86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

truck wont come out of park!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck wont come out of park!

ok so my truck wont come out of park, and none of my gauges are working. no fuses blown fromn what i can see. ha...any ideas?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I had the same problem. There is an electrical lockout switch in the trannie case (inside the cab on the floor) which is supposed to prevent you from shifting unless ignition on (I think). Mine went when I fried the back of the wiring harness, which we think caused a short. Either that or the switch got fried for some other reason (was towing a 12 foot trailer at the time). Had to replace the lockout and some other hardware.

The fact that your lights etc won't come on suggests something like this.
Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
on the side of the shifter, probably around the housing on the console you might find a small door, like 3/4" square that you can pop out and use a screw driver to push an indent. I have had that happen to me a couple of times. Dunno what causes it but it seems like it is a reset...

Awesome flex BTW, like your runner
Old 08-03-2007, 08:12 AM

ya i did something REALLY stupid. i was putting a single 10" sub and 200watt amp in, ya know just for alittle bass. well i got lazy and just tapped into a fuse for power...so ya i think i fried something, im trying to pull my fuse box right now to see if i can see a apparent damage, fried wires, ect...
Old 08-03-2007, 08:51 AM
Contributing Member

Hi; I don't know whether this will be of assistance since I have a 2000 4Runner but I had similar experience:

I was towing my girlfriend's horse trailer when we stopped for gas. While filling up, the horse became skittish and ended up hip-checking the front of the trailer so hard that it moved the truck and trailer at least 6 inches. Thereafter I could not put the shifter into gear. I automatically assumed it was a linkage problem and simply continued to "reef" on it until it did go into gear. After that, I left it in neutral until the next day when I could get it into the local Toyota dealership.

It turns out the problem was a 10 amp fuse that is part of the electrical lock-out system. The linkage was fine except for a little sloppiness because I was a dumbass but other than that, the gear shift works perfectly. The tech gave me some 10 amp fuses, I gave him $140 and left (he did suspect that possibly faulty trailer wiring may have blew the fuse well before we stopped for gas).

Hopefully it's something simple like the above; good luck and keep us advised.

James
Old 08-03-2007, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you try the shift lock over ride button?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:02 AM

homer, where was that fuse that you are talking about. Is it under the hood or the driver's side kick panel? thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bigtrucknwheels
did you try the shift lock over ride button?
I dont think it is going to be that since the gauges are not working. Tach, battery meter, no dummy lights, water temp, oil pressure, etc. No gauges are working.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:06 AM

I have a little slot in my consol that if this should happend, It tells me to push a scerewdriver in the slot to unlock. Never happend to me as of yet, but maby this will help if you have one.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
its not the f@#$%^&* OVERRIDE!
Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 AM

I say cover it in gasoline and set it on fire your brothers luck has rubbed off on you!

Aaron
Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 AM

No it is with his truck still. I'm just logged in and was typing for him. Mine is doing fine. But we are tired of people saying to check the Shift Lock Override button. It is not that.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
its not the f@#$%^&* OVERRIDE!
Dude, I think you should carm down, we are just trying to help. RELAX.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by keithguts
Dude, I think you should carm down, we are just trying to help. RELAX.
Well this is extremely frustrating trying to chase wiring and when you're out sweating like crazy and cramped in a little space trying to look for stuff it gets a bit nerve racking. Plus you were the 3rd person to suggest that and that was the 3rd time we have said that wasnt it. We appreciate the help, but when it is the same thing over and over and we are constantly saying that is not it, it gets a bit old. Sorry
Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
Well this is extremely frustrating trying to chase wiring and when you're out sweating like crazy and cramped in a little space trying to look for stuff it gets a bit nerve racking. Plus you were the 3rd person to suggest that and that was the 3rd time we have said that wasnt it. We appreciate the help, but when it is the same thing over and over and we are constantly saying that is not it, it gets a bit old. Sorry
It's ok. I'm sorry. I no how it is when you want to get something fixed. The longer it takes the more nerve racking it gets. But as I said, we are only trying to help. We try here to point out answers to your questions. I do no that at times all answers are not correct, but we try. Sorry again.......
Old 08-03-2007, 09:45 AM
Contributing Member

Is the 10 amp gauge fuse good in the driver kick panel?
Old 08-03-2007, 09:52 AM

Oh 881st stop being a giant drama queen! What would your commanding officer say? How about shut the hell up and dont come back until its fixed! Well thats what I would say. Currently I'm on vacation in a nice remote spot so sucks to be you. Maybe you should call Blake and see if he knows what to do.

Aaron
Old 08-03-2007, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by xcmountain80
Oh 881st stop being a giant drama queen! What would your commanding officer say? How about shut the hell up and dont come back until its fixed! Well thats what I would say. Currently I'm on vacation in a nice remote spot so sucks to be you. Maybe you should call Blake and see if he knows what to do.

Aaron
Hey asshat I didnt ask for your lip (this is 881st). We fixed it. We got under it to check on the linkage and we found a wire that goes to the tranny disconnected. So we connected that and then went back to the top to see if it would shift, which it still didnt do. So we then jiggled the fuses a bit and voila! it works. So we appreciate EVERYONES help, sorry if we got a bit "dramatic" Thanks again everyone and have a nice day. Except for Aaron, i hope you drink too much and have a killer hangover whereever you're at. ha j/k. Take it easy.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:02 PM

aaron you suck...this is kenny btw...again you suck
Old 08-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
wtf.... who is who?

Quick Reply: truck wont come out of park!