86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck was stolen, slightly chopped, then recovered. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck was stolen, slightly chopped, then recovered. HELP

Hello, this is my first post but iv'e been lurking for awhile. Anyways, long story short, someone decided to steal my truck and mess it up in almost the worst way possible. Here's the short list:

Wire harness from ECU to the engine bay as been cut with a large chunk of wires missing.

All wires coming from the intake manifold were cut and removed

All wire going to and from the Engine fuse box were cut, and the check connector was taken.

A large white wire coming from the ignition coil area was cut, not sure where it goes to

Starter battery cable was cut and removed

I have pics of most of this stuff but i do have a few questions. For the check connector, does anyone have any idea where i could get one, if the salvage yard doesn't have one? What would be the simplest way to get to all the wires under the intake manifold? And as for the larger wire coming from the coil area, where does it lead to?

Oh yea, its an 87 4runner DLX 5speed 4cl.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i gotta get this thing back on the road ASAP.

Last edited by bfunkchubb; 05-27-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I feel for you right now. That's just sick and depressing. Hunt around on here, there's links to junkyards, couple good ones in west and PNW, probably a harness from identical or very similar truck would be your best bet. I wouldn't even want to individualy rewire all that. What's yer '20?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:08 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
4 cyl or v6? I know you say 88 dlx but you could get both in 88.
Was it insured?
Good luck
Old 05-27-2012, 12:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Junkyard wiring harness will be the cheapest way to get that fixed.
Just pull the complete harness, try to label as much as you can.
If you pull it yourself, you'll have less trouble figuring out how to install it in your vehicle.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:22 PM

Its a 4cyl. I was able to find a harness out of an 88 carolla, but its carbed. At the very least I am hopping to do bunch of color match to atleast try to get close. Im just glad I know how to read a wiring diagram.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:27 PM

why not save yourself the hassle and get the right harness? Theres bound to be some out there.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Wink

It might be nice if you tell us where you are?

So many in the Witness Protection Program we do understand.

Help and parts could be close at hand.

I also agree you will drive yourself crazy and have quite a few bad connections no doubt.

Get the correct harness.

You must have made someone mad EX -girlfriend??
Old 05-27-2012, 03:12 PM

more info and location be much better off getting the correct harness i have built and wired these yotas and best replacement is going to be the correct one unless your a electrical engineer and like banging your head against the wall, find a complete take some pictures before you pull it, the wires will have the general lay out and shape of their orientaion and placement and if your nervous about not remembering grab some painters tape and a sharpie and start tagging and writing notes as to there location or component
Old 05-27-2012, 04:46 PM

*Cough* diesel swap *cough*

Seriously though. That is a horrible thing to do I hope you can get it repaired inexpensively.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by yota toy
more info and location be much better off getting the correct harness i have built and wired these yotas and best replacement is going to be the correct one unless your a electrical engineer and like banging your head against the wall, find a complete take some pictures before you pull it, the wires will have the general lay out and shape of their orientaion and placement and if your nervous about not remembering grab some painters tape and a sharpie and start tagging and writing notes as to there location or component
I'm in the high desert in so cal.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:55 PM

car-parts.com put in your vehicle info zip code etc. automatically performs a search of salvage yards nationwide, can select anything from a engine bay harness to door motor engine block and so forth very helpful for used parts.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM

Truck was stolen, slightly chopped, then recovered. HELP-imag0149-1-1-.jpg

Would anybody be able to tell me what this connector goes to?

Also, would anyone be willing to take a few pics of their engine bays so i can kinda see where the wires are going to and fro? Thanks.

Last edited by bfunkchubb; 05-28-2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9
It might be nice if you tell us where you are?

You must have made someone mad EX -girlfriend??
nope, it was a couple of crack heads who got caught in another stollen car and they had my plates with them... i look forward to seeing them in court.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:28 AM

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
go to the pick a part junk yard in hesperia of santa fe. there were a few first gen 4runners out there last week. if they are not there anymore, then check the pick n pull off gasline rd in victorville.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 AM

major bummer, but at least you get to meet n greet the ones who did it. I'm a firm believer of the accused recieving a swift kick in the gonads before sentencing, which may or may not happen depending on the judge...cruel and unusual crimes deserve cruel and unusual punishment, if you never ask then you never know.

Best of luck with the search and rescue.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a wiring harness off of an 88 22re. I will let it go for $75 shipped, due to your unfortunate situation. I know your pain; some little punk kids broke into my car last week and stole my new golf clubs. I hate thieves, especially crack heads.

Let me know if you want it...
Old 05-30-2012, 09:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i feel your pain my 79 was ripped when i lived near hemet. i hate thieves and methheads. pull a part. take pictures, and you can find free factory service manuals on this site https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f115...manual-156129/ good luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 10:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dang, that sucks man; at least you have the satisfaction of finding the idiots that did it. Makes revenge so much easier!

best of luck to you, hope you get back up and running soon!
Old 05-31-2012, 10:09 PM

Ok here's a little update. I've got the fuse box mostly put back together and 95% of those wire have homes now. Hopefully I will be able to get the engine to turn over by the weekend so that way I can see if there is any severe internal damage. Assuming Every thing is all good there, I will be able to focus on wiring up the ecu and repairing the radiator support and hopefully it will return to life.

One other question, the wires from the distributor were cut, but can I splice in just any wire, or do I need to track down the disy wires?

Thanks
Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 PM

Depending how far you are willing to drive if you still need parts, the pick a part in Monrovia is pretty good. It's been a while since I've been there so I'm not sure what they would have. Sorry about your misfortune man. Hopefully you get her up and running soon.

Quick Reply: Truck was stolen, slightly chopped, then recovered. HELP