Sponsored by: DashLynx

W56 rebuilders: watchouts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W56 rebuilders: watchouts?

To those who have personally rebuilt or watched someone rebuild a W56:

1. What are the watchouts while rebuilding it?
2. Any advice or pointers?
3. Also, where did you get your rebuild kits? (and dont be worried if you didnt get it from marlin, I'm lookin for all the angles!)

For those who have rebuilt a R151 or a G52, where did you guys (or girls) get your rebuild kits?

I know you need a press, and I'm sure you need gear pullers, but are there any little special tools you had to fab to make it easier? If so, what are they and how did you do fab them? Is there anything you wish you did differently? Did you mess up anything, or is there anything easy to mess up? Hows your rebuild working out?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-28-2007, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
looks like you will be the guinea pig. i am supposed to be getting a W56 from a guy next month, and will attempt the rebuild using marlin's HD kit. i would like to find a R151, but who wouldn't. i did a little searching and found a few articles , but nothing as clear as the t-case build on marlin's site.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
as far as trannies go the W56 is probably about in the middle of the difficulty range. not hard, but if you don't know what you are doing it may be quite the challenge.

there are some special pullers that will help.

I would suggest refering to the factory service manual for details.

And as far as watch outs, the only thing that comes to mind are the detents for the shift rails. pay close attention as you take them apart. I've seen a couple people get them wrong and end up having to take it back apart because it would go into two gears at once.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We did the Marlin kit

Yes, the press is nessesary. And the gears are brittle. Press wrong, and they chip.

Ours had a broken 5th gear and counter gear $$$

By the time we were done, we should have just bought the rebuilt. It was a lot of work, and I am mechanically inclined. Also had access to press and pullers and other tools
Old 12-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Its so easy to rebuild a manual tranny. Look out for the small pieces and take pictures. Youll need a press, pullers, snap rign pliers and a good set of sockets and tools. Check out my thread at the bottom of my truck description. it gives you a bunch of good pics and some details on the rebuild for a R150F. Its truley really easy and just takes time and like I said pics are so valuable apon rebuild. My thread also has a great site on rebuilds and I think it has the rebuild pics and descriptions for the Wseries. check it out and good luck.

P.S. go with Marlins HD kit cant go wrong with them