Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

V6-22R on 94..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
V6-22R on 94..HELP!

Ok, found 94 Pickup Reg Cab, V6, 5spd, blown head gasket.

Can I swap a 22R in place of the V6??

I own 2 good running 22R's and would love to save all the hassle with just a simple motor swap, plus I dont like the gas usage on the V6.

Can this be done? I have only owned Pre-85 trucks and so my knowledge of the 90-95 trucks is almost non-existent.

I am looking for info on: Motor Mounts, can I use the V6 mounts? Wiring Harness, how big of a PITA will it be, can I just swap or cut it out? Will the crossmember still bolt up if I use the V6 mounts?

Basically I am hoping there is someone who has done this or helped to do this that can tell me what I would be getting into.

Thanks as always you guys!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nope. unless you find a bell housing from an 86-87 turbo 22RE, you can't bolt up to the R150F transmission found behind the V6. motor mounts are different, as are the transmission cross members. under the hood, there is a lot of differences between the 22RE and the 3VZE.

of course it can be done though. hacking the wiring harness isnt that challenging. but its really not gonna be the simple swap you were hoping for...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:31 AM

Well I have a complete driveline from my smashed 85. Would I be able to just put in the whole driveline? Would the crossmember from either the 94 or the 85 work as a bolt up to that?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:34 AM
Contributing Member

yes, the frames are virtually the same. someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong though. Driveshafts might be a problem, but you should be able to theoretically bolt everything up, so long as you have the transmission to match.

and why not fix up the V6? and if you are handy with a wrench and decide to do the swap, I could possibly be interested in your transmission...
Old 03-28-2008, 11:37 AM

Basically, I love my 22R's to the death. I have a full time Toy Truck and now I am just trying to put together a clean reliable daily driver that will get me the best mileage possible.

If your interested in the V6 or any of the driveline then if I buy it your on my PM list.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Contributing Member

sounds good. you won't be disappointed with the 3g trucks. they are about as tough as Toyota made them, and without hugely serious rust problems.

I love 3rd gens so much that I bought one as my first vehicle, and I just bought another to fix up and keep too!

But def. keep me on your list. I'd take your ECU, bellhousing, crossmember, flywheel, clutch, transmission, shifter set, and anything else you can sacrifice. I am going to do a 5 speed swap on my V6 truck this summer.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Slednutjetskier
Basically, I love my 22R's to the death. I have a full time Toy Truck and now I am just trying to put together a clean reliable daily driver that will get me the best mileage possible.

If your interested in the V6 or any of the driveline then if I buy it your on my PM list.
you didnt end up buying the truck huh? if not, I'll have one for sale in the next month or so. 22re, 5spd, 4wd. float me a line if you'd be interested then.