86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

w55 5spd in a '93?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w55 5spd in a '93?

hello everyone. my name is matt. im new here.

ive had my '93 pickup for about a year now. 2wd standard cab..22re. it has 389k on it. all the problems ive had have been small. belts and brakes. slave cylinder blew and i replaced that and the clutch master(it went dry).

recently a larger problem has reared its ugly head. over the last few weeks, popping out of 5th gear has gotten worse and worse. ive read into it a small amount and have replaced the shifter bushing. while this has helped the overall feel if shifting and what not, it still pops out of 5th, and 5th only. its never popped out of any other gear(ive taken long around town trips where i would stay in 3rd or 4th for periods of time and it wouldnt pop out once).

my plan is to buy a clutch, and a beating kit that comes with synchros. and if theres something else wrong once i get in there, ill weigh my options.

my problem is this: the sticker in the door says i have a w55, but everywhere ive looked at the bearing kit says the w55 only ran in the pickups from 80 something to '91. mine being a '93, are these kits still ok to buy?

or can someone point me in a better direction? im very mechanically sound and i know forums can provide a plethora of good tips and tricks on things so i appreciate any info.

thanks!
Old 12-03-2017, 12:41 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Before you buy a bearing Kit figure out just what Transmission you have.

Unless you are sure that you have a W55

Might be just as easy to find a used one to install while taking your time rebuilding the current one

Having never seen a 2wd Toyota Truck up close i know very little
Old 12-05-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
if that's whats on the door sticker I would be likely to believe it. Unless the truck has had lots of work done by previous owner making you believe the transmission was previously swapped. I think the rebuild kits for the w55 also fit other w series transmissions. The only difference between the different years I believe is the input shaft bearing size. Give it a try. Its pretty difficult to identify these gearboxes other than w series vs g series ect.