Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Transmission Troubles

Old 04-09-2012, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Troubles

Hey been lurking for a while, I don't post much.

Wondering if anyone has any advice on this situation.

Since my girlfriend got her 94 3.0L Manual trans. It has always made a grinding sound when going into reverse, As if the clutch wasn't fully dis-engaged. But went through the rest of the gears nicely.

Now when going into first the shifter goes into the 1st gear position fine. As you start to let the clutch out slowly you have to either push hard on the shifter towards the 1st gear position or it will kick it back into neutral.

If you hold it in the 1st gear position and let the clutch out slowly you can feel a pop in the shifter and then first gear works totally normal after that, even after disengaging the clutch several times it never pops back out of gear as long as you don't shift from first.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine will kick out of first with even the slightest backward pressure on the shifter. I have made it a habit to always push slightly on the shifter when leaving a light. Mine also slightly grinds when going into reverse but shifts smooth in all other gears.

I just chalk it up to 180,000 miles. It doesn't bother me that much.

I know this doesn't help you but the alternative is a rebuild.....I think.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm fairly new to YotaTech and just recently bought my first Toyota. I'm no expert but i know some people that have had similar problems and it turned out to be the shifter seal. Pull the boot off your shifter and check the seal where it goes into the transmission.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ X2, check the shifter bushing and seat, could solve your first gear and reverse problem.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
Reverse has no syncro; if you're moving at all or the clutch isn't all the way down, it can/will grind.

Also, I completely agree on the shifter bushing. Contact Marlin Crawler for a top-notch replacement.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^x3. Marlin Crawler's shifter seat bushing and shift knob bushing will eliminate popping out of any gear. And it's like under $20 + shipping. Nearly everyone I know who has done it says it feels like a new transmission!

Reverse gear grinding... on top of what was said above... from a complete stop, clutch to the floor, you should hear a "clack" as it enters reverse. No grinding, unless your clutch isn't disengaging (in which case it's time to check the hydraulics).
Old 04-11-2012, 07:13 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
whutface,

I can't say with certainty if our heavy duty shifter seat & socket will remedy your 1st gear engagement issue. I think it's gonna be a toss up. It could either be a worn out seat, socket, or both, or it could be much more serious such as a worn out shift fork, shift collar, or even a main shaft bearing and/or fatigued bearing retainer plate (the later however would give troubles in other gears as well which you have not reported).

Nonetheless, I highly recommend seeing if our HD shifter parts will remedy the issue, for the following reasons: They are just $10 & $6 each, are easily replaced literally from the drivers seat (could even be done with no tools if you have strong gorilla thumbs), and later if you find the transmission does need to be replaced or rebuilt, they may be reused, are transferable, and are designed to provide years and years and years of shifting performance (far outlasts OEM counterparts).

So I'll keep my fingers crossed that they will fix the issue and you won't have to pull her transmission out!!

Here is more info:
Many YotaTech Testimonials: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f105...socket-236453/
HD Seat (she'll need the White seat): http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...ver-ball-seats
HD Socket (she'll need the $6 option): http://www.marlincrawler.com/transmi...t-lever-socket
Install instructions: http://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/gu...t-installation

Made in USA!

Regarding reverse gear, I was just talking about it here:
Originally Posted by BigMike
...by design reverse is the most difficult gear to engage for the following four reasons: 1) It does not have the aid of synchros, 2) It must displace an idler gear which is heavier and requires more force to move than a shift hub, 3) It must engage three gears instead of two (idler, output, and 1st-2nd slider), and 4) it's the lowest gear ratio in the entire transmission (with the exception of the R151F).

If you have either a 1986-1987 Turbo or a 1988-1995 6-cylinder truck, then their early style R-series transmission is notorious for difficulty in engaging reverse. I've driven many of these trucks and it's not a shifting issue as so much as it is an interlock and tooth interference issue. My advice is to come to a complete stop in neutral, keeping the clutch engaged shift to 5th gear, then shift back to neutral, and then try to engage reverse. This rotates the counter shaft and moves the safety interlock pin and is the best bet at getting reverse to engage straight away....
Keep this up updated whutface and it's time to start posting more often LOL *waves*

Regards,
BigMike

Last edited by BigMike; 04-11-2012 at 07:16 AM.