Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Truck stalls when I hit the gas

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When my fuel pump was failing, I was SURE it was the tranny going out. Of course, it turned out that it wasn't the tranny. Gotta make sure that the engine is working properly before you can diagnose any potential tranny problems.

Mike in AR
Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should have been more specific. I can start, idle strong, put in reverse and back out under the engine's power (no throttle)...put it in drive and idle, but as soon as I hit the gas...dead.
Old 03-26-2006, 12:42 PM

So I disconnected the TPS and engine does not stall anymore. Will it hurt anything to run with this disconnected while I source another part?
Old 03-26-2006, 02:06 PM

OK...spoke too soon. Further test driving with TPS disconnected yielded the same result. Engine dies with slight throttle applied. This make me think TPS is still good and adjusted correctly. What next?

Last edited by Denk; 03-26-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-27-2006, 07:14 PM

Maybe your AFM is off? Get your timing checked it might be off!
Old 03-29-2006, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Denk
OK...spoke too soon. Further test driving with TPS disconnected yielded the same result. Engine dies with slight throttle applied. This make me think TPS is still good and adjusted correctly. What next?
actually, i think you just proved its the tps. the truck should not rev at all with the tps disconnected. if it makes no difference if its connected or not connected, i think you may have found it.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:52 AM

I need to get the timing checked. and attempt to check the tps electronically. Why is i that you have to jumper the diagnostic port to do the timing?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:07 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Denk----there's something you're not telling us....did you buy it this way?....or did this just happen recently? What was the last things you did under the hood and did you mess with any of the wiring behind the passenger plastic kick panel?

also, did you buy cheap gas?
Old 03-31-2006, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ZUK
also, did you buy cheap gas?
I think that is an oxymoron now-a-days.

My personal expierience with the same problem is that it is the TPS or the fuel injectors.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Cheap gas would only leave sediment in the gas tank, and only after a long time. What does flow up the fuel line would get caught by the filter. Granted, i'm sure something is getting by, but not much. And as the stealership has said to me twice now..."you don't need a new filter, they don't go bad." I had to practically throw $$$ at them to get it.

That is such Bull ˟˟˟˟˟...I find it hard to believe that after 16 years of service, the filter would NOT need to be replaced.

Anyway...I would have to rule out injectors as I can redline the engine with no stutter. Stalling only occurs whenin gear and moving.

Nothing has been messed with since the last oil change. I know it sounds dumb, but it just started happening one day.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:33 PM

Did you ever figure out what was wrong with your truck I am having the same problem and it is driving me crazy..
Old 04-19-2006, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Denk
I need to get the timing checked. and attempt to check the tps electronically. Why is i that you have to jumper the diagnostic port to do the timing?
Don't do much with the timing until you get the TPS in working order. With a TPS that's out of calibration, the timing will be off anyway.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:41 PM

How does the TPS go outta wack? Will this only happen if the set screw comes loose?
Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 PM

i would check the AFM door, just had the same symptoms on my 22re - turned out the flapper door in the AFM was stuck -- it did check out on the meter thou -- just pull it off and leave it hooked up and see if the door moves when you hit the throttle...
Old 02-19-2016, 04:20 AM

I know this is an old thread but I was hoping that you may have resolved the issue or if anyone can point me in the right direction. I have a 1992 Toyota 4Runner with the 3.0 V6. It starts and runs and sounds strong. It idles around 2k then when I put it in drive and hit the accelerator it chokes out and stalls. If I put it in park and crank it, it will start back up and run fine up until I put it in drive and hit the gas. Please help! I was thinking it may be a vacuum leak or the TPS, I was just hoping someone on here would have solved the problem already...
Old 02-19-2016, 10:59 PM

^ I'm having the same problem on a 94 3.0 I just picked up from my bro. He stopped driving it because it started acting up on him. Mine doesn't necessarily start up very easy but when it does it will idle all day until you go to give it gas.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Snatchymanx
^ I'm having the same problem on a 94 3.0 I just picked up from my bro. He stopped driving it because it started acting up on him. Mine doesn't necessarily start up very easy but when it does it will idle all day until you go to give it gas.

I fixed my problem, it ended up being a misplaced airline im guessing from the previous owner. It was line that ran to the fuel pressure regulator. At idle it would run just fine but as soon as i tried to drive it the vacuum would drop for the regulator and it would be enough for it to do what it does.
Old 02-22-2016, 08:34 PM

re

check voltage to fuel pump, dealing with same problem mine loses voltage when throttle/electrical load applied and motor dies or stutters nearly stalling. suspecting mine to be the circuit opening relay.... 3.0 95 4runner
Old 02-25-2016, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by ZRTALPHA1
I fixed my problem, it ended up being a misplaced airline im guessing from the previous owner. It was line that ran to the fuel pressure regulator. At idle it would run just fine but as soon as i tried to drive it the vacuum would drop for the regulator and it would be enough for it to do what it does.
I recently had the same symptoms with my '88 22RE. Sometimes it wouldn't start, but when it did it would idle all day long until you rev the motor or put it in gear (auto) and gave it throttle.

Turned out to be a week fuel pump. I could hear the pump running but the pitch was low and it made an occassional grinding sound.

I replaced the pump (and bracket & part of the hard fuel line which I broke attempting to remove the pump) and the problem was solved.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:55 PM

I had the same problem with my 88 Toyota 22re truck. Switched out the fuel filter, no change. It started fine, idled fine, and then give it a little gas and it stalls. Originally I was pressing the gas peddle all the way down for a minute just to get it to put, put a little. I tried leaving my key in the on position for a minute first and that helped a little but still had the same problem. hen I had the truck sent to get the computer repaired since it wasn't able to read to error codes. When it got back fixed, the problem went away, so maybe it is a computer issue.

Quick Reply: Truck stalls when I hit the gas