Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Transmission Lurching, Idle Surging

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission Lurching, Idle Surging

Hello all,

I have three issues with my new to me 91 4x4 4banger, which may or may not be related. I have searched and think I have an answer for two of the issues, but need help with the first.

1) When I am in lower gears (usually first or second, sometimes third) and I am coasting, the transmission lurches with a fair amount of force if I let off the gas and coast. Then, if I feather the accelerator, it'll lurch again. I have no idea why this is happening.

2) I am getting the surging idle, usually sitting at red light with the truck in neutral and the clutch in, it revs up and down every couple seconds. My guess here is that the throttle body or that idle control screw needs inspection/replacing.

3) When I turn sharply, I get a pretty loud bang or thunk coming from the front. I am thinking the steering stops need to be replaced.

Does anyone have an idea why the transmission is lurching? It is directly tied to the accelerator, as in the moment I take off the gas it lurches back like it's hitting a higher torque, and then when I hit the gas at all, it lurches forward. And can this be related to the other two issues?

Thanks in advance,

Cheeks
Old 02-14-2017, 02:18 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
how does the throttle behave when in neutral?
Old 02-14-2017, 04:54 PM

It surges, like it's revving up and then drops off, repeats this until I put it into gear and start moving. Seems to go away after the truck has been running for a while (20+ mins at least)
Old 02-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
it surges at idle, but what happens when you throttle it in neutral?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by thook
it surges at idle, but what happens when you throttle it in neutral?
Sorry, didn't see this earlier. If I'm in neutral, the throttle surges. The periods between surging seems to change when I have no pedals depressed, and then get slower when I either have the clutch in or the brake in.

The transmission lurch seems to happen whenever I tap the brakes and then get back on the gas (stop and go traffic). It feels like this is happening somewhere within the transmission of driveshaft