Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Mount Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Mount Help!

Happy Friday,

I'm in the process of replacing the transmission mount on my 86 4Runner w/auto trans since the old one is super rotted out. I was able to get all of the bolts free and the transmission jacked up a couple of inches. I put a piece of wood in between the jack and the transmission pan and didn't see any sort of issue with doing that. The only thing I'm having trouble with now is getting the actual mount out. It wiggles around and I was even able to get it up and off of the frame, but the top two mount pieces jam up into the transfer case, resulting in it being impossible to remove. I was initially thinking that the mount is 2 pieces because this one is haha. There's a center bolt that goes through the mount, keeping the top part secure against the rubber bushings and the bottom part. However, on the new mount, that's not the case. The entire mount is very solid and even removing the center bolt wouldn't cause the parts to separate. Does anyone know a trick [another jack location, perhaps?] to replacing the transmission mount? I didn't want to jack the tranny up any more w/fear of damaging linkage or pinching something. I'd REALLY appreciate the help. Thanks, as always!
Old 10-14-2017, 10:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you remove the cross member?
Old 10-14-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
you need to support the trans and then remove the crossmember. 4 19mm(i think) bolts on either side. big impact works great to remove them.