Notices
86-95 Trucks & 4Runners 2nd/3rd gen pickups, and 1st/2nd gen 4Runners with IFS

Toyota rookie...need some info

Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Toyota rookie...need some info

hows it goin guys. Got my first Toyota 91 single cab 5 speed Pickup not too long ago..and I've always had Duramaxs but got this little truck as a daily. Wanted to hear some of you guys input on what I should do to it to make it last longer, etc. Just main mods that all you guys do.

Also had a couple of questions...
1) what year seats bolt directly in? It's got a bench and I want buckets with a center console.

2) I've read a couple things about cluster swaps..what should I look into getting? I'd like to have rpms if all possible.

I remember when I got my first diesel and had to learn all about it...eventually looked forward to teaching other guys once I understood. I'd love to get a little input from you guys who have been around it your whole life...i appreciate the help guys.

Thanks
Old 03-23-2017, 12:11 AM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Daily driver !!

You might just want to give it a good tune up and maybe change all the fluids .

Look at the rubber hoses and belts

Depending on what engine and miles timing chain/ Belt

again depending on miles steering and suspension parts

After all it does have some age to it.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:58 AM

I gotcha. Yeah it's a 22re 5 speed. It got a fresh motor rebuild 20k miles ago. Brand new brakes all around. Very taken well of truck
Old 03-23-2017, 08:37 PM

Clean looking truck, look into 2nd gen 4runner seats they may bolt right in. Other wise you will probably have to fab a new seat bracket.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
The bench seat is just 4 bolts, pull them out and pull the carpet/vinyl up and see if you have the center mount points for buckets. If not you'll have to fab the mounts or drill holes though the cab and bolt though the cab to mount the seats. 4runner bucket seats are probably the easiest to find for that era, for cheaper, there's a lot of first gen Tacoma's are dieing with the frame rot problem, so maybe the buckets from them are a good fit.

Your truck looks a lot like my 96 tacoma, even has tundra rims (mine were factory silver though). Mine had the body graphics though.

Anyway, depending where you live, you might want to really look into preserving the frame/bottom of the body. Up north salt is used and it rots things out quick. The frames rot from the inside out typically, big time when there's dirt, sand, etc stuck in the frame (down side of a boxed frame).

For keeping it going, besides checking maintenance items, belts, seals etc, well it's a toyota... pretty much you just drive it. I've put 75k miles on my 97 Corolla (300k now), and only had one repair I had to do.. a cracked radiator tank. Tacoma I got 15k out of before the frame problem hit me while hauling wood. Camry I got 60k on and had to replace a window regulator and currently it has rotted out fuel and brake lines (300k miles and orig lines). The #1 killer for Toyota's seems to be not keeping a good eye on fluids. I've bought a lot of Toyota cars and trucks for parts/scrap and almost every one of them with a bad engine or trans was ran with out fluid (leaked out or wasn't filled before driving).

If you take care of your truck, you'll hit 300k easy. 400-600k isn't unheard of, I have a 92 with the 3.0L v6 with 512k miles and it still runs and drives, just the body is rustier than most, it's 2wd (4x4 is kind of needed up north), and it's a bit weak on power (likely rings need replaced).

Search this Thread