Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Well I did it myself

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I did it myself

I finally got the top off the 4runner today. The wife wasnt strong enoguh to help so i slid it back and then teetered it on my shoudlers to the ground and walk it away from the truck on the corners. It isnt light but not as heavy as i thoght. I just need to find a place to store it.

So now i have to scramble and make a soft top for it. I am going to get a canvas tarp from northern (bout $30) and cut it up to make a top and sides. There wont be any windows but that is fine with me. Gonna use conduit for the bows. I will use snaps to hold it together, and also help with keepnig the seems since i am going to try and not sew it, but glue and use snaps or grommets to hold it together. Hardest thing for me is to just seal it to the top of the truck cab i have seen pics but i have to see what i ahve available. The canvas i have seen is a mustard color so i will end up dyeing it and then waterproofing it more. If it lasts me 2 years, thats fine. We'll see. But boy is it nice to drive around with no top on
Old 06-08-2008, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice Runner. Do you plan on any any mods,lift, SAS, ect?
Old 06-08-2008, 01:51 PM

Right nowi dont have money to put into it, but i have a front axle waiting for me to pick it up. Pretty much lift it to fit 33s, regear, lockers, and add a lower gear set for the Tcase. Oh yeah and get teh AC to work
Old 06-08-2008, 01:56 PM

Right on, nice 4runner. To get my top off i just back up to the retaining wall beside my driveway and pick it up on my shoulders and walk straight off. Keep us posted on your soft top build and lift. PICS ARE A MUST!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 04:44 PM

yeah soft tops aere very nice im going to be making one soon it only cost about 60 bucks or so but that me sowing it to though and im getting marine fabric to lol
Old 06-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Hey Danstew,check out our bulid on my brothers rig at 87 4runner soon to be bad. You two can conpare notes,and keep the threds going.