Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Vinyl Film instead of paint job

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vinyl Film instead of paint job

Okay guys,

I have been thinking about this for a while. I hate the red color of my rig. I was thinking about painting my 2nd gen 4runner. I priced a paint job and they quoted me a couple a grand. I though about doing it myself, but the prep work is not for me.

I have seen tons of SUV's with the vehicle wraps, and found out they use vinyl film. You can get this stuff on ebay. Probably less than a couple a hundred for a whole car.

Any thoughts pro or con? Call me stupid if you want. The flame suit is in the closet.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Doesn't sound like a long term solution but I'd be curious to learn more.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:50 AM

from what i have heard about vinal wraps are durable but can be difficult to install there was a tundra that the 4wheel parts mag wrapped in camo a issue or two ago that looked good you night want to talk to a pro about having it installed
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by yaqui
Okay guys,

I have been thinking about this for a while. I hate the red color of my rig. I was thinking about painting my 2nd gen 4runner. I priced a paint job and they quoted me a couple a grand. I though about doing it myself, but the prep work is not for me.

I have seen tons of SUV's with the vehicle wraps, and found out they use vinyl film. You can get this stuff on ebay. Probably less than a couple a hundred for a whole car.

Any thoughts pro or con? Call me stupid if you want. The flame suit is in the closet.
for a couple of hundred you can go to Earl Scheib or One day. (one day is better) and get your whole truck painted. i had mine painted at one day about 5 years ago and the paint still looks great. for like 300 bucks. i think i paid 500 with bodywork and doorjams painted. if no bodywork prob about 300. and they always have specials.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
check out Shorytts build up...only other one I have seen.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index...8829#msg528829

Old 04-07-2008, 10:00 AM

it would be hard for you to wrap the whole truck w/o getting any f-ups check some local paint shops for someone to do a side job for ya (you do all the prep)
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Azusacanyonbogger
for a couple of hundred you can go to Earl Scheib or One day. (one day is better) and get your whole truck painted. i had mine painted at one day about 5 years ago and the paint still looks great. for like 300 bucks. i think i paid 500 with bodywork and doorjams painted. if no bodywork prob about 300. and they always have specials.

You'e in the minority since most of these cheap jobs look like ass after a year or two but you also live in Cali where the climate is a little more stable with minimal temperature extremes or actual 4 seasons.

Good paint isn't cheap especially on newer cars but an older vehicle it might do the trick.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Google says that if you are serious you could get a quote from this company http://www.carwrap.com/

If you do let us know how much they charge.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM

It's usually about $3000+ for a sedan and the prices go up from there.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 AM

I helped 3 of my friends do the "camo" wrap on their pickups rocker panels......the kits were all from the same company and its pretty high quality stuff but, I have to admit its not really that easy to do contours and have absolutely NO bubbles (beer doesn't help!).
The first one was really bad.....2003 Dodge extra-cab.....really round edges
the second and third ones were a little better especially the last one.....they are both 2005 Ford F-250 4dr shortbeds......more square......shorter pieces
The more you do the better you get but it is a lot of work getting the edges nice and bubbles just plain suck.

After that fun if I was doing my whole truck I'd pay someone to do it......actually I watched a show where they were doing a Nascar and they had a totally different method than we did......they used a heat gun that was like those leaf blower back-packs and the guy used the gun and a squeege to push out bubbles at the same time......seemed more effective.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM

I do it for a living and i charge about 3 to 4 grand to do a wrap. It is a huge pain.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Contributing Member

What's the longevity and durablity since once it tears or something it could ruin the whole thing?

Paint is still better tho'.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:34 AM

I'm pretty sure that Shorytt knows someone in the industry that did his
Old 04-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
What's the longevity and durablity since once it tears or something it could ruin the whole thing?

Paint is still better tho'.
I used to have mine wrapped for about a year and it was fine but i would say 5 to 6 years for normal trucks.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yaqui
Okay guys,

First I would say you better research it well I would think that in time the moister between the wtap and the body would start eating away at the body panels then you would have a real mess on your hands. I mean during the summer there got to be a sweat factor involved.

Next why not check into the $60 roll on paint job use the search here and you can find a couple different people that have done the roll on paint job here and it only took a day or two to do and comes out looking pretty good plus the touch up after and few trips into the woods is cheap.

Just a few couple things for you to think about good luck.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Ya a full wrap would definitely be difficult. After a bit of practice you would get good at doing smaller panels, but the big pieces would be really difficult. I put some big vinyl logos on my van for business and the shop that made them showed me how its done. I wasn't even covering a full panel and it was hard.

Basically, you mix a few drops of shampoo with water in a spray bottle. You spray the panel then stick on the vinyl. While the panel is wet, it won't stick at all. So as you get it in place, you squeegy it a little till it starts to stick. Then you make sure you have it exactly in position as you squeegy more. It will take a couple people. And then the contours would be another thing. You use a heat gun to basically shrink the vinyl around your contours. I did 2 logos about 3 feet long, and 1 on the back about 1 foot long and it took me hours with the help of my gf.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
try a new wrap!?

although, you'd probably end up on Jeff Foxworthy or something.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:47 PM

sand it smooth it rattle can it
Old 04-07-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by fastkevman
I helped 3 of my friends do the "camo" wrap on their pickups rocker panels......the kits were all from the same company and its pretty high quality stuff but, I have to admit its not really that easy to do contours and have absolutely NO bubbles (beer doesn't help!).
The first one was really bad.....2003 Dodge extra-cab.....really round edges
the second and third ones were a little better especially the last one.....they are both 2005 Ford F-250 4dr shortbeds......more square......shorter pieces
The more you do the better you get but it is a lot of work getting the edges nice and bubbles just plain suck.

After that fun if I was doing my whole truck I'd pay someone to do it......actually I watched a show where they were doing a Nascar and they had a totally different method than we did......they used a heat gun that was like those leaf blower back-packs and the guy used the gun and a squeege to push out bubbles at the same time......seemed more effective.
for bubbles, get a seringe, carefully poke into the bubble, push your finger into the bubble opposite the seringe while sucking the air out with the seringe. Flawless

I used to instal Clearbra... all sorts of techniques
Old 04-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Contributing Member

If it's going to cost a few grand then a professional paint job is better and it'll last a more than three times a wrap would.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Film instead of paint job