Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

The Warn Hub Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Warn Hub Thread

My 4Runner came with Warn hubs from the PO. I have read many times "Warn hubs are junk" & "throw them away" etc, but aside from one person stating that they do not have cone washers, no one has said why they are junk.

I have no idea what "Aisin's are stonger" means. What breaks in the Warns? Who has had a set of Warn hubs break and what was the failure? I do not want to get stranded, but I also don't want to replace good parts that have served me perfectly to date...with a not-so-easy life since my ownership.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Biggest thing for me is the Warns do not use the cone washers and thus create more shear load on the wheel hub studs. Without the tension created by the cone washers the nuts loosen up much easier. A loose manual hub causes the wheel hub studs to shear much easier.

:wabbit2:
Old 10-16-2011, 01:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Could you just throw in some cone washers? Can't be expensive.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:32 PM
Banned

Warns don't have the taper for them, so it's not that easy or inexpensive.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

The Warn hubs are not machined for the dreaded cone washers!!

I run Warns and don`t have problems with the nuts coming loose!!! Even though they were never seized .

Since I don`t get into hard core off road driving maybe that is the reason.The roads around here are bad enough

Wabbit does have a valid point any bolt coming loose is subject to failure
Old 10-16-2011, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Biggest thing for me is the Warns do not use the cone washers and thus create more shear load on the wheel hub studs. Without the tension created by the cone washers the nuts loosen up much easier. A loose manual hub causes the wheel hub studs to shear much easier.

OK. I get it now. Thanks for the explanation.

For now, looks like I'll be adding that torque check to the pre-wheeling to-do list.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What rabbit said plus some cosmetics..they stick out WAY further than asins..and take a full rotation to lock instead of half..just small stuff
Old 10-17-2011, 05:39 AM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
I have Warns on my 87. Never had any problems, never come loose. As lame and lazy as this sounds, I prefer the Aisins over the Warns because when its 5 below out, and your nee deep in snow, turning the dial 90 degrees is a lot easier than turning it 270 degrees.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i had warns before my sas on 32's and they never had problems, now lock it up with some 35's or 37's and you might run into problems. i have seen pics of the3 hub body itself fragging apart
Old 10-17-2011, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got Warns on my pickup and never had a problem. Running 33x12.5's.
Don't know if I'd say that having to rotate the hub an extra 160 degrees is really that big a deal for me....

Anyway, had no problems with them and think the chrome housing goes better with my Outlaw II rims.
Never understood why the inner part of the Aisin hubs were painted bright frigg'n red. The color just clashes with everything else on the truck and it's usually the first thing I see when looking at the rig but it's no big deal to paint them.

The cone washer thing could be a big deal and could make a difference. I'm not into extreme wheeling so it hasn't been an issue for me but I'm thinking this isn't really a problem with the hubs as much as it is a problem for the hub studs.

Just wondering if anyone has broken a Warn hub unit (Hub studs don't count)?

Last edited by Innocent Fool; 10-17-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Received 178 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by rattlewagon
I have Warns on my 87. Never had any problems, never come loose. As lame and lazy as this sounds, I prefer the Aisins over the Warns because when its 5 below out, and your nee deep in snow, turning the dial 90 degrees is a lot easier than turning it 270 degrees.
Indeed. Freakin hate that.....
Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 AM

Does anyone have the stud torque spec for the Warn premium hubs? OE studs with the cone washers are 23 ft-lb, but they are likely not the same torque spec. The PO installed them and I didn't get ant literature on them with the truck.

Something I want to keep my eye on much more...
Old 10-20-2011, 04:52 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
check summit racings website and see if they have those hubs for our trucks, they may have an instruction sheet on them, if not try warn's site. I believe they still make them.

I like the rest have heard bad things with warns on our trucks, yet they are the best out there for say a f*rd br*nc*.
Had the premiums on mine (i believe they may have been factory installed on my 85) and no issues, however hard to break hubs when your NP205 or was it 208 t-case was bad. LMAO.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
check summit racings website and see if they have those hubs for our trucks, they may have an instruction sheet on them, if not try warn's site. I believe they still make them.

I like the rest have heard bad things with warns on our trucks, yet they are the best out there for say a f*rd br*nc*.
Had the premiums on mine (i believe they may have been factory installed on my 85) and no issues, however hard to break hubs when your NP205 or was it 208 t-case was bad. LMAO.
PERFECT! I checked warn.com yesterday and it was sales literature only, but summitracing.com had the pdf. Good to know that they have instructions for their parts. I'm going to print it off and throw it in my FSM just to have.

18-25 ft-lbs is the torque spec. I guess the Aisin 23 ft-lbs is still good.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:06 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Yeah best thing about summits site is you can see what your getting yourself into BEFORE buying something. I like the jegs site when it comes to cross referencing part numbers and fitment. IMO theirs is better then Summit's.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit

UGH. I'm going wheeling tomorrow morning and on my night before check, I confirmed the torque of the Warn hub bolts. All 12 were way below the 23 ft-lbs. spec. It will now get checked at least monthly and before each wheeling outing. I'm also going to check after I get back tomorrow.

It has been about 6 months though since I last checked.

Maybe a set of Aisin's is on the Xmas list
Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 AM
Banned

That's the issue I've seen repeatedly. They just don't stay tight, nuts get loose, studs shear under load.

Old 10-22-2011, 07:25 PM

ddddddddddddd
Old 10-22-2011, 10:23 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Smile

I can only think it must be the pounding the front axle takes when one is crashing down off rocks.

Then again in the Northeast Salt belt we have problems getting things apart maybe all the winter chemicals act like super loctite

Bottom line for the most if the Warn hubs were machined for the cone washers no doubt another issue would then arise.

I see that once most people get it in their head a product is no good is is very difficult to get them to change there mind.

When putting my Warn Hubs on I always used new lock nuts and new nuts and never seize maybe the new hardware is a bigger help in keeping them tight .
Old 10-22-2011, 10:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have owned many toys since 87'. Warn or Aisin has never failed me. Moderate off-roader speaking. I have warn's on my truck now, but a pair of nice aisin's ready to go in the garage.
Do you like the stick out look, (warn). Or do you like the tight minimal twist of aisin's.
Most Yota's are in favor of the Aisin,(they sound Japanese).

In my opinion, they will both do great in mild to limited extreme conditions.

My opinion only

Quick Reply: The Warn Hub Thread