Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

What do I want to do next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 03:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do I want to do next?

Ok folks, after reading and searching Yotatech and the web and finding all sorts of mods that I would love to do I am at a loss as to what I want to do next. What I want to end up with eventually is a highly streetable expedition style rig. I like to travel alot, and do 4wheelin along the way and when I get there. I don't see alot of rocks in my truck, mostly mud bogs, water, and eastern woodland trails. Right now, I have what's listed in my signature, along with some other goodies and gear thats not part of the truck, but I usually bring along as well as marlin sliders that I haven't gotten installed yet.

I'm almost certain I will be getting BJ spacers for the front of my runner soon, and I might get shackles if need be. Question is, what next?

1. Gears and Traction aids

2. Winch

3. Motor Stuff (Rebuild Likely)

4. Rear Bumper

5. Roof Rack and Basket

I'm not sure what order I should do what in, or exactly what I want for each.
For the Winch, I'm thinking Warn, M8000 or XD9000.

For the motor, I would most likeley do the Engnbldr master rebuild kit with some extra goodies, Don't know what else i should get with it, or which cam. 268 is proabably the one for me, correct me if I'm wrong. LC header would be nice and if I'd already spent the money on the rebuild a full exaust would be a step up from my rusty old pipes.

Rear bumper, i have no idea about. i'd like something kinda squareish, like my ARB, not tubular. A swing out tire carrier would be nice, but not neccessary. Shackles and a 2" reciever if it takes place of my tow package.

For the roof I'm pretty much limited to the Yakima rain gutter rack and a basket, which is not too expensive and could hold my tire if it won't go on the rear bumper. (I also thought about getting a mount for the tire on the outside of the rear quarter panel, wouldn't that be sweet)

Gears and lockers....I plan on staying at 31"s unless the BJs and Shackles make me feel like i can fit 33x10.50s. So, I'm thinking 4.56 gears because I need more power in 5th gear. If I did decide on 33s, I'd lean more towards 4.88s. I don't really want a hard locker in either axle because of the amount of street driving I do....I've really got my eyes set on dual true tracs. Considering the wheeling I do I think it would work well enough and still be great for on road manners.

This is quite a bit for one thread, but I figure you guys can handle it.

Last edited by bob200587; 12-19-2005 at 03:53 PM.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:46 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your main off road trail fun is mud bogs & water (and I do know what kind of trails they have in your neck of the woods,) the 31s gotta go...
Traction - tires and traction aids - should be the only thing on your list right now.
And the winch, for when traction fails...

Everything else is just fluff.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the engine needs work or a rebuild, get that done first. You can't do anything with a lifted truck with big tires and gears if the motor is junk or needs work.

Then follow flamed's advice
Old 12-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

I'm hesitant to go much bigger in the tire dept., definitley not any wider, since I can't go wider on my stock rims, and the tires I have now and the others I would consider aren't offered in a 33x10.50 so I might be out of luck there....My engine runs fine as it is now, I just finished the seafoam treatment this weekend, but down the road a ways a rebuild would be helpful for getting some more power out of the motor.

Should I regear or no? If I do go with 33s I don't wanna have to do it again, but I need more traction now. The dual truetracs sound like a good plan?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:13 AM

Perhaps not next, but sliders are a good investment, logs can do the same damage rocks can do, I have seen it happen. Even for expedition type travel, sliders are a must IMO. Disregarding the protection they offer, you can use it as a step and it is also convenient to jack from to change a tire or something.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Contributing Member

Yea, I have sliders, but they're not installed yet....I'm workin on it. I would have liked to have em last night to stand on, I went to go through this hole in an open area, we checked the depth with a stick to see how deep, but apparently it got bigger when I got about half way through. My tires got buried and my tailpipe was underwater burbling. Anchored off to a heep and come-a-longed my way out.