use a harder wax, such as Staples. this wax was developed initially to coat bowling alleys, so you can imagine how durable it is.
any hot wax application to any kind of metal is much like the oil sprayed on extruded steel when manufacutured into the various industrial shapes. when heated, it is absorbed into the metal and will last a good while. but if you've seen metal that has sat outdoors for any length of time, it rusts even though it may have been oil treated.
all this having been said, and based on my experiences, use paint.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:29 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Next thing you know yotatechers will be cosmolene'ing their frames... LOL
Old 02-08-2006, 05:43 PM
Contributing Member

Here come the rumors of a bunch of FJ's packed in cosmolene and crates....
Old 02-08-2006, 05:47 PM

oooh, cosmolene! Its funny who you run into and how often we know the same stuff. Yeah the problem with the wax ( was imagining thick coatings) is that if it catches anywhere, the whole frame becomes a slow buring candle.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:08 PM

OH YEAH!! that'd be lovely, flaming yotas! good idea trythis. Once the yota cooks you could drench it is soy sauce and have an oriental cuisine!, Umm yes... i'd like an order of the fried toy with a side of rice.

Last edited by lftd_86_yota; 02-08-2006 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:07 PM

I got an ad in the mail for Proactiv. I ordered 4 cases to cover my frame.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:14 PM

Not a fan of POR-15 anymore. If the fame is bare, I'd have it dipped and galvenized; assuming you do not intend to make any additional mods.

Otherwise I'd dip it and use a very good self etching primer and high quality auto motive paint. Getting inside won't be easy, but I'm sure doable.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:26 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
what's wrong with POR-15?

Are you serious about having the frame galvanized? Where in the world would do that?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

this steel company my mom used to do stuff like that...

im sure a specialty steel fabber thats big enough to do it would for a price...

its handy when you live in pittsburgh though...haha
Old 02-09-2006, 07:49 PM

POR-15 HANDS DOWN. This stuff rocks. It'll cost you some money but it will be the smartest thing you could do for your frame. I'm surpised they don't paint frames with this stuff at the factory.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:03 AM

I live in the northeast and we get a lot of salt and snow in the winter. I've had frame issues on several vehicles. What I plan on doing to my newest project, a 1993 Yota 4x4, is drill some holes in the bottom of the frame where my 82 and 84 Yotas both rotted out to let the water/salt drain out. Then I'm going to try the POR-15 or XORust. I haven't used them before but I have heard good things about both.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:11 AM

heck man, I just hit it with some cheap crap undercoating spray from Wal Mart in a red can. Worked well enough for the South. Of course, I don't live where they have ever needed to salt the roads in the past 5 years...
Old 02-12-2006, 10:05 AM

I also had problems with the frame of the '84 truck I used to have. Drilling holes in the bottom of the rail to let it drain out is a really good idea. I've tried a few things on my 93 4runner and have found that generic brand black asphalt undercoating has stood up the best. goes on thick and doesn't flake off as easily as "chassis" paint seems to.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:34 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

I've tried a few things on my 93 4runner and have found that generic brand black asphalt undercoating has stood up the best. goes on thick and doesn't flake off as easily as "chassis" paint seems to.
Ive heard something very close to this,
Ive heard that "tar" or "driveway sealer" works great, i even talked to a Henry rep. about it, he has heard alot of people doing this. oh Henry is a brand name of tar/driveway sealer you can find at Home Depot. once i get my skid plates, i might try this.

Quick Reply: what to paint the frame/undercarriage with?