86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Weber WOT bog

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 06:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weber WOT bog

Alright, I did a complete desmog, plugged all the holes in the intake except the barb for the brake booster vac and PVC and installed a weber 32/36 with the 2 piece spiral adapter from lce. It idles beautifully and runs fine as long as I drive normally and ease into the throttle, but if I go from idle to WOT quickly it bogs down for a sec or two and then picks up runs like a scalded dog. It also diesels down pretty bad. Best settings I've come up with as of now are

Speed screw 1 1/2
Mixture 1 1/4
Timing 5* BTDC
Jets are all original with carb. Only ones I know off the top of my head are 60 pri idle and 50 sec idle.

I've seen tons of threads with the same exact problem all over the internet with jeeps, cars, trucks but unfortunately none of them have an end with a fix. Has anyone else had this problem and actually found the fix??? If so please tell me before I scrap this weber. Open to all suggestions/advice
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amazingly, it soulnds like your Weber is too rich on the idle jets. With the speed screw 1 to 1.5 turns out, your mixture screw should be between 1.5 and 2.5 turns out. When you smoothly accelerate, your engine is able to create enough vacuum to take the fuel in, but when you stomp on it, it's too much fuel and not enough air, so it will bog until it can get the intake velocity back up to handle the fuel. General rule is to change jets by 1 size at a time, and change all of the fuel jets(primary and secondary idle and main jets). Also, out of curiosity, what's your idle and timing set at, how do you have the vacuum advance setup, and which adapter plate are you using?

Reason I say it's amazing is that mine was lean, even running it at 4,000 to 6,000 feet elevation. I had a header, but that's the only performance mod I was aware of on my old '83. If you check out the pre 84 section there's more info on the Weber's, including the tech on the sync link kit I installed and the LCE spiral adapter.
Edit: I see you said the LCE adapter and 5btdc timing. Also forgot to address the dieseling, but that could be fixed with the smaller jets. If not, consider getting an anti-dieseling solenoid for the primary idle jet holder, and hooking 12v switched power to it. It's supposed to snap shut and block fuel when you shut the key off to prevent dieseling.

Last edited by JonnyBoy; 07-28-2014 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:19 AM

I love at 102ft elevation, pretty much right on the coast. I considered the ad solenoid, but I figured if everything else was correct and tuned properly on the carb it wouldn't diesel down. I've also seen a few threads where the solenoid didn't help with the dieseling. I'm assuming there carbs were way off like mine. Jets are the last thing to try so I guess I'll order a jet kit next.

Also, should the weber be pulling any vacuum at idle on the port on the carb? That's how I have my vacuum advance set up. Only vac lines I'm running is the vac advance to the carb and the brake booster and PVC off manifold vac.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:27 PM

Anyone? Vac at idle off the carb? Or no vac? I'm pulling vc at idle for sure, don't know how many inches it is pulling since I don't have a gauge, but can get one if necessary.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The vacuum ports on the carb above the throttle plates will not pull vacuum at idle, if they're right at the base, they will. Lots of people told me I had it wrong on mine, I hooked the vacuum advance straight to the manifold and capped all the ports on the carb. Worked like a champ, though.

Never used a vacuum gauge to see how much it pulled at idle. Also, the lines were off on my crank pulley, so I couldn't even tell you where my timing was at, I just did it by ear.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's too lean. I had the same issue until I bought one of these:
https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...asp?RecID=4145

The pump jet you have is only a single. This is a dual. You also need to drill it out a little: http://bradleyrestoration.com/techni..._pinprick.html

I did that and mine takes gas with NO hiccup whatsoever.

After you do this for extra performance advance your timing more. My timing is a 10 degrees. As a matter of fact last night I tried to advance it further but it pings above 10 degrees. I started at 20 and brought it down 2-3 degrees with a quick run down the road each time listening. Timing will NOT fix your bog just help with overall performance.

Originally Posted by turkey
Alright, I did a complete desmog, plugged all the holes in the intake except the barb for the brake booster vac and PVC and installed a weber 32/36 with the 2 piece spiral adapter from lce. It idles beautifully and runs fine as long as I drive normally and ease into the throttle, but if I go from idle to WOT quickly it bogs down for a sec or two and then picks up runs like a scalded dog. It also diesels down pretty bad. Best settings I've come up with as of now are

Speed screw 1 1/2
Mixture 1 1/4
Timing 5* BTDC
Jets are all original with carb. Only ones I know off the top of my head are 60 pri idle and 50 sec idle.

I've seen tons of threads with the same exact problem all over the internet with jeeps, cars, trucks but unfortunately none of them have an end with a fix. Has anyone else had this problem and actually found the fix??? If so please tell me before I scrap this weber. Open to all suggestions/advice
Old 08-26-2014, 02:54 PM

Accelerator pump takes up the slack between part throttle and WOT. Don't over think it. I'm not familiar with that weber but all carburetors work the same. Adjust the acc pump if possible. Good hunting.